Not Engaged Yet
Options

Disney Vs. Universal Studios

Okay ladies, I had mentioned a few weeks ago that I would really love to go to Universal or Disney with my daughter.  Well, we're actually considering doing it this year!  We take a vacation every year and this year we decided to not go to Mexico like usual since we're getting married next year.  So my FI suggested we go to Universal Studios and to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (OMG squeeeeal!) 

However, I mentioned that I am a total Disney junkie and a part of me feels like I'll be disappointed if I don't do Disney instead.  I price checked both areas, staying at a resort at the theme park for Universal and one resort on Disney, both come with theme park passes for the day, and Disney includes a quick meal plan, Universal includes two free breakfasts.  They're quite comparable.....

So, what say you.... Disney or Universal?

Re: Disney Vs. Universal Studios

• Options
    That's so hard! Harry Potter vs. the new beauty and the beast/ little mermaid/ snow white theme parks. Ahhh! I can't choose. Could you pick one resort and mostly stay there, but spend half a day or a day at the other theme park? 
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Hm... If you're allowed to do that maybe it's a possibility.  I wonder if they shuttle you from Universal to Disney.  I just want to see the Magic Kingdom more than anything!!! 
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Hmm... just looked at that.. $99.00 a ticket for one day :-/ I don't think we could do that.. BOO! 
  • Options
    BOO! If you really want to do Magic Kingdom... then does that answer your question? 
  • Options
    I haven't been to Universal, so I'm no help there, but I do love Disney. Which do you think your daughter would enjoy more? I think you said she's 6 (but I might be totally off); if she's really into Disney and not so much into Harry Potter or a lot of the characters and stories that Universal has then she might be bored there. Whereas NO ONE can be bored at Disney (or at least they shouldn't be lol)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    That's the thing, my FI has been to Disney and he said that of course my daughter and I would love it, but he wouldn't so much. My daughter would 100% prefer Disney...She is much like me and loves everything Disney. Not just the princesses even, she LOVES Toy Story.
  • Options
    I just got home from a trip to Florida and it was the first time I did Magic Kingdom and Universal. I would definitely say that for your daughter's age range, Disney is probably the way to go. Universal seemed to have more of the more "mature" rides, while Disney had a bit more of a selection for everyone. 
  • Options
    With your daughter being 6, I would say go to Disney. She wouldn't be able to do a lot of what's at Universal. If she's a Harry Potter nut it would be the way to go, but she wouldn't be able to ride the majority of the rides.

How long are you planning on staying? Could you do one day at both?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    edited July 2014
    I think I will do more research about doing both, I think that's a great idea, maybe my initial research of 100 a person per day was inaccurate.. or maybe I can mix and match
  • Options
    I LOVE Harry Potter and I would go to universal solely for the Harry Potter stuff. However, outside of that, my experiences with Universal have been meh. There's so much more to do and it's so much more of an experience to be at the Disney parks. I get bored with Universal in about 3/4th of a day.

• Options
    I've never been to either. Sad face. I'm a HP nut so I would go there personally if I had the chance. I always wanted to go to Disney but never got to.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    I went to disney world as a young kid. I LOVED it. I was a really big fan of the MGM studios. They had little mermaid and beauty and the beast plays. And my dad loved epcot. I mean, my dad loved epcot as much as an adult who isn't social and doesn't like wandering around in the heat at a theme park can. ha. I haven't been to universal. I guess the questions here are: 1. is this trip more for your daughter or more for your fiance? and 2. maybe there are less expensive hotel options around the area that would make it more affordable to go to both? (my parents recently planned a trip there that got canceled due to flights/ storms, but I think I remember them talking about booking a hotel not related to the theme parks as they were less expensive)
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Well, the trip is definitely about our daughter overall, but still about all of us.... I am equally interested in Harry Potter as I am Disney, but if we could do that in a day or even two days, and then a day at the Magic Kingdom I feel like that's a fair trade. I'm glad I asked because I was going to pull the trigger and book today..but it seems like doing more research is going to be beneficial!! 
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    If you're going to try to do both I would do more time at Disney than Universal. There's definitely way more to do at Disney. When my family did both we did Universal in a day (before there was HP but honestly it's the only thing I'd be interested in going for now) and did 3 at Disney.

ETA: When I went in high school we also did more days at Disney than Universal.

• Options
    I love how Disney is setup in that - we fly in and do not need to rent a car at all.  The Disney shuttle (Magical Express) picks us up at the airport and takes us to our Disney Resort - Magical Express will pick up and take your checked luggage too so I don't need to wait for it, it'll appear in your room usually 4-6 hours after you have checked in (I've had my bags beat me to my room before though).  After you're on Disney property between their buses, riverboats and monorail, you don't really need a car - unless you have super early/late reservations.

I've only been to Disney twice, but have done lots of research.  If you have any questions, let me know :o)

Anniversary
  • Options
    I go to Disney every year, and last year we decided to throw Universal in too. It was $80 for a taxi ($40 each way) from Art of Animation to Universal. We paid out of pocket to get into Universal and we paid the extra for the "front of the line passes". My cousin had her son, who is six. In Islands of Adventure, he only liked one small area that was about 6 rides. He couldn't go on anything else really.. so they paid over $100 to only go on a few rides. He rode more at Universal Studios but by the afternoon he was begging to go back to Disney.

BF and I are going next March (next year's rates come out July 30th so only a few more days til I can book!!!!!!) He is going to love Universal way more. I love Disney more. I'll do both because it's a great time, but I do love Disney more. If we had a child(ren) I think we would lean towards Disney but try to do a day or two at Universal.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
         I got engaged at Walt Disneyworld and we are getting married at Disneyland so I'm biased, but we love any theme park really. We are planning to go back to FL to do another big trip and hit Universal to see the Harry Potter, Simpsons and Marvel stuff. Fi and I love all of it!

When are you planning on going. By coincidence we went in early September and that is historically when crowds are lightest and Disney offers the best deals. We only waited in line for a few rides and the longest wait we had was 20 minutes for the most popular. Disney also offered free dining at that time so we got two meals and a snack per day for free! 

With the free dining we got 7 days of park tickets, 7 nights of hotel at the Disney Port Orleans resort (you can choose a Disney economy hotel and go even cheaper, we really only slept and showered in the room), round trip airfare from CA ( We booked early and flew Southwest) and two meals and a snack a day for around $2500 for two of us. I realize that's a lot for some people but it seemed reasonable for us for what we got. 
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Thanks for all of the input ladies, I am realizing that I need to convince my fi that the majority of time at Disney is the way to go... which is totally fine for me.

I was thinking we'd go in December, that's when I finish my fall semester of school.. so  perhaps the week after Thanksgiving.

• Options
    @FairyJen1 - Yay another Disney Bride!!!  We're getting married at WDW.

Anniversary
  • Options
    BreMR said:
    Thanks for all of the input ladies, I am realizing that I need to convince my fi that the majority of time at Disney is the way to go... which is totally fine for me.

I was thinking we'd go in December, that's when I finish my fall semester of school.. so  perhaps the week after Thanksgiving.

@BreMR That is a great time to go! The castle will be all decorated for Christmas and I would be lying if I said I didn't cry the first time I saw it that way! December 8-13 is Pop Warner Week there just an FYI. Many people don't want to be there at that time so they avoid it. If your going to stay at a Value resort, (All Star Sport, Music, and Movies) Then I would avoid those days. If you are planning to stay elsewhere your good because the lines are pretty short too!
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    @BreMR - You can get Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets - a limited number are sold, there's a special firework display and a special parade.  They give out hot chocolate and cookies. 

As far as your daughter goes, if you're going to pay to have her hair/makeup done like a princess (I do not have kids) there are both Bibbity Bobbity Boutique and there is also Pirates League (which is a less expensive option) - costumes can also be brought/purchased.  If I ever have a kid - I'll totally be doing one of these for them (Pirate's League services boys and girls).

Now I'm super excited for you guys!!  The first 2 weeks of December are slower weeks, so you won't have the wait times.  As far as FastPass+ goes, if your daughter would want to see Elsa and Anna (Frozen) the wait times without a FastPass aroun 3+ hours and the FastPasses go fast. The new ride is of course the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - so that is also a longer line.

If you're doing Dec this year, dining reservations have already been open so the most popular restaurants might be harder to get into (Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey, Ohana).

Ok - I'll be quiet now ;o)

Anniversary
  • Options
    Also @BreMR if you can wait a week.. they have free dining beginning December 12th.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    You can choose to stay at either place and get a taxi to the other for the day.  They are only 15 minutes apart and you should really do both as honestly you can do Universal (2 parks) in one day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Oh my gosh!! You guys are awesome!!CHRISTMAS IS MY VERY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR so the fact that there is Christmas celebration excites me greatly!!! ahh!!  Thank you for your tips, I will keep you posted on the decision! I've been so busy back at work and my FI works nights, so we rarely see each other now.. so we haven't talked much about it since Sunday...
  • Options
    Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    http://www.disneydining.com/30-room-sale-walt-disney-world/

There ya go :o) does this help

EDIT:  Cannot be combined with free dining

Anniversary
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    OOOH THANK YOU!! I will look at this tonight! WOOHOO!! 
  • Options
    ...jealous...that's all I can say :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards