Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFIL complaining about hotel

2»

Re: FFIL complaining about hotel

• Options
    beethery said:
    Because he will not cut the shit clanking glasses around us now, and saying that even if we ignore him during the reception he won't stop.
    This drive me fucking crazy. Why? Why do people think it's cute or funny to do this? 

People tried at first at our wedding and we just ignored it. If they had kept doing it, we would have kept ignoring it. Eventually the people at that table would have strangled the person doing it for being an asshole, so whatever. Sorry if that's rude, but I'm not trying to set some precedent that I'm going to drop everything and make out with my husband because you smacked your fork against your cup. wtf.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    beethery said:
    Because he will not cut the shit clanking glasses around us now, and saying that even if we ignore him during the reception he won't stop.
    This drive me fucking crazy. Why? Why do people think it's cute or funny to do this? 

People tried at first at our wedding and we just ignored it. If they had kept doing it, we would have kept ignoring it. Eventually the people at that table would have strangled the person doing it for being an asshole, so whatever. Sorry if that's rude, but I'm not trying to set some precedent that I'm going to drop everything and make out with my husband because you smacked your fork against your cup. wtf.
    Because he can be a real douche when he wants to. He found out that the concept annoys me, so since we got engaged, he will not stop doing it whenever I'm around. I have told him repeatedly that we're going to ignore anyone who does it at the reception, as I'm not about to be directed to do anything by anybody at the wedding.

He still does it. FMIL just goes oh ignore him and chuckles, and he keeps clanking.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    This whole thing is so ridiculous.  FFIL needs to put his grown-up pants on and accept that you can't always get what you want in life.  I mean, are you really telling me that TV is trumping his kid's wedding? 

And for all those people who "cannot" sleep without TV, studies show you actually get less sleep when you sleep with your TV on and the quality that you do get is reduced.  It's actually recommended that you "unplug" about 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime to get the best sleep possible.  

But seriously, this whole thing is just...gross.  Read a freaking book.  Bring a portable stereo and listen to some music.  If you
    must have TV then bring a laptop to put a DVD on, or get one of those satellite wifi USBs that allow you to connect to the internet regardless of location and put on Netflix or a live news website.   

• Options
    @beethery - sounds like he has earned himself and his entire table plastic cups and silverware for the reception. Congratulations!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This whole thing is so ridiculous.  FFIL needs to put his grown-up pants on and accept that you can't always get what you want in life.  I mean, are you really telling me that TV is trumping his kid's wedding? 

And for all those people who "cannot" sleep without TV, studies show you actually get less sleep when you sleep with your TV on and the quality that you do get is reduced.  It's actually recommended that you "unplug" about 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime to get the best sleep possible.  

But seriously, this whole thing is just...gross.  Read a freaking book.  Bring a portable stereo and listen to some music.  If you
    must have TV then bring a laptop to put a DVD on, or get one of those satellite wifi USBs that allow you to connect to the internet regardless of location and put on Netflix or a live news website.   
    That's comparing sleeping with the tv on to sleeping with the tv off.  People who literally cannot sleep with the tv off get more sleep with it on because they are getting no sleep with it off.  Or they need it on to fall asleep but once they are asleep it can be turned off.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:

That's comparing sleeping with the tv on to sleeping with the tv off.  People who literally cannot sleep with the tv off get more sleep with it on because they are getting no sleep with it off.  Or they need it on to fall asleep but once they are asleep it can be turned off.  
    Either way, it's totally a conditioned response.  Obviously 100 years ago people functioned without a TV, or fans, or any other type of technology to sleep.  

• Options
    mysticl said:

Either way, it's totally a conditioned response.  Obviously 100 years ago people functioned without a TV, or fans, or any other type of technology to sleep.  
    Definitely a conditioned response, but I've seen my mom try to sleep without a TV on when the power went out. Not good. So I'd rather her get some sleep than get "better" sleep after weeks of none whatsoever, because I don't know how long it would take her to get unconditioned.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Our mountain venue has no cell service, internet, or tv. My parents have chosen to stay elsewhere an hour away, as it suits their needs better. Fine with us. All the rooms come with private balconies overlooking the lake and a fireplace. I'm excited to be away from technology even for a couple of days.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I used to think I couldn't sleep without the TV on. Then I moved into an apartment where it was not possible to have a TV in the bedroom. And now I can't sleep with it on. 
  • Options
    beethery said:
    jules3964 said:
    Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions! I was feeling guilty about the hotel being too "rustic" for him, but I clearly shouldn't. When I stay in a hotel, I definitely prefer to have TV too… but I can't imagine making it into an issue.

FI and I have decided to provide him with a suggested activity list (things to do in the area, borrow a portable dvd player & dvds from us, book recommendations, cards games, etc.) and then after that, FI will ignore any further discussion on the topic. 
    Please get him a coloring book. Please please.
    Yes. And an Etch-a-Sketch. 
    And a Slinky, some Matchbox cars, and some Fisher-Price stuff.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

I can assure you the issue of sex/tv is not a problem for me :)

Same here
  • Options
    beethery said:
    @beethery - sounds like he has earned himself and his entire table plastic cups and silverware for the reception. Congratulations!
    He has been threatened to be seated by himself at a red and yellow playskool picnic table laden with the finest elmo tableware and plastic utensils. Should this be the case, he will also be served the best tyson chicken nuggets I can find, with a side of ketchup, and grapes.

MF is testing me and thinks I won't follow through.
    I don't know you and I have no doubt you'll follow through.

My plan if anyone tries that clinking bullshit is to stand there clinking my glass along with them, looking around wondering what's going to happen. Then shrug and sit down.
    That is suuuuuuuch a good idea.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I never knew how annoying the clanking of glasses at wedding was until my own wedding. I just want to eat my salad!

I kissed my new husband a million times that day. I don't have to give everyone else a show.

• Options
    We start off with the TV on. Niether one of us goes to sleep without the TV.
    I can assure you the issue of sex/tv is not a problem for me :)
    Same here
    same here.

I put it on sleep mode and it's goes off 60 minutes later.     Strange but we both need to fall asleep, but are unable to sleep with it on all night.

We also have to put it on a sit-com or something like How It's made.   Most of the time it's Seinfeld or Everyone Loves Raymond or something similar.  No news, talk shows, movies, dramas or reality TV shows.   We are very specific on what puts us to sleep.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    beethery said:
    jules3964 said:
    Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions! I was feeling guilty about the hotel being too "rustic" for him, but I clearly shouldn't. When I stay in a hotel, I definitely prefer to have TV too… but I can't imagine making it into an issue.

FI and I have decided to provide him with a suggested activity list (things to do in the area, borrow a portable dvd player & dvds from us, book recommendations, cards games, etc.) and then after that, FI will ignore any further discussion on the topic. 
    Please get him a coloring book. Please please.
    http://www.sadanduseless.com/2014/07/coloring-book-for-grown-ups/

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    beethery said:
    beethery said:

Because he can be a real douche when he wants to. He found out that the concept annoys me, so since we got engaged, he will not stop doing it whenever I'm around. I have told him repeatedly that we're going to ignore anyone who does it at the reception, as I'm not about to be directed to do anything by anybody at the wedding.

He still does it. FMIL just goes oh ignore him and chuckles, and he keeps clanking.
    I'd replace all the glasses at the reception with plastic cups, then.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    For you all:

• Options
    TV in the bedroom decreases sex?

Tell that to my DH. We love having sexy times while watching tv, especially sports. There's something about rooting for our team that really gets our blood going.
    Anniversary
  • Options

This is the funniest dang topic ever, on this board!

The laptop thing would be ideal, but the hotel may not have wi-fi. Here in NJ most businesses have their wi-fi bundled with their cable TV, and if the hotel doesn't have TV, they may not have wi-fi either. That is just where I live, my only reference point.

If it were me, I would happily do without for the trip. If I were nutty I would bring my combo TV/DVD player.

Why can't he just listen to the radio? If he is the type who has to have the news, live, every second, a radio would do.

I fall asleep to the TV every night, but that is only a choice, I could sleep without it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards