Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

First Look & Scheduling (hair, makeup, etc)

Fellow brides,

I never thought I would opt to do this but my fiance and I are going to do the first look prior to the ceremony.  I want to have that moment alone and also try and fit in other pictures prior to ceremony so we can reduce having to be taken away from the party (we are paying for the wedding and want to enjoy every moment!)

I'll get straight to the point.  The guests will be arriving at 6pm. It will be in Feb/winter so I will want to get the most out of day light. My question is, what time should I aim to get ready in the morning (hair & make up etc)? Also (as I mentioned about the first look) what time should we to do the first look (I will be having this at the venue)? I've been a bridesmaid for several weddings but none that alotted time for pictures with the entire bridal party etc since they all waited to see their groom.

I know you cannot overly plan these things since they never really exactly go according to schedule but I would love some insight or thoughts from people that have done a first look.  Things you could have done to make the process any easier or organizied...things you didn't know would happen or factors to consider.. I'd really appreciate it! :)  Thank you for your help!

Re: First Look & Scheduling (hair, makeup, etc)

• I'd have a chat with your photographer.  Start talking about how much time they want or need for the shots you want.  That way, you can work yourselves backwards.  Keep in mind, you'll want to stop photos an hour before your ceremony.  That way, you have some cushion time (just in case), and have time to re-primp and relax/reflect prior to your ceremony.  Also, give yourself lots of time.  If you're having your hair and make-up professionally done (which you should) then having an extra half an hour or even an hour prior to photos isn't going to hurt anything, and you'll have more time to relax.
  • I had a 5pm ceremony and went to the salon for makeup and hair at 9:30am. It took about 90 mins, plus travel to the venue. We did the first look at 12:30pm til 3pm then did photos with our family until 4pm. We hardly did any photos after the ceremony so we could be at cocktail hour.

I am soooooooo glad I did a first look. It made everything so much easier and we got a ton of great photos I never would have had time to take unless I imposed a dreaded gap on my guests.

GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We had a winter wedding.  We first found out what time sunset was.  Then we figured we'd want to be done 30 minutes prior to that.  So work backwards.  Ask your hair stylist and makeup artist how much time they need.  Always factor in extra time.

Do you have other girls that will be getting ready?  I got my hair done at the salon around 7am.  Had lunch and makeup at the hotel.  Got into my dress at 2:30 and was ready for first look at 3pm.  By 4:30, we were done first look, bridal party photos and immediate family photos.

We were able to enjoy the cocktail hour and just took a few extended family photos during the reception.  It worked out perfectly.
  • Great! Thank you ladies.  This helps me breath a little easier about our choice.  Overall I will definitely work backwards.

Yes, I have 4 bridesmaids.  Also, I think what may worry me is the photographer trying to capture the guys getting ready also (since we will be at the same hotel).  I just just shell out the extra $ to have an extra photographer.  Not sure if it's worth it but I'm thinking..the more pics the better and would feel less rushed?

Wow 102 days to go!

• When deciding whether to shell out more for getting ready photos of the guys - as yourself this - what will I do with these images? I had a second shooter for the ceremony and reception. But they literally take 5 mins with Hubs as he pretended to get dressed. He put on his shoes, jacket and cufflinks. We don't plan to hang photos on the wall of him getting ready so it wasn't worth the extra money. The first look photos were bc we do plan to hang them on the wall. :) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Again I'd chat with your photographer.  It's possible that he/she can get the shots of him getting ready (because @photokitty is right, it will only take moments if necessary) just with one photographer.  Are you getting an album?  These photos are great for albums.  A friend of mine has just as many photos with her getting ready and him (they were in two rooms of a hotel right next to each other) and it's actually really cool to see the progression on both sides of the wall.  A 2nd photographer is going to give you more angles all day, not just during the ceremony.
  • Great! Thank you ladies.  This helps me breath a little easier about our choice.  Overall I will definitely work backwards.

Yes, I have 4 bridesmaids.  Also, I think what may worry me is the photographer trying to capture the guys getting ready also (since we will be at the same hotel).  I just just shell out the extra $ to have an extra photographer.  Not sure if it's worth it but I'm thinking..the more pics the better and would feel less rushed?

Wow 102 days to go!

We had one photographer.  We booked two suites, one for the girls to get ready, one for the guys.  I had the hotel put the rooms on the same floor but down the hall around the corner.  Our photographer was easily able to run down to the guy's room and take some photos.  He had them "pretend" getting ready, took a bunch of photos, and was done.  It really wasn't long, maybe 10 or 15 minutes?  I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I'm currently going over the details with the photography place as we speak.  I can understand everyones point of view. 

Thanks again this has been very helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards