Options

New Snowflakes

Re: New Snowflakes

• Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    amelisha said:
    I kinda think it's AWish regardless. Like, I have two friends who got married a few years ago who are both professional full-time musicians (film soundtrack composing/recording) and even they did not perform themselves at their wedding or play anything of themselves. They did give out CDs as favours where they sang a couple duets together, but they're professionals, with access to professional equipment and mixing and stuff, and they didn't make anyone sit through it in any event even though they're awesome.

I get paid to sing all the damn time and weddings are my most frequent gig and I still side-eye the crap out of it and would never ever want to do it at my own wedding. It's not a concert and it just seems, like...show-offy to me and not at all the point of the day. But if I'm being honest, I also think choreographed dances are the same thing. It's just anathema to me personally.

I think if she wanted to make the recording and give it to him privately, that would be lovely (I would love to receive a recording of FI performing a song!) but I think playing it at the wedding is just a completely AW thing to do.

I'm a hobbyist performer. . . should probably start getting into the wedding ceremony singing business as they are pretty well paid in our diocese. . . so a single event, like a song, wouldn't bother me.  I'd enjoy it *IF* the person can actually sing, lol. 

I think it's a sweet idea.  To me it's the same as a couple writing their own personal vows, and I find those waaay more uncomfortable and awkward to sit through.  I think handing out CDs as favors in which there are multiple tracks recorded by the couple is way more AW than one person singing a single song to their new spouse.

I don't like choreographed dances because usually no one in them can actyally dance ;-)

I think the difference for me is that you don't have to play the CD. You can not take it, or throw it in your car or in the trash or whatever. But if someone is up there performing or if it's being played as the first dance or whatever, then you're stuck as a captive audience and forced to sit through it, and that's what makes it so weird and awkward for me. Do that ish in private. 

I feel the same way about most personal vows too. It seems waaaaaaay too private to be doing in front of everyone. But then, I think maybe I feel that way about weddings in general, thus my 20-person guest list. I'm only willing to do the big declaration in front of my parents and very best friends and even that has been a stretch and I feel like I'm going to pass out thinking about it tbh. So I am obviously the wrong audience for it regardless...
    To me any of the spotlight stuff at a reception- cake cutting, dances, tosses- are all just as AW as a person singing a song, and guests can walk away at any time. They aren't actually a captive audience, like they are during the ceremony while people do personal vows. I'll be honest that in most wedding I've been to, I went to the bar or was buying BSing with people during a spotlight event. . .and I was Def MIA if there were tosses involved! I agree with you on the vows thing though. I have never sat through a set I didn't find awkward. I felt like a voyeur or something!
    My main issue with it is the "surprise" factor for her FI. I know H was really looking forward to our first dance, and if I changed it without his knowledge to something else FEATURING ME instead of allowing him to focus on just dancing with me and enjoying our time out there, I think that'd have been kinda shitty. He probably would have questioned who the recording was really for. etf damn boxes
  • Options

amelisha said:
    I kinda think it's AWish regardless. Like, I have two friends who got married a few years ago who are both professional full-time musicians (film soundtrack composing/recording) and even they did not perform themselves at their wedding or play anything of themselves. They did give out CDs as favours where they sang a couple duets together, but they're professionals, with access to professional equipment and mixing and stuff, and they didn't make anyone sit through it in any event even though they're awesome.

I get paid to sing all the damn time and weddings are my most frequent gig and I still side-eye the crap out of it and would never ever want to do it at my own wedding. It's not a concert and it just seems, like...show-offy to me and not at all the point of the day. But if I'm being honest, I also think choreographed dances are the same thing. It's just anathema to me personally.

I think if she wanted to make the recording and give it to him privately, that would be lovely (I would love to receive a recording of FI performing a song!) but I think playing it at the wedding is just a completely AW thing to do.

I'm a hobbyist performer. . . should probably start getting into the wedding ceremony singing business as they are pretty well paid in our diocese. . . so a single event, like a song, wouldn't bother me.  I'd enjoy it *IF* the person can actually sing, lol. 

I think it's a sweet idea.  To me it's the same as a couple writing their own personal vows, and I find those waaay more uncomfortable and awkward to sit through.  I think handing out CDs as favors in which there are multiple tracks recorded by the couple is way more AW than one person singing a single song to their new spouse.

I don't like choreographed dances because usually no one in them can actyally dance ;-)

I think the difference for me is that you don't have to play the CD. You can not take it, or throw it in your car or in the trash or whatever. But if someone is up there performing or if it's being played as the first dance or whatever, then you're stuck as a captive audience and forced to sit through it, and that's what makes it so weird and awkward for me. Do that ish in private. 

I feel the same way about most personal vows too. It seems waaaaaaay too private to be doing in front of everyone. But then, I think maybe I feel that way about weddings in general, thus my 20-person guest list. I'm only willing to do the big declaration in front of my parents and very best friends and even that has been a stretch and I feel like I'm going to pass out thinking about it tbh. So I am obviously the wrong audience for it regardless...
    To me any of the spotlight stuff at a reception- cake cutting, dances, tosses- are all just as AW as a person singing a song, and guests can walk away at any time. They aren't actually a captive audience, like they are during the ceremony while people do personal vows. I'll be honest that in most wedding I've been to, I went to the bar or was buying BSing with people during a spotlight event. . .and I was Def MIA if there were tosses involved! I agree with you on the vows thing though. I have never sat through a set I didn't find awkward. I felt like a voyeur or something!
    My main issue with it is the "surprise" factor for her FI. I know H was really looking forward to our first dance, and if I changed it without his knowledge to something else FEATURING ME instead of allowing him to focus on just dancing with me and enjoying our time out there, I think that'd have been kinda shitty. He probably would have questioned who the recording was really for. etf damn boxes
    Yeah, I mean, if it was really for your FI, why not play it for him later at night in the room when it's just the two of you, or play it for him in the moments after your first look or something if you have down time?  

• Options
    amelisha said:
    OMG the one who wants to record herself singing to be played at the wedding (and on the wrong board too...) Is this real life?
    I still think this one is a troll.
  • Options
    Anyone else from WP have a headache from banging your head against your desk?
    I need backup on Reception Ideas. Unfortunately, this snowflake is not new.
  • Options
    Bahaha!  I love that we're calling for backup.

• Options
    At this point I'm just posting pictures of crying and saying "no no no no" over and over.

• Options
    At this point I'm just posting pictures of crying and saying "no no no no" over and over.

There is not enough beer in my house for that shit show.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    She's calling the Head Bitchtress to her aid.

After all, I'm apparently I'm

and you are all my

PLS, OH PLS, head bitch, may I be one of "YOUR regs"?
    Absolutely.  Plenty of room on my VIP couches.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    levioosa said:
    She's calling the Head Bitchtress to her aid.

After all, I'm apparently I'm

and you are all my

PLS, OH PLS, head bitch, may I be one of "YOUR regs"?
    Absolutely.  Plenty of room on my VIP couches.
  • Options
    For fucks sake.  So much for getting to bed early tonight.  Thanks for the WP update ladies.  :P  By the way, where is this newsletter posted, that brings us so much joy and love every month??

• Options

For fucks sake.  So much for getting to bed early tonight.  Thanks for the WP update ladies.  :P  By the way, where is this newsletter posted, that brings us so much joy and love every month??

It's the newsletter they email to you if you sign up for it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

levioosa said:

Oh my god. I'm listening to "Work, Bitch" by Britney Spears, and that .gif is syncing perfectly. It made me laugh so hard when I scrolled by.

Haha I'm going to have to try that once I get to work!

• Options

I'm buying y'all a round of drinks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

Watch yourself! Apparently, joking about bitches is a warnable offence around these parts now.

• Options

Watch yourself! Apparently, joking about bitches is a warnable offence around these parts now.

Oh no, I wasn't calling you ladies bitches, I was just responding to being threatened/being sarcastic/another lame cop-out. ;)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

Oh no, I wasn't calling you ladies bitches, I was just responding to being threatened/being sarcastic/another lame cop-out. ;)
    Turns out, doesn't matter! JOKING ABOUT BITCHES IS NOT OKAY. Sarcasm is wayyyyyyy too difficult to detect.
  • Options

Turns out, doesn't matter! JOKING ABOUT BITCHES IS NOT OKAY. Sarcasm is wayyyyyyy too difficult to detect.

• Options
    Hahahahaha, Mean Girls GIF FTW!
  • Options
    I love the accusation that I am only blunt because it's online and anonymous. Bitch please, please, I'm just as blunt in real life. "Drunkenwitch, huh, I wonder what she's thinking " said no one ever.
    Oh, I just sit in a dark padded room all day, hiding from people and being as mean as possible to people with shitty ideas.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I love the accusation that I am only blunt because it's online and anonymous. Bitch please, please, I'm just as blunt in real life. "Drunkenwitch, huh, I wonder what she's thinking " said no one ever.
    This is one of my faves.  Oh, and just because we are online we are hiding behind our computer screens.

Ok, so am I in the witness fucking protection program whenever I need to send an email, buy shit on Amazon, pay my bills online?  I mean, that's a lot of hiding.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Grade A+ signature gifs, PrettyGirlLost and ashley8918.

I'm actually not blunt in real life save for my sarcastic and irreverent sense of humor, so I have a hard time participating in these kerfuffles because a voice in my head is like "be nice, be nice." But reading you ladies has helped my ovaries drop in some real-life situations, like when I had to tell my dad that he was being tacky by inviting people to the engagement party when they weren't invited to the wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards