Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Cake Cutting

Hi ladies-

My venue told me that cake cutting was NOT an extra (nor was cookie tray set-up). My mom talked to them yesterday inquiring about delivery times for vendors and he mentioned to her that there is a $1 pp fee for cake cutting, if you bring in your own cake. This is NOT stated anywhere in the contract. (My FI also remembers him saying there was no fee and the guy remarked he thought it was tacky that places charge for that)

Do I have a leg to stand on in this situation? I already emailed him saying it's not in my contract, but are not sure how far to push the issue.

Opinions? Thoughts?

TIA!

Re: Cake Cutting

• dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I def think you have a leg to stand on since it is not in your contract! Not sure how far id go.. i'd def at least bring up the subject. My FI would be pretty pissed about something like this so he'd prob go pretty far with it...

• Janiceb2010Janiceb2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with db.  If they are going to charge you a fee, it should have been in the contract.  It is written into our contract that we have to pay a fee if we bring in an outside cake.  (We are bringing in a cake so will pay the fee.  It still turns out to be less expensive for us since their cakes were so expensive and not that tasty).

Pittsburgh September Siggy - Our honeymoon will be at the Royal Suites Turquesas in P*nta Cana. Super excited!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it isn't in the contract, I think you definitely have a leg to stand on.  I'd be firm with them and maybe talk to them in person or over the phone... people are always braver always email, but if you had him live on the phone, he may cave to your argument.

GL!
  • dalecnardalecnar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - something like this should have been in the contract. 

Did you take notes when you met with the venue that would indicate them saying that there was no cake cutting fee?  I wrote a bunch of details down to make sure I had that info and it might help with your fight. 
    PGH June Siggy-Favorite Summer Activity-KennywoodWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I feel better about it already. Pushing it was obvious, but how far is another question. Glad to hear you all are on the same page :-)

thanks!!
  • MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be surprised if you would need to push it all that far to be honest. Since everyone in the wedding business runs on reputation. I would take it as far as the owner of the establishment. The guy you talked to might continue to insist on this fee but I would guess the owner will accommodate you more since his rep would be on the line. 

If you take it that far and they still insist on making you pay you will have little other choice but to pay because not paying what they will consider to be the full amount could have massive ramifications for you on your wedding day. After that, the only two things I can see you being able to do is (1) place honest reviews on every website you can find about them, and/or (2) get a lawyer. Unless you know a lawyer I doubt that you will get back a fraction of what you spend, but I would still consider finding places that offer free consultations cause hey - you never know, right?  But like I said, I doubt it will even get that far. My best guess would be that it is something that they began doing after you signed your contract - which would mean that you should be exempted from the charge. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards