A blog about running and life with pituitary tumors
  • Options
    @bethsmiles, you totally made my day! <3 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Love & Splits
    A blog about running and life with pituitary tumors
  • Options
    cu97tiger said:

@minskat30 - Last year DH and I sat on our porch with wine/beer and also had a bottle of Jack Daniels. When kids would walk up, I'd yell 'Candy for the kids, shots for the adults!' Usually they'd look at me like I was crazy, and then realize what I said and come up. We had little plastic shot glasses and we were a giant hit! We're definitely doing that again this year.
    This is awesome.  I wish I lived closer to you...I totally would have trick or treated in your neighborhood for the shots.  ;)  When I lived in Chicago (in a condo) for years all of the condo owners in my building would hang out downstairs together handing out candy...we also conveniently had a drink station set back in the entry way to the condos for the adults.  I've had many a Halloween stumbling back upstairs after that fun.  :)
  • Options
    @bethsmiles, don't worry I'm sure you'll find a beautiful dress! And being short can be a good thing. They chopped off so much extra fabric at the hem of my dress that I had enough to wrap my bouquet and gave some to my grandmother who made my garter with it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @bethsmiles so not true! Shorty here and I've worn a ton of gowns.  You just have to find what is right for you.  
  • Options
    @bethsmiles I'm 4'10", and I never had an issue with any dress looking bad on me because I was short. Even the ballroom gowns looked good. @peaseblossom55 is another shorty, and she had a gorgeous ballroom Cinderella-esque gown that looked fantastic on her. In fact, from the pictures, I thought she was very tall, and I was really surprised when she told me later that she was short like us. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @eilis1228 Thank you!!! I loved my dress so so much.  Ahhh 2 days I'm so excited for you!

@bethsmiles.  I never had issues with finding dresses being so short ( 4'10")  I preferred dresses with more natural waists though.  I had plenty of options.  I just paid a bit more for my dress to have them measure me hem to hollow so it would be less of a pain to alter.  

Anniversary

• Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    @jenjen047 thanks for asking! He gave me a walking cast for support, told me to keep doing what I am doing now (rest, ice, elevation, painkillers), gave me a few therapy exercises to try and gave me a physical therapy recommendation, and told me that if there was absolutely no improvement by our follow up in 2 weeks then we would consider more tests. The cast is much better so far for support, but we will see how the rest of it goes. 

And I will be in the office tomorrow, and I hope that coworkers see me in my cast and on crutches (all of us stay in our offices most of the day so....). FI is also stressed out about having to carpool because he has a very busy next few weeks and doesn't want to strand me at work for 15 hours. Because of that, I am going to push for getting temporary HR approval to work from home, and if I don't get it they are getting billed for my taxi rides home since I can't drive. 

ETA: Also I am so glad that you found a dress! And I can't wait for you to AW your e-pics!

• Options
    @bethsmiles - I worried about the dress issue too, but it really wasn't a problem!  Plus, I was able to order my dress in a Petite so it fit even BETTER when I got my real dress in!!  Have fun trying them on!
  • Options
    @aurorarose41 welcome to Das Boot club! 
  • Options

Replying since I didn't get to yesterday!

@minskat30 Re: Halloween pet peeves. Lol, I had a specific pillow case for trick or treat I used from when I was a toddler until my senior year of high school... but at least in my older years I still dressed up and trick-or-treated with younger kids. Now that I've handed out candy a couple times, my pet peeve is also infants "trick-or-treating" I mean, clearly the candy is for mom. I don't mind the teens as long as they aren't being disruptive.

@labro I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates trunk or treats. It's so sad that kids don't seem to get to actually trick or treat anymore. It was one of my favorite things ever. Plus these kids don't get to reap the rewards of walking down the looooong driveway to get to the house that gives out full-size candy bars and soda.

@AuroraRose41 I haven't seen that and I would probably flip out, but UGH! Walk! Get some exercise! The only time it is acceptable to drive kids around for trick-or-treat is if they are disabled or ill.

@bethsmiles Short girls unite!

• Options
    @speakeasy14 when will my membership packet come in the mail? And what benefits are included? :p

@wink0erin It happened all. the. time. at my parents house growing up. We lived in a decent neighborhood a few minutes from some not so decent ones, so parents would drive their kids to ours by the van loads. Which is fine, but then they would all go speeding through the streets. There were many times where a van would pull up in front of our house with the flashers on, 10 people would get out of it (normally 1-2 parents and the rest children), ring our doorbell, get candy, and get back into the van to speed up to the next house. The houses were not far apart at all, so there was no reason for it apart from laziness. And it made trick or treating for my friends and I unsafe. We had to find more "hidden" routes so that we didn't deal with that traffic.

• Options
    @aurorarose41 no packet needed.  Your perks are VIP access to any place you visit (airports, stadiums, you name it), people willing to help you get in and out of buildings, being a robot, constantly having to tell people what happened to you, and the most popular unknowingly stepping in dog poop.  Welcome :) 
  • Options
    I know a lot of kids do Trunk or Treat and regular trick-or-treating.  There are churches here that have carnivals/trunk-or-treat and they normally start before it gets dark.  So we take the kids to those so they can play games and win prizes and get candy, and then we go for a second round to a bunch of neighborhoods!
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 oh yay I get to take advantage of that VIP status next weekend at the airport! In all seriousness, I am concerned about going through TSA. I have never flown with an injury before so this will be interesting. I'm sure I will have to take my boot off, but I can't stand so I have no idea how I will go through security (will they push me through in a wheelchair?). We are doing a quick San Francisco trip for a Friendsgiving and have had the flights booked for weeks. 

• Options
    @AuroraRose41 you should get a wheelchair and 99% sure they will not make you take the boot off. Call the airport to find out though
  • Options
    @AuroraRose41 I have a prosthetic leg and I fly a lot. They should provide a wheelchair if requested, it's good to request in advance because wheelchairs are a hot commodity in airports, and you might have to wait. TSA should not make you take the boot off. They may want you to roll your pant leg up so they can see the boot. What they will likely do is pat around it and do a swab kind of thing where they rub this special paper around the boot and stick it in a machine (I think it checks for explosives). You shouldn't even have to remove your other shoe, so don't offer it. The last thing the TSA wants is for someone to fall down and get hurt.

When boarding the plane you can board first with your group when they say "those who may need special assistance or extra time."

My experience is with a prosthesis, but I've seen people with casts and boots at airports and the same rules seem to apply. The TSA website is helpful, and if you're really wondering about something you can call. They really aren't that bad, aside from a few disgruntled ones.

• Options
    @speakeasy14 and @wink0erin thank you! I will look into it and call the airport about a wheelchair. Despite being in terrible pain yesterday, my foot is feeling slightly better today. I was able to put a tiny bit of weight on it and can move it more than I could yesterday (though definitely still not a normal range of motion compared to the left foot).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards