Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Surprise dance for groom

I'm a dancer and would love to surprise my groom with a lyrical dance choreographed just for him at the reception. I'll definitely have to change dresses for the dance. What do y'all think? Too much hassle to change from the ballgown dress to lyrical dress and back to ballgown? 

Re: Surprise dance for groom

• Options

Agree with posters.  After sitting through the spotlight dances people want to hit the dance floor, not watch yet, ANOTHER dance where all you can do is stand there and pretend to be interested.

Save it for the honeymoon - he might really like that.

• Options
    I agree with PPs.

1) Wedding day surprises for the couple, when they might already be feeling stressed by all the demands on their attention plus a number of things that could go wrong, just aren't a good idea.  Save the surprises for some other occasion.

2) Spotlight dances keep your guests, the majority of the people there, from participating actively while at the same time treating them as a captive audience.  They'll tune out if there are too many.  The couple's first dance, plus parent dances, are enough.  Don't add another dance, especially a choreographed dance, to the list of dances your guests have to sit through without getting to participate themselves.  It's too AWish.
  • Options
    I'm also a dancer, and agree with PPs.  It's too much for a wedding reception.

I've had friends do "flash mob" first dances, and (IMHO) they took way too long, were a little AW-ish, and were kind of stressful for the guests they asked to learn 5 minutes of choreography two weeks before the wedding.
  • Options

Please dont do this. It is very AW-ish. And your guests dont want to sit through yet another dance. They will get bored.

I agree with PPs, either do this in your hotel room the night of teh wedding or save it for the HM.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a dancer and would love to surprise my groom with a lyrical dance choreographed just for him at the reception. I'll definitely have to change dresses for the dance. What do y'all think? Too much hassle to change from the ballgown dress to lyrical dress and back to ballgown? 

JIC
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree, very AW-ish. If I were a guest, I would be confused and holding in a major eyeroll. It's a wedding, not a talent show.
  • Options
    I too, would be holding in a major eye roll.  I detest these types of things.  These things can be done in private if you want to do it for him.
  • Options
    I would be majorly uncomfortable watching this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree with PPs.

1) Wedding day surprises for the couple, when they might already be feeling stressed by all the demands on their attention plus a number of things that could go wrong, just aren't a good idea.  Save the surprises for some other occasion.

2) Spotlight dances keep your guests, the majority of the people there, from participating actively while at the same time treating them as a captive audience.  They'll tune out if there are too many.  The couple's first dance, plus parent dances, are enough.  Don't add another dance, especially a choreographed dance, to the list of dances your guests have to sit through without getting to participate themselves.  It's too AWish.

So much this.  Honestly, I would be pissed if FI surprised me with something, besides a love letter or something small, on the day of the wedding.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks for the input. I won't be doing it then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards