Wedding Woes
Options

Hump-Day!

Hopefully that means some BCBC for us all!

Had to get to work super early to take a breakfast delivery (left the house at 7) and my last meeting is at 3, so I'm feeling like a bad dog mom.  But she has her temperament test Monday for Doggy Day Care so she'll get more play time soon.

I need to clean the house bad, well organize and I'll probably get a housekeeper to come back in for the rest.  Sis will be here in a little more than a week and my house looks like a tsunami came through.  Not that it won't after they leave again, because they're those houseguests, but still, I'll feel better when it's done.

Other than that, SSDD.  What's up with you?

Re: Hump-Day!

• Options
    As I was coming into work, news broke that Gord Downie {of The Tragically Hip} passed away. He was fighting terminal cancer, so it's not surprising but it's still not good :(

Not much else tbh. I really need to do my undercut soon. I really wish I could colour my hair, by dr has push a kibosh on that *side eye* I think at prenatal appt I'm gonna ask when I can do it.
  • Options
    Hopefully that means some BCBC for us all!

Last night for sure! Maybe again tonight...

My car is at the dealer. The battery is dying so quickly, we've had to jump it 4 times in a little more than a week, because something is draining it even when the car is completely off. I'm just hoping that whatever it is they can figure it out quickly, and that it's covered by our warranty. I've only had the car a little more than a year. 

Other than that SSDD. Nonprofit work, teaching, then more nonprofit. Wednesdays are busy, and I'm finally feeling the post-race exhaustion. I really thought it wouldn't hit me, but waking up this morning felt like it was impossible. 
  • Options

@charlotte989875, I'll take a stab at your battery problem from my own experience.  When I was in college, I had the same issue.  Luckily, my b/f at the time was somewhat handy and he figured it out.  The car's clock was pulling juice from the battery.  I don't know what he did, but he fixed it.  Of course, that was a '70 Chevy Nova.  So old, it was cool again, lol.

@kimmiinthemitten, go Rosie!  Good luck to her on the temperament test.  Good luck to you on the cleaning!  So hateful, but I'm sure it will be nice to have your sis in town.

@MissKittyDanger, hopefully you can color your hair soon.  I don't know the "rules" on that for pregnant women, lol.

Not much going on with me.  The usual.  I haven't had breakfast yet, but am already thinking about carne asada tacos from my new favorite truck for lunch.

Speaking of food.  I found out there are two Couchon de Lait festivals this weekend.  I'm really excited about that.  Couchon de Lait is like the Cajun version of a Kalua pig.  It is SO good!  I've already checked out the vendor menus and have a game plan, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TK doesn’t want me to log in today, super annoying

i brought in donuts today for someone’s birthday and then someone else brought them too. It’s lije Oprah, you get a donut, you get a donut, everyone gets a donut (plus lots of extras)

looking at pix of baby B today that I took this morning - my baby doesn’t look like a baby anymore he’s a big kid :(
  • Options
    @short+sassy  I know you can't do it in the first trimester .... so I'm just hoping once the 2nd hits I get the clear lol
  • Options
    Probably no BCBC for me tonight. It is lesson night and I always come home, completely soaked in sweat, then shower and fall asleep before I am dry.

DH *finally* brought up our anniversary, which is on Sunday. So now I am supposed to go pick out my anniversary present. **rollseyes** He is down with my idea of spending the day at the beach and then going to a nice steakhouse with prohibition style cocktails afterwards. 

• Options

@charlotte989875, I'll take a stab at your battery problem from my own experience.  When I was in college, I had the same issue.  Luckily, my b/f at the time was somewhat handy and he figured it out.  The car's clock was pulling juice from the battery.  I don't know what he did, but he fixed it.  Of course, that was a '70 Chevy Nova.  So old, it was cool again, lol.

I hope it's that easy! Everything is computerized, so who knows what it could be. But H just called and I guess the dealer he took it to didn't have certified Ford mechanics and because its likely a computer/electrical problem the non-Ford certified mechanics can't look at it. So now it's not getting seen until tomorrow. \AngryFaceEmoji
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 Sounds like an alternator to me.  Do you have any local garages who can check the power output on just that part?
  • Options
    @short+sassy  I know you can't do it in the first trimester .... so I'm just hoping once the 2nd hits I get the clear lol

I disagree actually, and coloured my hair throughout my pregnancy.  I highly recommend the book "Expecting Better", as it covers things that are typically thought unsafe for pregnant women and gives actual statistics to either support or refute the common beliefs.  I still chose to do/not do certain things that the book suggested would be ok, but I also liked having some data based information rather than just common beliefs to go on.

AFM, ran this morning for the last time before I do a 10k on Sunday.  My legs were like lead, as I've done both my lower body weights days already this week as well.  Resting the legs and doing some core/upper tomorrow to round out my week a bit early.

Dorkchop and I are going away for the weekend, flying to visit my parents (which is where my run is).  It'll be her first flight as a 2 year old, so I'm excited about not having to share my seat.

• Options
    jh715 said:

I disagree actually, and coloured my hair throughout my pregnancy.  I highly recommend the book "Expecting Better", as it covers things that are typically thought unsafe for pregnant women and gives actual statistics to either support or refute the common beliefs.  I still chose to do/not do certain things that the book suggested would be ok, but I also liked having some data based information rather than just common beliefs to go on.

I'll definitely look up that book, but my dr did not give me the clear in first trimester when I asked. :\
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 Sounds like an alternator to me.  Do you have any local garages who can check the power output on just that part?
    That's what we thought too, but when AAA came out the second two times to jump it (because we didn't know what was going on), they checked the alternator and the starter and didn't register any output or problems with either of them. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Had another contractor out this morning to give estimate on sink. Getting closer to a decision. Getting mani/pedi this afternoon for DS1's wedding this weekend, doing laundry then off to theater/dinner with girlfriends tonight. Tomorrow packing - still up in the air about what to wear to wedding because weather forecast is changing. It is suppose to be outside (they say they have a plan B ) but it looks like it will be raining.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger, is your doctor very conservative or will he simply not tell you that something is "OK" without medical research? 

When I had Chiquito, I had a doctor who was my age and he said that his wife was expecting their 3rd and she was eating sushi and consuming soft cheeses but they did so intelligently.  Similarly plenty of physicians are going to tell you that no amount of alcohol is deemed safe in pregnancy but it's also because they can't really do studies on how much alcohol to give to a pregnant woman to the point that it pushes the limits on the mother and baby.  Consequently, they say no when there's no conclusive evidence not to.   

Ex: I didn't use self-tanner when I was pregnant.   There was probably no harm that would come to my babies but there were no studies that said it was OK.   I decided it wasn't worth it and didn't worry about my pale legs.   NBD.   

SSDD today.   Game goes on at 5.   

Last night at bedtime I prayed with Chiquita (we do every night) and she interjected, "I hope the Yankees win!"   Sure enough 20 minutes later we had a game 4 victory.

Amusingly when I went to Chiquito's room and asked if he wanted to pray for anyone he said, "Yeah!   School bus!"    

• Options
    banana468 said:
    @MissKittyDanger, is your doctor very conservative or will he simply not tell you that something is "OK" without medical research? 

When I had Chiquito, I had a doctor who was my age and he said that his wife was expecting their 3rd and she was eating sushi and consuming soft cheeses but they did so intelligently.  Similarly plenty of physicians are going to tell you that no amount of alcohol is deemed safe in pregnancy but it's also because they can't really do studies on how much alcohol to give to a pregnant woman to the point that it pushes the limits on the mother and baby.  Consequently, they say no when there's no conclusive evidence not to.

Actually she's not conservative, I've known her for awhile and she knows I tend to colour my hair {typically blonde tbh}
    She hasn't actually told me 'not' to do anything yet - except what I feel I can't do and the litter box.

Tbh I'm actually half wondering if she's wondering if I'll be high risk since I had previous stomach issues, and doesn't want to scare me? Hair colour is a question I'll be bringing up at my prenatal appt
  • Options
    Had another contractor out this morning to give estimate on sink. Getting closer to a decision. Getting mani/pedi this afternoon for DS1's wedding this weekend, doing laundry then off to theater/dinner with girlfriends tonight. Tomorrow packing - still up in the air about what to wear to wedding because weather forecast is changing. It is suppose to be outside (they say they have a plan B ) but it looks like it will be raining.
    Hopefully it doesn't rain! What colour are your nails going to be? :)
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger Have you looked at other options for hair dye? I started using henna dye from Lush. It stinks to high heaven, but I read online some people put scented essential oils in it to cover the stink. IDK how that would work if you've got any nausea though. But there aren't any of the chemicals in it that are typically advised against in pregnancy. 

SSDD over here. Work is awful because it's our busy time of year and everyone is slammed, so OF COURSE senior leadership decided to pull everyone on-site for an all-hands meeting. All of our staff work from home, so this is kind of a big inconvenience, not to mention it takes everyone away from their work for like half a day. They're making up for it with hot dogs and custom buttons though, so...totally worth it. ;)
  • Options
    Need fashion advice please. I have an awards dinner to go to next week and need a dress as nothing I have fits. I haven’t found anything I remotely like but finally found a dress at Target that I don’t hate but still kinda meh as i think the waist hits me low. Picture in spoiler box below (sorry it is hard to see):

If I keep it:
    1. Should I get it hemmed so it hits above the knee  - it hits me a couple inches below the knee
    2. What kind of sweater or jacket would you wear? It’s going to be 50-60 out so I need  something BUT I know I’ll be nervous and I sweat a ton when nervous so I’m afrid I’d have giant sweat circles if I had on a light colored sweater so might take anything off inside anyway
  • Options
    @kvruns Love that dress! I would definitely get it hemmed. As far as a sweater/jacket, I'm clueless. 
  • Options
    @kvruns I think the waist is fine on that dress, but agree 100% with hemming it up above the knee.  Does Target have a sweater that matches the orange/red in the dress?  That would be pretty.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger finger nails will be a gray and toe nails a deep purple with a bit of sparkle. Both of the dresses I'm considering have purple and gray in them. I prefer a lighter color on my fingers and deeper/brighter on my toes.
  • Options
    @kvruns, I would definitely get it hemmed. I also would go with a red or orange (hard to tell what color it is) for a sweater or jacket. Maybe a belt?
  • Options
    @kvruns That dress is super cute! I can't tell from the pic if it should be hemmed, but I know what you mean about the length and hate that weird, not-quite-knee length too. If it makes you uncomfortable, it might be worth hemming it.

Do you have a navy jacket? (The dress looks navy, right?) If you had something the same color as those little pops, I think that would look smart too.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2017
    https://www.target.com/p/women-s-any-day-cardigan-a-new-day-153/-/A-52507226#lnk=sametab

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think about something that matched the color pop (it’s like a burnt orange maybe?). Looking online they have this (oops link above). It looks similar color but not sure - it is same brand though 

edit: here’s the dress from the website too https://www.target.com/p/women-s-printed-crepe-tank-dress-a-new-day-153-navy/-/A-52515890#lnk=sametab

• Options
    My cold is still here and I"m a baby about it.
    I need to curl up into a ball and sleep for a week.  Not having a voice is a serious problem w/ my job--can't yell at kids in a whisper.
    (realistically, I don't yell, I project my voice into large groups who are excited.  80 4th graders who are happy need someone loud to talk to them)

Tomorrow is a half day for the kiddo so the errands I want to do, I should get off my ass to do today.

• Options
    Happy Hump Day.

@kvruns  - cute dress.  Agree with others about hemming.

Mom's procedure went well today.  She is in pain, but otherwise doing well.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled with the amount of pain killers she has been taking.    She is getting really moody and lashes out at my dad for stupid reasons.     I can't help but wonder if she is addicted.   I've tried to bring it up with my dad to no avail.

Oh and she was diagnosed with diabetes, but doesn't really have food restrictions.   WTF?    :/    My DH is pre-diabetic and sees a nutritionist.  Granted he isn't doing what he is suppose to, which is another vent, but at least he isn't trying to convince me he doesn't need to change his diet. 

Anyway, had an amazing hike yesterday.  For some reason I'm sore today.   It was steep (3200 vertical feet in 4 miles), but it didn't seem that steep that my calves would hurt.  The views were amazing.   

One of the other guides had to pull out of a hike tomorrow. So I get to do another member hike and this one includes lunch.  Getting paid to hike and go to one of my favorite BBQ places?   Yes, please.  

Today I signed up for the uphill charity hike I did last year. 3267 vertical feet in 2.5 miles @ night mind you.  Yep, you have to hike uphill, in the snow with a headlamp.  Crazy right?  I'm hoping to cut 33 minutes off last year's time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I agree about hemming @kvruns. What about a large shall or scarf? That way if it's warm inside you can take it off?
  • Options
    I agree with the hemming, too @ kvruns. I like @charlotte989875's idea of a scarf.

I have a midterm today. Not feeling really confident about it. My friend is coming over to practice first before we go in. I had the weirdest dreams last night and even though I don't remember all of the details, I feel off this morning. In other good news though, since I was at my parent's house last night, I ordered food from my favorite indian restaurant to take home. I can't wait for dinner tonight. 

• Options
    @ahoywedding haven't considered henna, only because I typically lighten my hair. But I might look into it until I get the clear. I could do some other colour for a bit :) thanks!
  • Options
    I tried the Lush henna hair dye and omg...it smelled awful. Like total ass. My friend and I dyed our hair with it once and the kitchen smelled terrible for three days. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    I tried the Lush henna hair dye and omg...it smelled awful. Like total ass. My friend and I dyed our hair with it once and the kitchen smelled terrible for three days. 
    It smells horrid for sure. I goggled the crap out of it while it was stinking up my head and a lot of people said they added scented oils and that helped. I'm going to give it one more try since I have some left. I also saw a few people who bought plain henna instead of the Lush blocks because I guess whatever Lush adds to it is what makes it reek.