Chit Chat
Options

Are you still best friends with your high school best friend?

It's Saturday night and FI is out cold so I'm watching ridiculous Lifetime movies about high school girls and it's really making me miss my high school best friend. We were together every day, practically like sisters. We had a stupid falling out a few years ago and I've tried to be friends with her a million times but it's just not going to happen. It's a long, weird story (neither of us did anything terrible to the other one, just a culmination of growing up, growing apart, and hurt feelings). Someone make me feel better and tell me that you are in the same boat lol 

Re: Are you still best friends with your high school best friend?

• Options
    I'm not. I have a best friend from college!

image   image   image

• Options
    There isn't a single person I was close with in high school who I still talk to, beside my sisters. There are only a few left from college who've survived the test of time. (Graduated college in 05)

• Options
    I'm not. I have a best friend from college!
    Yay me too!! My first class of my first day she sat next to me and I am so happy she did! 

• Options
    I love my hs bf. She was a huge part of my life for many wonderful years. I went away to college and afterwards our lives went in different directions.

We are not nearly as close as we once were. We see each other every few months or so, and talk infrequently. But we both love each other and love catching up when we can. I do have some sadness about it, but I just accept that this is life.

Wow, thinking about it has made me a little sad now. When I think about the young, silly, girls we once were, I get a little teary.
  • Options
    I am still best friends with my ELEMENTARY school best friend...and she's sitting right next to me! :) She and I have been BFF's since we were 8 and still are to this day (we are 23), we have had our arguments and disagreements but she's like my sister now and always will be. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AlexisA01AlexisA01 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I didn't attend high school and skipped it due to early college but I still remain friends with those I would have went to high school went. We are in each others' wedding and hang out during the holidays. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    I am still very close with my hs best friend. She was a bridesmaid at my wedding last night. We are not as close as we were but that is because we are adults now with busy lives. When we are together its as fun as always.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    @cruffino At least you guys get together and catch up- I would love to do that with her but she blows me off when I try. 

@keptinstitches Our fall out started with her wedding too! Ugh I wish she didn't grow up into a special snowflake psycho! 

• Options
    I never had a girlfriend like that in high school. Well I did for like two months but it didn't last. I get along with guys better, but lost all my guy friends when I started dating FI in high school. Apparently one of them liked me and couldn't handle me dating.  The rest of the guys followed him. 

I do have friends that I keep in touch with, but I was never inseparable with anyone in hs. One girl from middle school. We were super close but went to different high schools and lost touch. Then in college we hung out on every break. Talking with her is so much fun and we never miss a beat. It is ridiculous how fast we talk to each other, sometimes at the same time, and how we keep up.  My college bff I still talk to and we google chat all the time. I don't really have a grad school bff. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope.  We keep in touch, but not best friends.   No reason other than life got in the way.  She had a baby, moved to Memphis, got married had another baby.  I moved to the islands living the single life.

Cell phones and texting were not popular (I don't think texting even was around yet).  I didn't have a computer (had to keep up with email).  Time difference, especially with my work schedule.  

My sister is still in touch with her BF, but they are not best buddies.  They have lunch every so often, but again life got in the way.  Add the life in different towns.  It just gets hard with kids and such.

My aunts is still good friends with everyone she hung around with since like elementary school.  Aunt is 80 years old, but she gets together with her best girl friends that are still alive at least one a month, if not more.     

My mom stayed pretty close to her elementary school friend until she died last year.  Not BF as my mom moved a lot, but whenever they did get together it was like no time had past.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Nope. Lived with her in college and haven't spoken to her since!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm still friends with most of my high school (middle school/elementary school) friends, but my best friend is a friend from college.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I don't have a ton of friends from high school (social anxiety coupled with being skipped ahead and younger than everyone will do that), but I'm still close to two HS chums and one college BFF (whom I set up on a blind date with her now-DH.)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I am not, but we still have each other on Facebook, that's about it. We used to be inseparable but then I went to college and she stayed where she is. We kept contact for a while and I tried hard to keep the friendship going but she didn't seem to ever want to talk to me anymore and so I gave up trying and wouldn't hear from her for months at a time. It was inevitable that we'd drift apart, but it's too bad. She wasn't what I would call a best friend anymore at the end of the day though (she got angry when she learned I applied for college, she was unhappy when I left for college, whenever someone else would call me their best friend or whenever I'd call someone else my best friend she'd get upset and she wasn't very happy about it when I started dating my Fi although she already had a relationship of her own that was apparently going very well).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have several friends from high school I'm still in touch with, but I wouldn't say I had one best friend.  College is really where I made the really tight, lasting friendships.  All my BMs are college friends (or family).

The girl I was probably closest to, actually we do not speak at all anymore and I'm not sure why.  Up until this summer, we would see each other every few months and call and text very frequently.  For some reason, and I still can't figure out why, she just stopped responding to all texts and phone calls from me.  Finally I just stopped calling.  It was sad and really made me obsess for a little while over whether I did something to her, but I can't think of anything.

My mom has a theory that it's because I waited to choose my BMs until closer to the wedding, this girl assumed I had not chosen her and got all butthurt about it.  Ironically, she would have definitely been a BM if she would return my calls!  I have no idea if this is true but knowing her personality, it makes sense.  She was always a little immature and dramatic.  I miss her sometimes because we had been friends since we were Girl Scouts together in elementary school.  But I recognize she could be a toxic friend at times.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Nope nope nope.  My first high school bff was the exact opposite of me, extrovert, high energy, drew in guys like a magnet, etc.) which worked great for 2 years, we were inseparable. And then I watched her used people to her advantage, until she finally did so to me.  She tried to contact me recently as if nothing had happened, yeah right.

My second high school bff saw what my first did to me, and was my bff through graduation and for a couple years later until she got pregnant and unhappily married at 20. Then she became verbally and emotionally abusive towards me and I cut ties. This happened a few times (I genuinely loved her and am very forgiving). She finally volunteered to part ways after admitting she didn't care about my feelings or my life (gee, thanks) and recently tried to contact me via Facebook (after she heard about our engagement), letting off a new stream of abuse and I finally called her on it (I used the words verbal and emotional abuse) and told her to never contact me again. 

Lesson Learned: Most high school girls = too much drama
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This might sound weird but do any of you have dreams about that person? I have them all the time and they are really awkward because even in the dream we are not friends. 
    But I also have dreams weekly about my house I grew up in (lived there for 22 years and I'm still bitter that parents sold it 8 years ago). Maybe I need to see a psychologist about letting go of things? lol 

• Options
    yes.    Just the other day I had a dream with friends or even not really friends from HS.  I'm like what is so-n-so in my dream?  I haven't seen them in forever, not even FB friends with them.

Very strange.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    jenna8984 said: This might sound weird but do any of you have dreams about that person? I have them all the time and they are really awkward because even in the dream we are not friends. But I also have dreams weekly about my house I grew up in (lived there for 22 years and I'm still bitter that parents sold it 8 years ago). Maybe I need to see a psychologist about letting go of things? lol 
    ----Stupid TK boxes

I had a dream recently about my not-anymore HS friend and in the dream, the whole thing was a big misunderstanding and she was really angry I hadn't been calling her for the past few months.  I was like, "I left
    you messages!"  I woke up sort of confused and sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    My elementary school best friend and I are still good friends, but not as close as we once were. My high school friends were a really tight knit group, and it makes me really sad that we parted ways and fell out of contact. Halfway through college I rarely spoke to any of them. We just all got busy.
  • Options
    Nope, no dreams either.
  • Options
    No dreams about ex-BFFs, but my dreas are crazy enough without that element, thanks.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I'm still best friends with my elementary school best friend. He is the best. Actually he is walking me down the aisle and introduced me to FI.
  • Options
    My high school BF started distancing herself from me when she started law school. I was and am very hurt that she withdrew from me after I'd been there for her through some hard times. I know people grow apart, but she bailed on me completely. I recently googled her and saw that she got married. I used to think we'd be eachother's MOH. Now we're not even a part of each other's lives.

• Options
    Absolutely! We've actually been friends since elementary school. We both went to a very small, rural K-12 school and have actually lived with each other at different points in our lives. She's like a sister to me, and is actually my MOH. =) I'm 25 and she's 24, so we've been friends for... wow, over 15 years now!
  • Options
    The only person from high school I am really friends with (outside of being "friends" on Facebook) is an ex boyfriend.  I didn't really have a best friend in high school, I had a couple different groups of friends but I went guess I just went a different direction with my life.  Sometimes it makes me sad because a lot of them kept it touch and are pretty close but I moved out of the country shortly after high school and when I got back things had changed for me.  I do have two friends from early childhood that I have stayed in contact with but we aren't super close. 

As far as dreams go, I had a really close friend from the time I was 3 until I was 10 or 11 and after we stopped being friends I had dreams about her for years.  The dreams were always similar, I would just be watching her live out a day in her life- going to school or whatever she was up to (or what my brain decided she might be up to).  I wasn't "in" in the dream and were weren't friend in them, I would just be observing her.  I had them about three or four  times a year.   The dreams didn't stop until she reached out to me on Facebook about four years ago.  We aren't friends now but we are Facebook friends and I guess that gave me some sort of closure. 
  • Options
    I'm sorta in the same boat. Our relationship never went past gossiping and exchanging fart jokes and watching horror movies. I still text her daily and we always share stuff on facebook, but I can't tell her anything serious. I can't trust her. We just kept our relationship on a very basic level. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @thesummersky that's amazing!! I'm mildly jealous

• Options
    @jasperandopal her and I ran into each other at a mutual friend's wedding. We stared at each other all night not knowing what to do. Finally at the end we went outside together and just started bawling about how we missed each other and we wanted to reconnect. My dreams stopped after that but then I tried for months to hang out with her and she blew me off every time so we were in the same boat as before the wedding and the dreams came back. I seriously just wish my brain and subconscious would let her go since I have given up on us ever reconnecting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards