Chit Chat
Options

Do you wear your ring while travelling?

Re: Do you wear your ring while travelling?

• Options
    I'm sorry but I still think not wearing your rings while travelling abroad is ridiculous.  If you are aware of your surroundings then you know to be cautious, but then again, that is what insurance is for so that if anything does happen to your ring it can be replaced.  I just think people take things a bit over board when it comes to wearing them certain places and doing certain things with them on, etc. If you are that concerned about your rings then why have them in the first place?

• Options
    Mine is off when I sleep (my hand is under my cheek most nights), and therefore when I shower and when I'm working with meat.  

I do have a "fake" ring.  I bought one that was sinilar to my wedding band, but silver.   Originally it was for some travel, and I'm glad I have it.  I wore it when we were in Egypt and Turkey and while waiting at the walk up ice cream McDonals window in Istanbul, a random guy started talking to me and asking me how my visit was (HM).  When he heard it was our HM, he actually grabbed my had to check out my ring.  He was disappointed that my DH hadn't gotten me a bigger ring.  Travelling in North America, I wear my regular one.  I'll wear it to Iceland/Europe this summer, but not to Africa next year.  And yes, I know it could get stolen here, but other places in the world just feel more risky.  

I also have it cos I don't like going without a ring anymore.  It feels weird.  I'm wearing the travel ring at the moment, since I caught my ring on luggage last trip and the centre stone is loose and in for repairs at the moment.  It gives me something else to wear.   

• Options
    I have a diamond and it's 14k white gold. I take it off to shower and sleep and if I'm cooking something messy.  Otherwise it's on all the time.  I'm debating whether or not to bring the rings on our HM to Belize or just leave them home.  They are insured but still....

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm sorry but I still think not wearing your rings while travelling abroad is ridiculous.  If you are aware of your surroundings then you know to be cautious, but then again, that is what insurance is for so that if anything does happen to your ring it can be replaced.  I just think people take things a bit over board when it comes to wearing them certain places and doing certain things with them on, etc. If you are that concerned about your rings then why have them in the first place?

You're right, in hindsight that's probably why I didn't buy a "stand-in" or kept it at home. It's insured, so if something happened it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's filing a police report in a foreign country that would be an issue, but it's a learning experience...

FWIW, my mom was more worried about her camera being stolen, and I had to remind her that was insured as well. I think quelling my 68 year old mother's worries for her first time in Europe as well was a reason why I was going to leave it at home too.

Also, reading this thread, I should try to take it off when I sleep. Last winter, my hands were cold and I put my e-ring on my pointer finger before I went to bed. My hands must have gotten swollen overnight and I had to use soap and water to take the ring off! I had an indent in my finger from the ring!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options

STIB
    You're free to think it's ridiculous... won't change anything. Sure, likely nothing will happen to it, and nobody's saying it's a ridiculous idea TO bring it. But there are dozens of reasons why it makes sense to leave valuable things at home. I don't want to have to take it off to go through airport security, worry about falling asleep on the train and someone taking it, make ourselves appear to be wealthy by wearing a valuable ring and become easy targets for criminals - maybe they see it and know they can't get to the ring, but think I must have a lot of money in my purse and steal that. If it did get stolen, I would be completely up a creek trying to get a police report to give the insurance company to prove it since I don't speak enough Spanish. If we had to have it replaced, it wouldn't have the same sentimental value to me. It won't hurt anything to leave it at home. I won't be any less married, and FI knows it's not because I don't love my ring. 

• Options
    edited May 2014
    double post, damn you TK

• Options

You're right, in hindsight that's probably why I didn't buy a "stand-in" or kept it at home. It's insured, so if something happened it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's filing a police report in a foreign country that would be an issue, but it's a learning experience...

FWIW, my mom was more worried about her camera being stolen, and I had to remind her that was insured as well. I think quelling my 68 year old mother's worries for her first time in Europe as well was a reason why I was going to leave it at home too.

Also, reading this thread, I should try to take it off when I sleep. Last winter, my hands were cold and I put my e-ring on my pointer finger before I went to bed. My hands must have gotten swollen overnight and I had to use soap and water to take the ring off! I had an indent in my finger from the ring!!!

I mean I get being concerned but in the end crap can happen anywhere not just on a trip to Italy or France or whatever.  And I also don't understand the point of wearing a fake one because you are afraid of getting your real one stolen.  If you are going to get robbed you are going to get robbed so wearing a "fake" ring would be just as tempting to a robber as if you were wearing your real one because the robber doesn't know it is fake.  So in the end you still could get hurt/robbed/mugged by wearing the fake one.  I guess to me, if you are concerned about being robbed for your ring then you should just not wear your ring (or any ring) at all and leave it at home.

I guess for me, when I am going somewhere, whether that be close to home in the city or far away on a vacation I know to keep my eyes open and be aware of my surroundings.  Other then that there is not much you can do to keep yourself safe (unless you just don't go anywhere, ever) so you just need to live and wear and do what you want to do.

• Options
    I pretty much only take my ring off to shower. I intend to take it off for messier work but never quite remember to.  don't care about traveling with it or anything like that

We decided to get married together rather than through a more traditional proposal. We started running numbers around planning a wedding and decided to put the majority of the money that could have gone to a ring into inviting more guests.

My ring is small but perfect- and I feel better knowing that we didn't waste money on something that wasn't important to either of us. I'm much more excited about a wedding band! (not yet purchased but I'm thinking simple white gold)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I don't think it is ridiculous at all. Statistically, you are more likely to get robbed in a foreign country. Also if you are from Europe, Asia, ect you are more likely to get robbed when visiting a America then you are at home. It's a risk you take with international travel. The pickpockets, thieves, ect like to target the fish out of water.
  • Options

I mean I get being concerned but in the end crap can happen anywhere not just on a trip to Italy or France or whatever.  And I also don't understand the point of wearing a fake one because you are afraid of getting your real one stolen.  If you are going to get robbed you are going to get robbed so wearing a "fake" ring would be just as tempting to a robber as if you were wearing your real one because the robber doesn't know it is fake.  So in the end you still could get hurt/robbed/mugged by wearing the fake one.  I guess to me, if you are concerned about being robbed for your ring then you should just not wear your ring (or any ring) at all and leave it at home.

I guess for me, when I am going somewhere, whether that be close to home in the city or far away on a vacation I know to keep my eyes open and be aware of my surroundings.  Other then that there is not much you can do to keep yourself safe (unless you just don't go anywhere, ever) so you just need to live and wear and do what you want to do.
    Oh by "fake" ring I don't mean a fake replica of my real ring. I just mean "something cheap to physically keep on my finger so I don't keep freaking out that my ring fell off." It's a tiny fake silver twisty band from Lia Sophia or some crap a few years ago. 

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    1) Wait, so there's a jar of stuff I can basically put my ring in and it'll get clean? Are there any stones or metals this won't work for?

2) I used to scoff at decoy rings, but given that I panic when I forget my rings at home (rings = engagement ring and claddagh ring), I'm no longer judgmental about them. I don't have decoy rings right now, but it takes two seconds to pick up a cheap silver ring, so that's likely going to happen at some point.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    lolo883 about it not being a replica. More just a cheap non conspicuous band so that your not constantly thinking you've lost your ring because you're so used to wearing it.

Some of my wear and tear concerns stem from my poor mother. After 35 years of marriage and wearing her ring all the time, while out camping she must have snagged it on something and the whole setting of the ring broke off and was lost. She noticed hours later that her ring was now merely a band. She was devastated. And no amount of insurance can replace a ring that you've had for 35 years. (The ring only cost them 150$, its the sentimental value). So even though they could replace it she's not going to because it wouldnt be 'her' ring anymore. She talks all the time now about how if she had just left it at home then she would still have it. 

So thats where my whole debate on it comes from. I want to wear it all the time, and I want to wear it forever. But I also dont want to break it/lose it and lose that sentimental value of the original ring.
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I have a tiny box by the sink for when I'm doing dishes. I also don't wear it while hiking, camping, or doing anything more active or strenuous than a yoga class. My Pilates class is in a basement with a cement floor, so I tend to leave it behind for that as well. But with travelling, showering, and most other normal daily activities I keep it on. Even if I'm not leaving the house most of the day, I just like seeing it :)
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    Also, get your ring insured now if you haven't yet. It was really easy to add mine to my renter's insurance.
  • Options
    ScoutFScoutF member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    phira said:
    1) Wait, so there's a jar of stuff I can basically put my ring in and it'll get clean? Are there any stones or metals this won't work for?
    Here's a link to the site of the brand I use. I can't recommend this enough! They do have several options to choose from depending on your metal and stone.

What Jewelry Cleaner to Use
    imageimageLiquid
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Liquid
    Silver
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Liquid
    Delicate
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Diamond
    Dazzle
    Stik
    Quick CleanserJewelry
    Wipes
    Gold
    Cloth
    Silver
    Cloth
    LaSonic
    jewelry typeGold (14K, 18K, 24K)   
    Gold Plated   
    Gold Filled    
    Platinum   
    Sterling Silver      
    Sterling Silver w/Semiprecious Stones    
    Sterling Silver Antiqued    
    Silver Plate    
    Diamonds    
    Precious Stones     
    Delicate Stones       
    Pearls        
    Coral      
    Opals      
    Emeralds      
    Costume Jewelry      
    Semiprecious     
     Gemstone Type:
    Delicate: Amber, Coral, Ivory, Jadeite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Onyx, Opal and Pearl
    Precious: Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby
    Semiprecious: Amethyst, Aqua Marine, Citrine, Garnet, Peridot, Tanzanite, Topaz, Tourmaline, Tsavorite
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I am cautious about wearing my diamonds in some foreign countries, but I wouldn't wear a fake ring.  You can get knocked over the head for a CZ ring just as easily as for a diamond one.  My wedding ring is a classic gold thin band.
    I leave mine in the safe at home when I go swimming in the ocean, but since I live in Colorado now, that doesn't happen very often.
    I do wonder about these newer style rings with the tiny glued-in diamonds that surround a larger pronged-in one.  Those tiny stones are going to fall out from time to time.  An old fashioned miracle head mount is the safest (think 1940's) but the tiffany style solitaire is the fashionably safest style to choose.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I am cautious about wearing my diamonds in some foreign countries, but I wouldn't wear a fake ring.  You can get knocked over the head for a CZ ring just as easily as for a diamond one.  My wedding ring is a classic gold thin band.
    I leave mine in the safe at home when I go swimming in the ocean, but since I live in Colorado now, that doesn't happen very often.
    I do wonder about these newer style rings with the tiny glued-in diamonds that surround a larger pronged-in one.  Those tiny stones are going to fall out from time to time.  An old fashioned miracle head mount is the safest (think 1940's) but the tiffany style solitaire is the fashionably safest style to choose.
    I have one like this. The center stone is princess cut surrounded by a halo a smaller ones. However, mine are not glued in, they are each set in prongs. And I don't consider this a new style since both my grandmother and great-grandmother had this style ring. But they are very popular now and I'm sure a lot of them have the stone glued in rather than an actual tension setting.

• Options
    I'm not so concerned about the robbery itself than losing my real ring. I'm pretty sentimental, and losing the 2 rings DH proposed with and got married with would hurt more than the actual value. My rings are insured, but I'd rather have the original than a replacement, even if they were identical. My fake ring is also a lot less likely to attract notice, as it's just a silver band with some small stones. My e-ring has a bigger centre diamond in a higher setting and looks much more appealing to potential thieves. Yes, I'm cautious at home and when I travel, but something still could happen, however cautious you are. Like I said, it all depends on where I'm travelling to.

• Options
    KaurisKauris member
    edited May 2014
    FI is from Spain and he has said before that he would prefer I not take my E-ring when we go over there next year. He says that it is super easy to be robbed and very, very common. Usually there will be a ring of 3-4 people working together to steal from you.
  • Options
    ScoutF said:
    Here's a link to the site of the brand I use. I can't recommend this enough! They do have several options to choose from depending on your metal and stone.

What Jewelry Cleaner to Use
    imageimageLiquid
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Liquid
    Silver
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Liquid
    Delicate
    Jewelry
    Cleaner
    Diamond
    Dazzle
    Stik
    Quick CleanserJewelry
    Wipes
    Gold
    Cloth
    Silver
    Cloth
    LaSonic
    jewelry typeGold (14K, 18K, 24K)   
    Gold Plated   
    Gold Filled    
    Platinum   
    Sterling Silver      
    Sterling Silver w/Semiprecious Stones    
    Sterling Silver Antiqued    
    Silver Plate    
    Diamonds    
    Precious Stones     
    Delicate Stones       
    Pearls        
    Coral      
    Opals      
    Emeralds      
    Costume Jewelry      
    Semiprecious     
     Gemstone Type:
    Delicate: Amber, Coral, Ivory, Jadeite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Onyx, Opal and Pearl
    Precious: Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby
    Semiprecious: Amethyst, Aqua Marine, Citrine, Garnet, Peridot, Tanzanite, Topaz, Tourmaline, Tsavorite
    I love, love, love this brand! I also keep the Dazzle Stick in my purse in case I get schmutz on my ring during the day. I don't soak my ring every night (I would seriously forget it in the solution, I'm terrible like that), but I do hit it with the Dazzle Stick every couple of days.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I have the Connoisseur's and the Dazzle Stik.  My friend who works for a jeweler swears the best though is to soak the ring in some gentle dish soap and water, then in some water with all-purpose ammonia cleaner.  Don't wipe it dry, let it air dry.
    CMGragain said:
    My ring is kind of like that, but the tiny pave diamonds are pronged in, not glued.  So far my e-ring hasn't lost a stone (1.5 years), but a similar birthstone ring has lost a few little stones over the years.  I have the protection on it from the jeweler so they just replace it.  But I knew I wanted a better quality e-ring because it's a PITA to keep going back to the jeweler to replace the little stones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    AzAnnieAzAnnie member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    Mine is diamond and platinum and belonged to my FI's grandmother. From what I understand she never took it off. The ring is over 70 years old and still looks brand new ( we had it inspected and the jeweler was surprised that it was in such good shape) so I am not really concerned about durability. It is insured and I only take it off to sleep because my hands swell at night.
  • Options
    My engagement ring (and FI's because they're identical) is a sterling sliver cladddagh I bought a ren fair 8 years ago. There isn't much concern about loosing them or someone wanting to steal them. I usually take mine off while I shower, sometimes when I sleep (I usually can't wear any jewelry to sleep in), and at work before I tattoo someone. I can put my gloves on over my ring but for some reason that always feels weird to me, so I'll usually take it off. Oh and at the gym and swimming. Too afraid it'll fall off.
  • Options
    Mine is a sapphire with diamonds and white gold. The only time I take mine off is when I'm digging in the garden, putting on lotion or making meatloaf.
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have had an opal engagement ring for 15 years, and I wear it everywhere. It's gone camping, hiking, fishing, swimming in the ocean, and I've worn it in Honduras, Belize, Mexico, France, Canada, and 35 states. My husband bought it for me to wear, not to sit in a box at home. It's a thing, and a thing can be replaced if necessary.
  • Options
    On another note, DH picked up my ring today from the jewellers from getting fixed and they dipped it for me (wasn't on the original work order).  It's so shiny and sparkly again!!  :D  I'm happy to have it back

• Options
    CamiSeleneCamiSelene member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    I wear mine most of the time but take it off in the shower, when cooking/baking, doing dishes, exercising (but wear it hiking/camping and such), and when swimming. Oh, and if I'm doing something messy with my kinders, I'll put it on a chain around my neck. FI hate jewellry and probably won't wear his wedding band at all.

Edited because I hit enter before I finished typing... whoops!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ddhb2007 said:
    I have had an opal engagement ring for 15 years, and I wear it everywhere. It's gone camping, hiking, fishing, swimming in the ocean, and I've worn it in Honduras, Belize, Mexico, France, Canada, and 35 states. My husband bought it for me to wear, not to sit in a box at home. It's a thing, and a thing can be replaced if necessary.
    I wear my rings in Canada every day!

DH proposed in France. He carried the ring around through London and Paris before proposing. He was glad when it was finally on my finger so he didn't have to worry about pickpockets. I was super stressed though because it hadn't been sized and was loose. BIL, who lives in France, kept talking about pickpockets and train car muggings and really made me worried about wearing it. When we travel outside of Canada/US I plan to only wear my wedding band. 

I take my rings off when doing messy stuff. I also have to take them off at work because the prongs can rip my gloves and I don't want to risk virus exposure (I work in a research lab).

Anniversary
  • Options
    I wear mine daily except for showering (caught in my hair), putting on lotion (I don't like the feeling of lotion under the rings), gardening, cleaning with caustic chemicals, or working with food like bread dough or raw meat.

I don't camp, so no worries about taking it off for that. I do run with it on every day.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I work in a hardware store - crushed two fingers, broken six - then do martial arts and roller derby - no jewelry allowed at all, bruised hands, dislocated knuckles, broken hand - then help DF on cars - icky, smashed my fingers, cuts. My hands are so beat up.

No e ring here! Plus, best part is that money is going to get all the trim and floors in our new to us house back to the gorgeous wood they are under 12 layers of paint. We'll do the sealing, but there's a lot of lead paint and I'm looking forward to starting a family, so we won't risk the lead and it's getting gone.

Heck, I love my wedding band. Titanium with carbon fiber inlay and purple enamel in the engraving. But, i will not wear it often either. Jeweler offers free yearly re-enamel and polishing, so it's not the scuffs. It's the challenge to remove the ring quickly when I hurt my hand again. Which applies to any ring, any ER can remove titanium rings if they can remove grade 8 nuts/washers/bolts or 10.8 metric.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards