Chit Chat
Options

Ladies with IUD's - Possible TMI

Have any of you had yours switched out and replaced at the same time??  I'm getting mine switched out for a new one tomorrow and I'm just curious if it sucked as much as the first time.  I know the out isn't too bad, but last time I cramped pretty bad for a few days after the insertion.  Fingers crossed my body is a little more used to it now and knows what's coming.  On another note, I am super jealous of the American's who can have a Paraguard for 10 years.  I was informed by my Dr. when I asked that they're not available in Canada, and our Nova-T only ssts 3 years.  Boo us.  

Re: Ladies with IUD's - Possible TMI

• Options
    I don't have an IUD, but a friend of mine did, and she said it was fine. She had a little cramping, but she said it was really mild and only lasted a day or so. 

HTH!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for me too!!  Thanks HGF

• Options
    I had the Mirena; and the removal sucked BALLS.  I was in more pain having it removed than having it put in. 

That said, I'll be interested to hear how it turns out for you.  I want my Mirena reinserted ASAP after my WeeNut's born, and I've ALWAYS wondered how it worked to have an IUD removed and replaced; heck, I wasn't even sure if they'd do it on the same day (goes to show you what I know!).

Will you do an update if you remember @WinstonsGirl please? 
  • Options
    Will do, since I might not be doing much except curling up with a heat pack, drugs, liquor and chocolate.  ;)

• Options
    Are you having yours inserted while on your cycle? You should cramp for a little bit but a little bit of Advil could help. I can't wait to remove my IUD but it will be awhile.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Good luck! Once mine comes out, we're going to be trying to have kids, so I won't have it replaced. I might have it put back in immediately after we're done having kids (like, right after giving birth), mostly because I LOVE Mirena so much and don't get periods anymore.

I hope removal isn't as bad as insertion. Like I said, I love my IUD, but goodness, insertion was not very fun.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    @MrsLynn, of course.  I should start either today or tomorrow, but I'm spotting already, so I should be good.  

@phira - DH actually offered to get snipped (even before we got married) again, but I said as much as it sucks, it was easier for me to get it swapped out versus him going in for minor day surgery.  We're 99.9% sure we don't want kids, but I don't want him to have to get a reversal if we change our minds.  He thought about it for 2 seconds and agreed with me.  

• Options
    I had the paragard about 8 years ago and lasted a little over a year with it, it gave me horrible cycles.

I had the Mirena put in Nov 2012 and when my cycles stopped in Feb I started getting awful back pains only on my lower right side. I've had all kinds of testing done and nothing has shown up and when I started looking online it seems to be a pretty common occurance. That said I'm done with IUD's and am having mine removed tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up @shaylagirl as I was under the impression the removal wouldn't hurt at all
  • Options
    I had the ParaGard for about five years. It was the best thing ever. Removal was so easy. Afterward, I was like, "That's it!?" I didn't have another one inserted because we're trying to conceive now, but I'm sending you positive thoughts for yours!

And yes, definitely hold off on the vasectomy until you're sure. We're trying to conceive after my husband had his reversed. It's ... not fun.
  • Options
    @winstonsgirl - Good luck! You will be fine. :) Talenti Gelato ice cream made me feel better after getting my Mirena inserted.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Good luck! I don't have any advice because I'm getting my first IUD inserted next week. My gyn gave me a prescription for Cytotec to take 6 o 8 hours before insertion. This supposedly helps my cervix to dialate slightly and helps aid the insertion process since I've never given birth. It might be too late to ask your doctor about it though since your procedure is tomorrow.

• Options
    phiraphira member

@phira - DH actually offered to get snipped (even before we got married) again, but I said as much as it sucks, it was easier for me to get it swapped out versus him going in for minor day surgery.  We're 99.9% sure we don't want kids, but I don't want him to have to get a reversal if we change our minds.  He thought about it for 2 seconds and agreed with me.  
    My partner plans to get a vasectomy when we're done having kids (or, if fertility is a problem, when we're done trying to have biological kids). Of course, if I prefer Mirena, he might not, but it's entirely up to me. I've been primarily responsible for birth control during our relationship, and the IUD insertion was really rough on me. We figure that all that + some pregnancies, and it's his turn for a medical procedure.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I have had the children discussion many times. I am 23 and he is almost 37. I am in no way mentally ready for children and he has always kind of dismissed the idea of having kids after he turns 40. We are mostly on the side of no of having kids anyways because I just think I am too selfish to want to give up my life that way. We have many children in our life we love and can be a good aunt and uncle too. I have brought up the idea of him maybe getting snipped at 40 or 45 if firmly move to the "no side" 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I just recently ordered an IUD (Mirena) and am just waiting on scheduling an insertion!
  • Options
     Good luck! I'm on my first IUD, & as much as I'm glad I did it, because it's sooo much easier, it *sucked* to have put in! If you remember, let me know how it is to have it removed! Mine's good for 5 years, but I'm thinking I may have it removed earlier if we decide to have kids before then. Just not looking forward to it, if it's anything like it was going in! (Lol). 

*J
  • Options
    Good luck! I don't have any advice because I'm getting my first IUD inserted next week. My gyn gave me a prescription for Cytotec to take 6 o 8 hours before insertion. This supposedly helps my cervix to dialate slightly and helps aid the insertion process since I've never given birth. It might be too late to ask your doctor about it though since your procedure is tomorrow.
    Yeah, it's too late for this, and I didn't have it the first time either.  That's why they say do it on your period, cos you're lubed up a bit and the cervix opens slightly.  

I'l let everyone know how much "fun" I have tomorrow.  Not looking forward to this.  

• Options
    phiraphira member
    @Jennycolada Good luck! The insertion isn't THE WORST THING EVER, but it's certainly not enjoyable. It's different for everyone, too, which means that you might have an okay experience, or it might be excruciating.

For me, I had been warned that it was like really bad menstrual cramps. I also have had ovarian cysts rupture, and I have a super high pain threshold, so I figured, whatever, I'll be fine. Unfortunately, from what I was told AFTER (other folks can back me up on this or disagree--I'm curious), it's actually more like labor pains, not menstrual cramps. My partner came with me and ended up having to coach my breathing a little bit.

However, and this is the weird thing, after about a half hour of recovery, I couldn't even really remember the details, besides OW OW OW OMG HOLY SHIT OW. So while I remember that I was in pain, I don't actually remember the feeling of the pain. It's very weird.

I took the rest of the day off to rest, and I was crampy the rest of the week, but otherwise, I was totally fine.

Weird TMI IUD question for everyone: Do any of you check for the strings? I did for the first couple of months, but I've never been able to feel them! My partner can't either, and my doctor only can by using a speculum.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AllOnOneDayAllOnOneDay member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I swapped my Mirena for a Skyla on the same day. Curse my anxiety if you must, but Cytotec, Valium, Ativan and Ultram made everything into the "huh, that hurts, but why do I care" reality.

Skyla is Mirena in smaller form. Much less randomly pokey. I'm at 4 months and haven't gotten my period back, but Skyla is a lower dose and thus really doesn't stop your period generally vs Mirena. Plus Skyla is approved for under 18 and/or nulliparous, where Mirena is off label then.

@ phira - with Mirena in, could always feel the strings. With Skyla, because Mirena had been so obnoxious with the strings, my provider cut the strings off entirely. If everything is right, I can just feel the end on my cervix, but otherwise no. So I check more to not feel anything.
  • Options
    @phira - I could feel mine after they went in, but after DH and I had sex for the first time after, they got shoved up to my cervix by DH and I haven't felt them since, nor has he.  Dr. hasn't bothered checking either, actually, though I know it's there cos I get very minor cramping every month, which I never had before.  

• Options
    One of my BMs got an IUD a couple months ago. Insertion was a bitch for her. Then she had a check up and it had shifted out of place. She had to get an ultrasound to make sure. She went back and forth about getting another one inserted, but since it could happen again, she decided not to. She had it out today and said it hurt, but not as much coming out as going in.
  • Options
    shaylagirlshaylagirl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2014
    phira said:
    Weird TMI IUD question for everyone: Do any of you check for the strings? I did for the first couple of months, but I've never been able to feel them! My partner can't either, and my doctor only can by using a speculum.
    I never checked for the strings.  I did tell the doc who inserted my Mirena to cut them short since I'd read about (and talked with) guys who complained about the strings causing them irritation. 

I'm also glad I took a full day off on the day of insertion and had someone drive me.  Mostly because the cramping was pretty awful and I'd hate to have driven the 30+ minutes to get home while trying not to twist in some pain behind the wheel (I'm such a wuss).

I will say that it IS possible that my removal hurt so bad because my doctor had an intern, and the doc asked me prior if I was okay allowing the intern to attempt to remove it, and I said, sure, no problem.  I think the intern struggled, but it still hurt even when my doc stepped in to complete the removal because I was in just too much pain.  I'd had my Mirena for 3+ years by that point.

That said, the 5 months post-removal SUCKED!!!  I'd forgotten what a real period was like.  I missed my little "spotting for 4 or 5 hours, then we're done" period on my Mirena.

I hope today goes smoothly for you @WinstonsGirl!!  :) 
  • Options
    I have the Skyla IUD. Insertion fucking SUCKED (I was not on my period because I didn't get a period on my last BCP either) but I couldn't be happier now. My doctor actually has you come back in a month after insertion for an ultrasound to make sure everything looks ok. 

@WinstonsGirl - Good luck! I'm really interested to hear how having it removed and a new one put in goes. 

@phira - I can't find my strings at all either. 

• Options
    I swapped my Mirena for a Skyla on the same day. Curse my anxiety if you must, but Cytotec, Valium, Ativan and Ultram made everything into the "huh, that hurts, but why do I care" reality. Skyla is Mirena in smaller form. Much less randomly pokey. I'm at 4 months and haven't gotten my period back, but Skyla is a lower dose and thus really doesn't stop your period generally vs Mirena. Plus Skyla is approved for under 18 and/or nulliparous, where Mirena is off label then. @ phira - with Mirena in, could always feel the strings. With Skyla, because Mirena had been so obnoxious with the strings, my provider cut the strings off entirely. If everything is right, I can just feel the end on my cervix, but otherwise no. So I check more to not feel anything.
    I just want to point out that I have a Mirena and have never had children. If your gyno tells you you can't get Mirena because you've never had children, find another gyno. 

And no, I don't check for strings - mostly because I'm skeevy about knowing what they feel like. I have this thing in my head where I feel like they'll feel like insect legs or something, and I don't want to know. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    phiraphira member
    Yeah, the reason why Mirena isn't recommended for women who've never had children is because it's often more stressful to insert it. But it's not THAT much more stressful, and certainly not much different than, say, Paragard. So yeah, like @BriSox81 says, if your doctor says no Mirena before kids, your doctor is wrong.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've been dying to know about all this but too shy to ask, so thanks everyone for answering. I want to get off the stupid BCP but I've been dreading the pain of an IUD. I guess if I can survive five cervical biopsies in one sitting I can handle the insertion and removal?

For those who have it, do you ever like feel it inside you? Does it make premenstrual symptoms better or worse?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've been dying to know about all this but too shy to ask, so thanks everyone for answering. I want to get off the stupid BCP but I've been dreading the pain of an IUD. I guess if I can survive five cervical biopsies in one sitting I can handle the insertion and removal?

For those who have it, do you ever like feel it inside you? Does it make premenstrual symptoms better or worse?
    It's not really that bad. If you can handle some cramping, you will be fine. I got mine inserted on the second day of my cycle. The insertion was a bit painful for just a few minutes and then when my NP was done. I felt the cramps coming on and I just tolerated with it. 

I'm one of the people who wasn't lucky to get a period after the Mirena. I still get periods but it's very little and light. I still get cramps though but overall, it's nice to have it. I was always forgetful with the BCP and the Nuvaring. 
  • Options
    And no, I don't feel it inside of me unless I check the strings. You are suppose to check once a month but if your partner can feel the strings, you can get your doctor to trim them a little bit.
  • Options
     I also have Mirena, and have never had children. Yes, it hurt/sucked to be put in, but it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't go get another one. (Plus, the process of having it done is super quick). 

@lalalaurita - I can't feel it inside of me, and neither can my H. (Also something I wondered about before having it done). The first few days after having it done, my cramps were insane. The first week was quite crampy, and it slowly got better each day. After about a month, I wasn't cramping anymore. My premenstrual symptoms are about the same. (Possible TMI: Right now, I generally just spot when I'd normally get my period). The DR said that's normal for the first 6 months or so. (I got mine done in December). 

As I said before, it's definitely UNenjoyable to have done, BUT it's sooo nice not to worry about BCP every day! I'd definitely get another one, because I feel it's worth it! 

*J
  • Options
    I can't feel mine, though I did get cramps with my period, but they toned down over about 6-8 months.  now it's just a dull uncomfortable feeling of cramps.  I was on the couch for the rest of the day after the first one, and had pretty bad cramps for the next few days.  So, I guess my periods got a bit worse, cos of the minor cramping.  I used to use BCP but wanted to try something non-hormonal.  Nothing changed by the way.  

• Options
    phiraphira member
    Can't feel mine at all. After the insertion (immediately, and for a couple of days), I definitely felt uncomfortable, because my uterus was protesting the whole "WE PUT SOMETHING UP IN YOU" thing. But since those first few days, it's basically like nothing's any different. Sometimes, I forget I'm even on birth control.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards