Chit Chat
Options

Advice from experience

Re: Advice from experience

• Options

I have poked myself in the eye with string cheese on two different occasions. But I didn't learn a damn thing.

hahahaha omg that's like me putting stuff on hot cooktops...never seem to learn!

• Options

sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

KatWAG said:
    I don't! My in-state, public bachelor's and master's degrees are long since paid off. I now manage a graduate program at an ivy league and I see the debt these folks are absolutely drowning in.

I make more money than they will when they graduate.
    I'm an in-state university grad, too, but I think where I disagree with the advice above is in its unilateral certainty. State schools are right for a lot of people; Ivies are right for a lot of people; tiny liberal arts schools are right for a lot of people; community college is right for a lot of people. 

And frankly, I hate the idea that college is meant to be job training. I realize that we live in a world that pushes that notion, but a liberal arts education was never meant to train you to do X thing. It's meant to teach you to think critically, make connections, and be a thoughtful, informed citizen. Schools of all stripes can offer this kind of education.

As usual, you are correct :)

But I do think more people need to think more critically about how much debt they are going into. It isn't sensible to be 22 and thousands and thousands in debt for a fine arts degree. I meet so many people who can't afford homes or vacations or basic necessities because they wanted to go to a college they couldn't afford. As @magicink says above, free community college! Awesome! That is a smart financial decision to make.

Different schools suit different people, no doubt. That is why there are thousands of colleges in the US. But being debt free is so much fun.
    Totally agree with the bolded.

It makes me so sad though, to think that fine arts degrees should be limited to a certain privileged class (not that there aren't affordable schools that offer these degrees, but many of the really good programs are from small, pricey schools). I don't have a solution; I just hate it.

(I think I am in a box? For a second we were both OUT of the box. I don't know. I'm html-challenged).

Just to add here: I think the Program of Liberal Studies (or "Great Books") major at Notre Dame and a few other places should be an option everywhere, especially community colleges. There's no reason they can't. They're the great books - literature, philosophy, economics, etc. They're available wherever. Double that major with accounting or whatever, or minor in it, but read and discuss these things.* I didn't major in it, but I think everyone should have that option.

*You also do not have to attend college to accomplish this, but it facilitates good reading and thinking and can guide you towards the truly society- and history-altering works.

Wait, did you go to ND too? Either way, totally agree. Sure it could be "useless"--people like to joke about PLS meaning Probably Law School--but the most successful person I've ever met was a single major in PLS (not to mention the other success stories I know of). Liberal arts degrees prepare you for so much, even if you don't go on to professional school. It's your problem if you don't make it work for you.
  • Options
    chibiyui said:

Ou. I have an education related one:

Even if you don't end up in a field that's in anything related to your education, don't forget the reason why you initially chose that subject.

I work in payroll administration for a survey company. I've been in payroll administration for 8 years.

I went to college for Theatre Acting, followed by Arts Management, so obviously my career is pretty far from my education.

The reason being is pretty simple, I didn't have the acting chops or the drive to be able to succeed in the business. And once I graduated from the management course there just wasn't any jobs in the field that would allow me to afford my mortgage. So I got a job that paid the bills and 8 years later here I am.

For a long time I pushed that artistic side of me down and out of sight. I had failed. I didn't want to be reminded of it so i pretended I was no longer interested in it. 

But it was a huge part of who I was, and thats what made me audition for school to begin with. And I was good enough to get in. So to ignore that side of me for so many years lead to pretty major identity crisis. But once I allowed myself to find other artistic outlets while still staying in my job that paid the bills, I finally refound myself;

Thank you.

I'm in an art funk right now, and that comment was just the right amount of pep-talk and fire under my ass.
    Thanks from me too. Between this and my therapist telling me I needed to get back at it, I'm getting my ass off TK for a bit to write.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Don't put shit in writing that you would be embarrassed for your mother to see...especially on the internet. It never goes away, never.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Wear the damn helmet. 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Never change your tampon when you're drunk. 

Don't leave any type of glass bottles filled with liquid inside your car during the winter. The liquid will freeze and they will burst. 

Never ever leave a hair or nail salon if you are unhappy with the service they provided you. Speak up! 

ETA: Don't pee BEFORE sex. That can actually increase your risk of getting a UTI. 
  • Options
    dont let little things bother you

remember the little things

dont drink to much because you might end up crawling into a garbage can. 

dont leave personal items in your car or let someone you dont trust put air in your tires

dont try fixing wiper in middle of snow storm

• Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

KatWAG said:
    I don't! My in-state, public bachelor's and master's degrees are long since paid off. I now manage a graduate program at an ivy league and I see the debt these folks are absolutely drowning in.

I'm an in-state university grad, too, but I think where I disagree with the advice above is in its unilateral certainty. State schools are right for a lot of people; Ivies are right for a lot of people; tiny liberal arts schools are right for a lot of people; community college is right for a lot of people. 

And frankly, I hate the idea that college is meant to be job training. I realize that we live in a world that pushes that notion, but a liberal arts education was never meant to train you to do X thing. It's meant to teach you to think critically, make connections, and be a thoughtful, informed citizen. Schools of all stripes can offer this kind of education.

But I do think more people need to think more critically about how much debt they are going into. It isn't sensible to be 22 and thousands and thousands in debt for a fine arts degree. I meet so many people who can't afford homes or vacations or basic necessities because they wanted to go to a college they couldn't afford. As @magicink says above, free community college! Awesome! That is a smart financial decision to make.

Different schools suit different people, no doubt. That is why there are thousands of colleges in the US. But being debt free is so much fun.

It makes me so sad though, to think that fine arts degrees should be limited to a certain privileged class (not that there aren't affordable schools that offer these degrees, but many of the really good programs are from small, pricey schools). I don't have a solution; I just hate it.

(I think I am in a box? For a second we were both OUT of the box. I don't know. I'm html-challenged).

Just to add here: I think the Program of Liberal Studies (or "Great Books") major at Notre Dame and a few other places should be an option everywhere, especially community colleges. There's no reason they can't. They're the great books - literature, philosophy, economics, etc. They're available wherever. Double that major with accounting or whatever, or minor in it, but read and discuss these things.* I didn't major in it, but I think everyone should have that option.

*You also do not have to attend college to accomplish this, but it facilitates good reading and thinking and can guide you towards the truly society- and history-altering works.

I would have LOVED that degree. I know St. John's University in Santa Fe exclusively offers a Great Books degree, and it's a beautiful thing.

I firmly believe that no learning is useless and no art is a waste of time. These are the things that make us human. If all anyone ever did was make money and contribute to the economy we'd all get depressed and kill ourselves. It's the non-lucrative stuff that makes us interesting and worthwhile. If you're lucky, you can make a living doing those kinds of things, but for the rest of us, I think it's crucial to find some balance between what you do for work and the more...soul-enriching (for lack of a better term) endeavors that are out there. For me, earning an English/Spanish degree was one of those things (and I definitely realize that in the world we live in, it was a privilege to be able to do so).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Unless you got a degree in VCR repair, I'm pretty sure it's not useless. You just may not chose to use the specific knowledge you learned in your degree program. (not offense to anyone currently working in the VCR repair industry)

I do think that for a majority of people, that getting a degree from a less expensive option is the best choice. Not everyone can be at the top of their field, and it's a lot easier to pay off $40K than $120K over the course of a lifetime. You have to keep paying that shit off til you die.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Well thank you to all the ladies who have just made me realize how effective my BA in English can be in a variety of professional settings. Two of my closest friends have advanced degrees, one is a DVM and the other has an MPH and I'm just the one with the English degree who everyone asks "What are you going to do with that, teach?". No, I do not wish to become a teacher...sigh.

Some important life lessons,

- Never ride the subway alone so intoxicated that you are vomiting on the floor. I've witnessed young women like this on the train, definitely not safe ladies.

-If you go somewhere to eat and the menu has no prices do not be afraid to ask how much things are, do not assume that since all the restaurant storefronts look the same they will have similar pricing. I learned this the hard way on Ocean Drive in South Beach.

-When changing a  infant/toddler's shitty pamper, be sure to remove the pamper quickly and efficiently as to not allow it to fall off the bed and land on your boot, you will have shit all over your boot and floor. Learned that one this morning.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Oh, yeah, I'll just throw in my hat for the liberal arts.I have BAs in English and History from a fantastic small state school that offered me a full ride, and then later went off to a fancy private grad school (brag warning: got a better job than many of my Ivy League peers, and don't have 6 figure loans).

My undergrad taught me to write. I've gotten every single job I've had because I can write well. I ended up as a finance and compensation consultant for years because I could write effective proposals and reports. Many people cannot write well; clever managers recognize effective writing is a huge asset to have on their team. 

I think it's more the case that liberal arts majors usually just aren't given the tools they need to market the valuable skills they pick up - there's room in the business world for English majors, they just are often directed toward teaching/academia. Liberal arts majors need to think outside the box when looking to apply their degrees.

ALL OF THIS!

In general, I think people have a hard time knowing how to frame their skills in a way that proves they'll be able to apply them in a job. There's a disconnect between the framework of schooling vs. the framework of the work world. I remember being a wee liberal arts scholar on the brink of graduation and asking, "Um. What are the jobs that exist, please? What do people even do?" I had no idea what was even available out there, which seems both ridiculous and understandable, looking back.
  • Options

Oh, yeah, I'll just throw in my hat for the liberal arts.I have BAs in English and History from a fantastic small state school that offered me a full ride, and then later went off to a fancy private grad school (brag warning: got a better job than many of my Ivy League peers, and don't have 6 figure loans).

My undergrad taught me to write. I've gotten every single job I've had because I can write well. I ended up as a finance and compensation consultant for years because I could write effective proposals and reports. Many people cannot write well; clever managers recognize effective writing is a huge asset to have on their team. 

I think it's more the case that liberal arts majors usually just aren't given the tools they need to market the valuable skills they pick up - there's room in the business world for English majors, they just are often directed toward teaching/academia. Liberal arts majors need to think outside the box when looking to apply their degrees.

ALL OF THIS!

In general, I think people have a hard time knowing how to frame their skills in a way that proves they'll be able to apply them in a job. There's a disconnect between the framework of schooling vs. the framework of the work world. I remember being a wee liberal arts scholar on the brink of graduation and asking, "Um. What are the jobs that exist, please? What do people even do?" I had no idea what was even available out there, which seems both ridiculous and understandable, looking back.
    From second hand experience I agree! FI's brother has a BA in English and he is now a very successful general manager at a national plumbing supply chain. Doesn't directly relate to his major but his degree is not useless, he wouldn't be where he is without one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have another one - when you put mousse in your hand and rub your hands together, remember to put it on your hair, don't try to wash your face with it.  I did that this morning.
  • Options

ALL OF THIS!

Yup to the bolded. I had many of those moments. People would say, "Oh, so you're going to teach English?" and I'd have this horrible feeling because I knew I didn't want to teach.

My senior year, I had a fantastic professor who forced us all to practice writing fake reports on non-Lit related stuff. She also made us all go to the career fairs. I wonder if many profs feel like they are betraying their subject if they aren't teaching pure English/Lit; but dude, you have to save your degree's reputation and utility! 

• Options

sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

KatWAG said:

I would have LOVED that degree. I know St. John's University in Santa Fe exclusively offers a Great Books degree, and it's a beautiful thing.

I firmly believe that no learning is useless and no art is a waste of time. These are the things that make us human. If all anyone ever did was make money and contribute to the economy we'd all get depressed and kill ourselves. It's the non-lucrative stuff that makes us interesting and worthwhile. If you're lucky, you can make a living doing those kinds of things, but for the rest of us, I think it's crucial to find some balance between what you do for work and the more...soul-enriching (for lack of a better term) endeavors that are out there. For me, earning an English/Spanish degree was one of those things (and I definitely realize that in the world we live in, it was a privilege to be able to do so).

Recently I had to pull out one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies, in order to illustrate how people actually take this to the other extreme.

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

I had to point out the bolded portion because people were diminishing the dignity of the work and career choices made by such non-academic types (and even plumbers and electricians and such). Nope, noble and definitely necessary to sustain life. Not everyone gets to major and work in theology like me, nor should they. (I also added pre-med as a secondary major, because I still like science and because learning.) But the main point that he's making is also easily forgettable, hence the movie.

and @kao2015 - double Domer.

• Options

This.

Also, my degree in Anthropology was actually seen as valuable once I had my MBA and was doing consumer marketing. It meant that I could observe people without judging them. The program also taught me how to write and structure thoughts. Before grad school, I fared better than business majors in a few jobs because I could think about things differently.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I have a useless History degree. But I know there are women on here that have worthwhile History degrees. But my degree is useless because I've rendered it completely useless. I no longer care to work in the field full time, I'd much rather just dabble in History and kick ass at bar trivia. 

And community college FTW. Took me four years on a two year. 

And then there's FI who has a liberal arts degree and makes a damn fine living. Education is what you make it. And how it applies to your life and future is how you apply it. 

My life experience to share:
    Never wear tight underwear. You will never win a single battle in tight underwear. Daily life is best fought in comfortable well fitting underwear or none at all.
    I have a History degree as well and I also don't use it :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hicoco said:

I have a useless History degree. But I know there are women on here that have worthwhile History degrees. But my degree is useless because I've rendered it completely useless. I no longer care to work in the field full time, I'd much rather just dabble in History and kick ass at bar trivia. 

And community college FTW. Took me four years on a two year. 

And then there's FI who has a liberal arts degree and makes a damn fine living. Education is what you make it. And how it applies to your life and future is how you apply it. 

My life experience to share:
    Never wear tight underwear. You will never win a single battle in tight underwear. Daily life is best fought in comfortable well fitting underwear or none at all.
    I have a History degree as well and I also don't use it :/

• Options

sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

KatWAG said:

Recently I had to pull out one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies, in order to illustrate how people actually take this to the other extreme.

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

I had to point out the bolded portion because people were diminishing the dignity of the work and career choices made by such non-academic types (and even plumbers and electricians and such). Nope, noble and definitely necessary to sustain life. Not everyone gets to major and work in theology like me, nor should they. (I also added pre-med as a secondary major, because I still like science and because learning.) But the main point that he's making is also easily forgettable, hence the movie.

and @kao2015 - double Domer.

Re: the bold, yes. We could all stand to be a little more understanding and respectful of people who focus on whatever end of the "practical" vs. "artistic" spectrum. 

One of my most favorite fables is The Grasshopper and the Ant. The first time I heard it, the focus was almost entirely on the poor beleaguered Ant, who did all that preparation work and then had to deal with the lazy Grasshopper begging for help when winter came.

Then I read the exact same fable in French class. The "moral of the story" portion at the end was completely different--in this version, the author insisted that the Grasshopper had paid his debt. After all, hadn't the Ant enjoyed his beautiful music during the summer? Why should his contribution be considered less important just because it was less practical?

This shit blew my mind. Even as a fairly arts-minded person, I had pretty much taken the former (much more American, honestly) version of the fable to heart. But the French class reading made me really consider what the world would be like if people were equally as appreciative of the arts/soft sciences as they are of the kinds of work that put food on the table and keeps infrastructure together. We can't have art without infrastructure, but it's also true that the infrastructure is meaningless if we don't also nurture our artistic side. At the end of the day, we (the broader we, Humanity) need both--so it does no good to disparage either side.
  • Options
    VulgarGirlVulgarGirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    @KatieinBkln I remember being told by my mother over and over again "The world needs balance. We need all kinds of people. We need accounts and we need artists. Neither are better or more important and both are needed".

She's pretty smart. She also told me "If you start drinking hard liquor don't switch to beer, you'll have a shitty hang over in the morning", she's got a lot a of knowledge about different things.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

@KatieinBkln I remember being told by my mother over and over again "The world needs balance. We need all kinds of people. We need accounts and we need artists. Neither are better or more important and both are needed".

She's pretty smart. She also told me "If you start drinking hard liquor don't switch to beer, you'll have a shitty hang over in the morning", she's got a lot a of knowledge about different things.
    Your mom seems like a wise lady.

Although I have always found it's the quality and quantity of the alcohol, not the order, that affected me most. ;)
  • Options
    I absolutely consider art to be essential.  Despite my science background, I'm a more artsy fartsy person by nature. I hate to see people tout the whole 3 R's approach in the public school setting. Music and art and stuff like that is important too, yo.

I also do appreciate my "useless" degree in animal science.  There were some classes I took that were life changing, and a lot of those classes actually had nothing to do with my major- women's studies and crop & soil science being two examples. The experience really shaped the way I think. 

So in a  sense, yes I'm glad I have that degree. Know what I'm even more glad for? That my parents paid for it.  I would be shit up a crick otherwise. 

I think the biggest problem is that the costs of education are skyrocketing.  Like someone said, it used to be totally possible to work part time and not take out loans.  Not anymore.  Even the lowly public community college I'm attending right now I think is running around $180 per credit. So I'd have to work for about 338 hours just to pay for one semester,15 credits of tuition. That would take 10 weeks of working 35 hr/week. No food, no rent factored in, and yanno, time to study would be nice too. It's exponentially higher at a state school and I don't even want to think about private. 

So yeah, i'm all about education and personal betterment. At such a high cost though, just to be able to say I have critical thinking skills and have an education that emphasized taking a variety of classes in liberal arts to make me an open minded person? I don't know.  Signing up for being in debt for a significant portion of your life is a pretty high price to pay for that. Almost worth getting citizenship in another damn country first. 
  • Options

My mom always says, "Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, in the clear."
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards