Wedding Woes
Options

Snow Day Tuesday

Re: Snow Day Tuesday

• Options

I've been slightly tempted with the Walmart pick-up.  But, every time I think about it, I don't see it being anything but a disaster.  I'm highly skeptical.  I dunno.  Maybe I should try it out with a small order.

I picture they'll forget something.  I wouldn't dare leave until I've double checked everything, because then it would take me just as long to go home and drive back as it would to have done all the shopping myself to begin with.

And/or I'll be sitting at the special pick-up section in the front.  And sitting...and sitting...and sitting.  Have to go inside...spend 15-20+ minutes waiting in line to talk to or go hunting for someone to help me.  Now I'm back to it taking almost as long as for me to have just done the shopping myself, except even more aggravating.

What about frozen stuff?  Do you all know if they keep that somewhere special and don't bring it out until my car is literally sitting at the curb?

Definitely forget produce.  I'd have to either leave that off my list and go inside to buy that anyway or buy it elsewhere.  Produce is HORRIBLE where I live.  Not just at Walmart.  Everywhere.  I often have produce items on my list, but don't even buy those items 25% of the time.  Because even cherry-picking the "best" ones are not acceptable.  50% of the time, the majority of the fruit is awful, but I can get what I need by cherry-picking.  Only 25% of the time would randomly grabbing fruit items work out.  I could only imagine what rotting, nasty examples I might end up with if I just had instructions for 5 oranges and one bunch of bananas.

I sound like such a grouchy-pants!  But it comes from experience, lol.

I haven't had them forget something yet.  I have had to call their customer service line to change a time pickup and it was very smooth.  

They have the phone number to call at the front of the parking stalls, so you can call that, or you can use the app.  I've never waited more than a minute to either have them walking out, or if it's just one person on, they acknowledge me and ask my name so that they can get me checked in and my groceries out.  And that's picking up at 5, when I think they are the busiest.

They keep everything in a special refrigerator, with additional freezer mats for the frozen things.  The time that I had to change my pickup order to the next day b/c of freezing rain, all of my frozen items were still frozen at pickup.

They guarantee your produce will be fresh or you can return it and get a refund or a new one.  I was most suspicious of this as well, but they've never chosen anything but good produce for me.

I've had nothing but good experiences and appreciate the major time saver, and really money saver b/c there's not more "this looks good" moments, that the service provides.
  • Options
    I've debated on the Wal-Mart pickup, but I do a lot of price checking. Do they go the lowest amount or do you have to specify the brand?

We may try it out after BabyKitten is born with a basic list, just to see how they are in our area.
  • Options
    I've debated on the Wal-Mart pickup, but I do a lot of price checking. Do they go the lowest amount or do you have to specify the brand?

We may try it out after BabyKitten is born with a basic list, just to see how they are in our area.
    I do it through my phone, so basically I type in "chicken noodle soup" and it pulls up everything related to chicken noodle soup and I can go through the products and brands to choose the one I want.  I also take the step of inputting my receipt into my Walmart account and they run the price match on it and give me the monies that I would've saved into the account.
  • Options

@ShesSoCold and @VarunaTT, thanks for the feedback and info on how they handle frozen items!  I'll try it out.

On a different topic, but a review.  I tried the Diet Coke Twisted Mango and the Twisted Black Cherry.

The Twisted Mango was delicious!  I was surprised.  I even bought an 8-pack (in a box) of it the next time I was at the store.  In a nutshell, it tasted exactly like it sounds.  Diet coke with a good taste of mango.  The mango flavor was about right.  You could taste it, but it wasn't too strong.  It also didn't have a strong artificial flavor taste.  I was worried about that.

The Twisted Black Cherry was okay, but I didn't especially care for it.  I finished the drink, but wouldn't buy it again.  Someone on the Superbowl ad post had mentioned it had a bit of a spicy flavor.  I concur.  Even with that warning, it was still really unexpected.  Spiciness just doesn't make sense for that flavor.  Very weird.  But it was really more the flavor itself that I didn't care for, though not terrible. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy I'm not big on dark pop, but cherry coke/vanilla coke is soooo good {better than Pepsi, idk why}
  • Options
    @CharmedPam Yes you can. You still had to go after work and get the groceries ;) #alltheexcuses #nocooking
  • Options

@CharmedPam, oh that gif!  I have so been there.  Like, okay, now I've bought all the things to cook.  But am way too tired for that noise right now, lol.

The distance to Walmart is part of my problem.  The closest one to me is still a good 15-20 minutes away (door to door, in one direction) and there is nothing on my way home to work.  Not horrible!  But still a special trip and far enough that I don't want it to be wasted.

Speaking of a waste of my time.  I took a mystery shop that I was going to do at lunch today.  I normally wouldn't have bothered, but the location is almost right next door to where I work.

So I spend a good 15 minutes reading all the instructions and memorizing some of them.  Walk to the location and back (another 5 minutes).  I spent about 5 minutes at the store and am immediately alarmed because they don't seem to carry the item I'm looking for (an ATV).  I sneak out before an associate comes to talk to me and call my scheduler.  She asks me to anonymously call the store and ask if they carry ATVs and then call her back.  I call twice (didn't pick up the first time).  Nope.  No ATVS, smh.  Call her back.  All the phone calls, another 10 minutes.

Awesome.  So now half my lunch hour is gone for nothing.  I'm going to wrangle for half my fee, if they don't automatically offer it.  Because that is some serious BULL!!!  Sorry your client is such a clueless f**k that they don't even know what stores carry their ATVs. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@CharmedPam, oh that gif!  I have so been there.  Like, okay, now I've bought all the things to cook.  But am way too tired for that noise right now, lol.

The distance to Walmart is part of my problem.  The closest one to me is still a good 15-20 minutes away (door to door, in one direction) and there is nothing on my way home to work.  Not horrible!  But still a special trip and far enough that I don't want it to be wasted.

Speaking of a waste of my time.  I took a mystery shop that I was going to do at lunch today.  I normally wouldn't have bothered, but the location is almost right next door to where I work.

So I spend a good 15 minutes reading all the instructions and memorizing some of them.  Walk to the location and back (another 5 minutes).  I spent about 5 minutes at the store and am immediately alarmed because they don't seem to carry the item I'm looking for (an ATV).  I sneak out before an associate comes to talk to me and call my scheduler.  She asks me to anonymously call the store and ask if they carry ATVs and then call her back.  I call twice (didn't pick up the first time).  Nope.  No ATVS, smh.  Call her back.  All the phone calls, another 10 minutes.

Awesome.  So now half my lunch hour is gone for nothing.  I'm going to wrangle for half my fee, if they don't automatically offer it.  Because that is some serious BULL!!!  Sorry your client is such a clueless f**k that they don't even know what stores carry their ATVs. 

I'd love an ATV though...... very annoying!  H and I looked at mattresses over the weekend and today something came in my email about a mystery shop for a mattress company.  Probably not a store that would deliver to the condo but we DO speak mattress now....

• Options
    6fsn said:
    I just registered my kid for kindergarten. Class of 2031!
    Oi, doesn't your heart drop? My kid will be in SK next year and he's such a little grown up. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    6fsn said:
    I just registered my kid for kindergarten. Class of 2031!
    Oi, doesn't your heart drop? My kid will be in SK next year and he's such a little grown up. 

I don't know, it's kind of a taste of freedom.  Instead of 2 hrs kid free three times a week I'll have 2/3 DAYS a week kid free.  I reserve the right to cry come August though.
  • Options
    you reminded me, @short+sassy, to add some berries to my list.  Maybe there was a reason I couldn't check out yet?

Not only do they do the price match thingy - if any price drops between your order submittal and pick up they charge you the lower price :)

edit: the convenience thing, will be wonderful.  there is a Walmart on my way home, not even out of the way.  So setting it for 5-6, I can leave work, pull up, get my groceries and go home.  I can't even use this excuse 

I haven't even grocery shopped but I feel like this tonight. Plus I fucked up. I usually plan to cook 4 meals a week and we have leftovers the other nights. I accidentally planned (and bought for) 5 weekday meals, plus the corned beef I'm currently brining for Saturday. So I HAVE to cook every night this week, dammit. :(

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    @shesocold- any way to freeze one of those meals?  Or at least the protein and repurpose the fresh stuff.
  • Options
    you reminded me, @short+sassy, to add some berries to my list.  Maybe there was a reason I couldn't check out yet?

Not only do they do the price match thingy - if any price drops between your order submittal and pick up they charge you the lower price :)

edit: the convenience thing, will be wonderful.  there is a Walmart on my way home, not even out of the way.  So setting it for 5-6, I can leave work, pull up, get my groceries and go home.  I can't even use this excuse 

I haven't even grocery shopped but I feel like this tonight. Plus I fucked up. I usually plan to cook 4 meals a week and we have leftovers the other nights. I accidentally planned (and bought for) 5 weekday meals, plus the corned beef I'm currently brining for Saturday. So I HAVE to cook every night this week, dammit. :(

Dammit @ShesSoCold you had one job lol
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    @shesocold- any way to freeze one of those meals?  Or at least the protein and repurpose the fresh stuff.

Yeah, one was linguini with clam sauce so all I bought fresh was parsley. So if we still have a ton of leftovers at the end of the week, I can be okay with throwing away 78 cents. But that was the ONE THING I was excited about eating this week.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    On the grocery topic, Aldi just joined Instacart. This may finally be my foray into virtual grocery shopping. HOWEVER. DH and I shop at Aldi specifically because we're frugal so paying someone to shop for us is totally outside our comfort zone. But, with the baby in the house now, sometimes we just don't get out to grocery shop and the in-house situation becomes what I like to jokingly refer to as "desperate." 

Tempting... tempting...

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Ugh.   It just stopped snowing.   I'd say we are at about a foot of snow.

DH went out and started the snow blower.

And then it stopped.

This means that something isn't working, he's stopping to fix it and/or run out for parts to fix it and he's going to be in a GREEEAAAAAAT mood because if there's anything my husband loves, it's cleaning up after nature.  (Did you sense the sarcasm?   That was sarcasm.)

Tomorrow morning I need to get up to hit the road to a customer and hope to avoid major traffic in the NYC area while DH is on kid duty.  

I'm going to need to buy him more bourbon and wear the good underwear. 
    Giggling more than I should the way you said both :')
  • Options
    On the grocery topic, Aldi just joined Instacart. This may finally be my foray into virtual grocery shopping. HOWEVER. DH and I shop at Aldi specifically because we're frugal so paying someone to shop for us is totally outside our comfort zone. But, with the baby in the house now, sometimes we just don't get out to grocery shop and the in-house situation becomes what I like to jokingly refer to as "desperate." 

Tempting... tempting...
    My husband is pretty frugal too...but the hour we save ourselves grocery shopping is an investment even he can get into!
  • Options
    on the topic of price, from the walmart website it looked pretty comparable to the store prices.  If there was any price difference, I didn't see any!

• Options
    banana468 said:

And then it stopped.

This means that something isn't working, he's stopping to fix it and/or run out for parts to fix it and he's going to be in a GREEEAAAAAAT mood because if there's anything my husband loves, it's cleaning up after nature.  (Did you sense the sarcasm?   That was sarcasm.)

Tomorrow morning I need to get up to hit the road to a customer and hope to avoid major traffic in the NYC area while DH is on kid duty.  

I feel for him.   It's a job he takes on and it's cold, stinky and sucks when the equipment doesn't work.   He has said on more than one occasion that he hates the clean up from nature part.   It's dumb but it's our house so we have to do it.  

I wouldn't be surprised if we hire a plowing service next year. 
  • Options
    My brother in law, who was born here in Michigan but has lived in Florida for the last 10 years is in Chicago for work, has nothing to do until tomorrow,  and isn't leaving his hotel because it's too cold.  He's a Wuss...capital W.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

And then it stopped.

I feel for him.   It's a job he takes on and it's cold, stinky and sucks when the equipment doesn't work.   He has said on more than one occasion that he hates the clean up from nature part.   It's dumb but it's our house so we have to do it.  

I wouldn't be surprised if we hire a plowing service next year. 
    Oh I agree. We have a short walkway but M hates shoveling.

Just your responses make me giggle :)
  • Options

@OliveOilsMom, that's good to hear about your mom!  I hope she is able to come home later today.  I'm sure she would be more comfortable there.  You are a crafty one with your plans to create a similar shower drain holder, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My brother in law, who was born here in Michigan but has lived in Florida for the last 10 years is in Chicago for work, has nothing to do until tomorrow,  and isn't leaving his hotel because it's too cold.  He's a Wuss...capital W.
    It's not even cold here! It was above freezing today!
  • Options
    It's not even cold here! It was above freezing today!
    Yeah this is a wet warm snow. Come on. I guarantee you there's at least one bar within a 2 minute walk of his hotel too (if he's staying in the Loop area).