Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Help hiring ceremony musician

I found a musician who seems very talented, has great reviews, and is affordable because he only charges for what you need. However, I'm not really sure what it is I need for the ceremony besides the processional and recessional.
Additionally, we have asked a close friend of ours who is a musician to play a song as well and another to sing. Would it be weird if we had someone hired to do it throughout the ceremony then took a break for our friends?

Re: Help hiring ceremony musician

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I found a musician who seems very talented, has great reviews, and is affordable because he only charges for what you need. However, I'm not really sure what it is I need for the ceremony besides the processional and recessional.
    Additionally, we have asked a close friend of ours who is a musician to play a song as well and another to sing. Would it be weird if we had someone hired to do it throughout the ceremony then took a break for our friends?
    The scope of work for hiring someone is up to you. Many people have the musicians playing 30ish minutes prior to the ceremony as guests are arriving and sitting down. Then they play whatever is needed for the ceremony. And then they play another 30ish minutes as guests are going through the receiving line (if doing) and exiting the venue. 

If you want him to play before the ceremony, for the processional, for the recessional, and again after the ceremony, well then that's the scope of work. It's not weird to have your friends do their thing in between. Not at all. It's business. Just give him a program of what's happening so he knows when to play and pay him what you agree on. It's business.
    *********************************************************************************