Wedding Etiquette Forum

Why would you password protect your wedding website?

First I found this couples wedding website by searching their name on google and the link gave me a password protected wedding website and I was able to click cache on the page, then a month later a couple days ago I search and all I find for their website is no information is available for this page. Why is this. Then today I google it and it doesn't even come up at all. Do you think they had the settings as public or password protected but still searchable at first but then changed it? And why did it first say no information is available and now nothing comes up?

Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I answered you in CC..if you post on multiple boards put XP in the title  ;)
  • My sister is a pretty private person (no Facebook, no Twitter or Instagram) and she doesn't put much of her business on the internet. She had a password on her wedding website that went out with invitations (and STDs I think) mainly to protect their information. She doesn't typically share a lot online so I didn't think it was weird. The password was easy to remember and the site stored it. 
  • I can't tell you about why they would have taken it down, but maybe they decided just to convey that information with an insert or by word of mouth.

Presumably you would password protect the site so that the information about ceremony and reception is private, and you don't get wedding crashers. Some people might do it if they have disorderly relatives who won't be invited; I know one person who did it because he had been the assistant rector of an all-male dorm (almost like a fraternity in the culture), and was getting married on campus. While he was inviting some of his closest former residents, he didn't want the whole dorm crashing his wedding because they found it hilarious.
  • I can't tell you about why they would have taken it down, but maybe they decided just to convey that information with an insert or by word of mouth.

Presumably you would password protect the site so that the information about ceremony and reception is private, and you don't get wedding crashers. Some people might do it if they have disorderly relatives who won't be invited; I know one person who did it because he had been the assistant rector of an all-male dorm (almost like a fraternity in the culture), and was getting married on campus. While he was inviting some of his closest former residents, he didn't want the whole dorm crashing his wedding because they found it hilarious.
    They didnt take the website down, it just isnt searchable on google anymore. I can still find it by going to their registry though because there is still a link to it there.

They didnt take the website down, it just isnt searchable on google anymore. I can still find it by going to their registry though because there is still a link to it there.
    Okay. I assumed what you meant by "all I find for their website is no information is available for this page" was that it had been taken down.

My best guess would be privacy - making the information not available to coworkers, relatives, frat bros, stalkers, etc. There are other ways for invited guests to get the information they need; websites are just for convenience sometimes.
  • I don't know, and I really don't think they want me to have the password, they put me in a restricted list on Facebook and hid the engagement from me

Okay. I assumed what you meant by "all I find for their website is no information is available for this page" was that it had been taken down.

My best guess would be privacy - making the information not available to coworkers, relatives, frat bros, stalkers, etc. There are other ways for invited guests to get the information they need; websites are just for convenience sometimes.
    Also, I noticed that if the registry is searchable or if you look up the couple on the registry search on the knot, you will still find the couple's wedding website if they have put it with their registry. This was the case with this couple, the website itself doesn't come up on googGo but their registry does and that has a link to their website. It still has a password though.
  • Are you invited to this wedding? If not, please leave their website alone. The reason people chose to password protect their website is to avoid uninvited guests or people who they don't want having info for some reason (exes, stalkers, etc.). Leave this couple alone.
    I want to know if they password protected it or made it unsearchable because of me
  • And really you can still find it if you search on the knot just not on Google
  • Are you invited to this wedding? If not, please leave their website alone. The reason people chose to password protect their website is to avoid uninvited guests or people who they don't want having info for some reason (exes, stalkers, etc.). Leave this couple alone.
    I want to know if they password protected it or made it unsearchable because of me
    Why would you suspect they did it because of you? Is this couple friends of yours?
    In the interest of maintaining your privacy, OP, does your first name begin with an "A" and end with a "Y"?

• I don't know, and I really don't think they want me to have the password, they put me in a restricted list on Facebook and hid the engagement from me
    I mean....this. This is why you password protect things. They clearly have people they don't want to have access to their wedding plans, and you're one of them. 

I get it, I used to also enjoy "snooping" on old friends or colleagues, but as I get older I'm more protective about my personal life and share less with the general public. If you're not invited to the wedding and especially if you're not friends with the couple, realize that it's none of your beeswax and move on.
  • Googling their wedding website is internet stalking? And wondering why they password protected it?
    I mean....this. This is why you password protect things. They clearly have people they don't want to have access to their wedding plans, and you're one of them. 

I get it, I used to also enjoy "snooping" on old friends or colleagues, but as I get older I'm more protective about my personal life and share less with the general public. If you're not invited to the wedding and especially if you're not friends with the couple, realize that it's none of your beeswax and move on.
    They clearly have people they specifically don't want to know their wedding info? And I'm one of them? How do you know that? And were they hiding it specifically from me?

They clearly have people they specifically don't want to know their wedding info? And I'm one of them? How do you know that? And were they hiding it specifically from me?
    Curious why you would think they want to hide it from you, specifically? I'm assuming you're not invited to the wedding (otherwise you'd have the password, right), so I guess I'm wondering why you care so much. 

....because if you were invited or if they wanted you to know the wedding details, you would have the password? 

Seriously, drop this. They don't want you to know. If you thought you were friends with this couple or thought you should have been invited, it's okay to feel hurt but take this as a hint and move on. Why do you want to know their wedding details so badly?
  • Do you know these people?   Have you talked to them at all??   Are you invited? 

Plenty of people like to keep their personal lives private.

But if you're not invited to the shindig take the hint.  

Don't worry - if they don't have an air conditioner or a tent in the park the weather not be great that day anyway.   
  • Googling their wedding website is internet stalking? And wondering why they password protected it?
    You've clearly googled it multiple times over the course of multiple months and, despite their password, tried to find a way in anyway. You've tried to figure out their facebook settings to restrict your snooping. You even went so far as to stalk their registries to figure out a way into their website. So yea, internet stalking.
    *********************************************************************************

• I knew (hoped? I shouldn't hope for these things) that this was the turn this thread would take. I got that vibe. I almost added a "Why do you care so much?" but decided to leave it with the fact that "invited guests" have ways to get the info they need.

OP, this has crossed the border into stalking. Please let it go. They don't want you to have this information. You really don't even need to know the reason that someone might not want to give you (or anyone else) their wedding info. I'd restate the reason, but others have explained it and you don't seem to comprehend it.