Not Engaged Yet
Options

Morning Weddings

Hi ladies,

Just some quick background: BF and I have picked out and purchased the ring but he's waiting to pop the question until he can ask my dad (who is currently in South Dakota for work) for permission face-to-face in December. Lately we've been tossing some ideas back and forth and we both think the idea of a morning wedding followed by a champagne brunch would be fantastic

So, I was wondering if anyone else has done a morning wedding. If so were there pros/cons to it?

Thanks!

Re: Morning Weddings

• Options
    the earliest wedding I've attended/been in started at 11 AM.  the only downside that I remember is that you have to get up at the crack of dawn to get ready!  however, if you're having a low-key wedding, it might not be a big deal.  I think a morning wedding followed by a champagne brunch could be lovely...  I'd enjoy attending, but then I'm a morning person!
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    That's exciting! :)

Off the top of my head, the only things I can think of that would contraindicate a morning wedding would be not as much dancing/partying if that's what you're interested in. The earliest wedding I've been to started at 11:30 for the ceremony, followed by a lengthy receiving line and lunch. People were basically done before 3 PM and didn't do much after the first dance but eat, visit for a little while, and then leave.

But, I think that sounds like a fun and relaxed way to host a wedding, so I'm personally a huge fan! Plus, brunch food is the bomb.
  • Options
    I agree with others that you might not have as much dancing/partying - but honestly, it would be so different from any others I attended I think it would be wonderful! (Not to mention champagne - hells yeah!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister's ceremony began at 10 a.m. and the reception from noon to 4. It was an ok timeline, but we had to get up at 5 a.m. to get ready, was still just barely on time and instead of spending the night together, my sister and BIL spent the night partying at the bar with their guests because the reception had ended so early. I probably have mixed feelings about morning weddings.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't mind morning weddings, the last one I went to was like 4 years ago on a SUNDAY and it started at 11 am, then had a cocktail hour followed by lunch and dancing.  I think it was over by like 4 pm which left me the whole afternoon/evening open to go off on a dinner and a booty call with my now husband.  Watching him do the walk of shame the next morning was a highlight.
  • Options
    I once attended a wedding that started at 9am.  Then we had lunch and the reception was over by 3pm.

Honestly, it was obnoxiously early for me.  I had to be up EARLY to get ready and to the church on time.

I can get over the time though.  What I can't get over is the cash bar and bridal shower that I had to pay ADMISSION to.  (No, I'm not kidding.)
  • Options
    I once attended a wedding that started at 9am.  Then we had lunch and the reception was over by 3pm.

Honestly, it was obnoxiously early for me.  I had to be up EARLY to get ready and to the church on time.

I can get over the time though.  What I can't get over is the cash bar and bridal shower that I had to pay ADMISSION to.  (No, I'm not kidding.)
    Um... what?  How much was admission?!?!?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Now that's insane.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The earliest wedding I've ever been to is a 12:30 ceremony and if it was an hour or two earlier then I don't think I would mind that too much. I'm a morning person as well but the energy at the wedding may be different than an evening wedding. I think it sounds lovely though and I'm sure despite the hour, the guests will have a great time.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    KateJ16 said:

Um... what?  How much was admission?!?!?

$20.  And we were HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to buy raffle tickets, that were compiled, and paid for, by the BP.
  • Options
    I've been to early afternoon wedding and FI & I have on this coming weekend. It's not bad and then we have the rest of the night to do whatever!

Anniversary

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2013
    I think if it wasn't too early (like 11am) that would be okay. I'm not much of a morning person, and H is even less of one. I've only been to one earlier wedding, and it was a tad annoying because there was a break. A few of us went out to lunch but still had another few hours to kill. Since it doesn't sound like you're considering a break, it sounds good.
  • Options
    I was talking to my Grandma about that recently. She has one of her wedding invitations framed but I had never really taken the time to look at it, so when I noticed it was early in the morning, I asked her why. She said that's just what everyone did back then. Which is totally cool, I love tradition...but I'm not a morning person.

I feel like 11 or even 10am shouldn't be too early for any of your guests unless it's a long drive to the location. But you and your attendants would have to be up early, as would your hair stylist and vendors.

One plus is that you could have an awesome brunch reception :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I hate mornings. I'm not a pleasant person in the mornings. So I would hate to have a morning wedding and in all honesty I would not be thrilled to get up and go to one. The idea of brunch might make me more okay with the idea though, I love brunch.

• Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies!
    By morning I definitely mean ceremony starting around 11 and brunch starting around noon (no break where people have to find something else to do). I can't imagine making people wake up on a weekend any earlier than that...
    We do enjoy partying but honestly I think we'd both enjoy visiting guests then hopping on a plane to our honeymoon more than a few hours of dancing. And most of our family/friends are within a 30 minutes - 1 hour drive.
    So, thank you all again for your feedback! Definitely gives me a good perspective for future planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards