Chit Chat
Options

ND woman handing out letters to overweight kids on Halloween?

This woman made my local news halfway across the country, as well as everywhere else it seems.  For those who haven't heard about it, my understanding is that when kids come trick or treating tonight if she deems them to be obese she will not give them candy, but instead a letter to take home to their parents saying that they are obese and should have their candy rationed.

I imagine this is a hot button issue, but what are your thoughts?  Also. . . . .when answering, I'm interested to see if you are a parent, or not. (if you don't mind)

Re: ND woman handing out letters to overweight kids on Halloween?

• Options

Here is one of the many links to articles about it for those who want to see the actual news reports.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57610010/n.d-woman-to-hand-out-fat-letters-to-obese-kids-during-halloween/

• Options
    That is horrible. I'm not a parent. I am however underweight for my height. I don't know my exact BMI but it is the equivalent of an athlete's. All my life I've been told I need to gain weight. That's impossible for me. I have a very high metabolism so any food I eat beyond what I need, my body gets rid of.
    So not the exact same but similar situation.
  • Options

I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter and I would be livid if anyone ever commented to her on her size - positive or negative. No one needs to tell a child that they are "bad" for being fat or "good" for being skinny, we are so weight obsessed in America it's insane.

I also hate the undertone that being fat is the worst thing a parent can let happen to their child.  What about caring more that a child is intelligent, empathetic, kind, loving.... there are so many more things in life than weight.

• Options
    if she's worried about too much candy, how about she give out a healthy alternative to all children? Hand our pencils or mini notebooks or something. Technically speaking NO kid needs candy, but it's part of the fun of halloween and it's not her place to tell parents how to raise their children.
  • Options
    I don't have kids, but I would lose it over that! She has no business pulling that kind of shit.
  • Options
    I don't have kids, but if I did and someone did something like this to one of them, I would bitchslap them so hard. If she's really concerned about the kids' health, she could have given our fruit, or seed bars, or something else instead.

I am overweight. I have been overweight all my life, thanks to a combination of shitty genes and out of whack hormones. I could eat rice crackers and tofu for every meal, exercise like I'm trying to be an all-natural Lance Armstrong, and I would still be overweight. I will never be "thin".

FI on the other hand is underweight. He has been underweight all his life, thanks to a combination of ridiculously fast metabolism and kidney problems. He could eat junk food for every meal and never get off the couch and he would still be underweight.

Without knowing our stories, people just see a fat chick and a borderline skeletal guy. It's nobody's business but ours (and our doctors), and this kind of judgement does not help anyone in anyway. The emotional scarring it leaves in adults is bad enough, but in kids it's even worse.

I think this woman is presumptious, obnoxious, rude, shallow, and tacky, and should NEVER be allowed to deal with kids in any way, shape, or form.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    The concept is horrible, but knowing the DJs who "broke the story," it's probably a radio hoax: Link to local story
  • Options

I feel better for the children of Fargo knowing that it is likely a hoax!  It is, however, and interesting topic.

I for one, believe that there are many factors that could contribute to the weight of a child (whether they are under or overweight).  I don't think it's a stranger's place to make the determination that a parent needs to ration their child's candy intake, especially without knowing that child's medical background. 

If this letter were true, it would be doing nothing but promoting bullying!

I do, however, believe that obesity is a problem in children or adults when it causes health issues.  It is the responsibility of parents to determine whether they need to do something to monitor their childrens' weight.  The parents need to decide if they are feeding their kids appropriate meals and snacks, if they are exercising with them enough, or if they are taking them to the medical professionals they should be in contact with.

• Options

if she's worried about too much candy, how about she give out a healthy alternative to all children? Hand our pencils or mini notebooks or something. Technically speaking NO kid needs candy, but it's part of the fun of halloween and it's not her place to tell parents how to raise their children.

Hoax or not, I definitely agree with this. My favorite houses to go to were the ones that gave out something other than candy. Pencil, notebook, those little maze games that always broke, cheap plastic slinky; those were the houses that I made sure to hit first.
  • Options
    kaos16 said:

I feel better for the children of Fargo knowing that it is likely a hoax!  It is, however, and interesting topic.

I for one, believe that there are many factors that could contribute to the weight of a child (whether they are under or overweight).  I don't think it's a stranger's place to make the determination that a parent needs to ration their child's candy intake, especially without knowing that child's medical background. 

If this letter were true, it would be doing nothing but promoting bullying!

I do, however, believe that obesity is a problem in children or adults when it causes health issues.  It is the responsibility of parents to determine whether they need to do something to monitor their childrens' weight.  The parents need to decide if they are feeding their kids appropriate meals and snacks, if they are exercising with them enough, or if they are taking them to the medical professionals they should be in contact with.

I am of a similar opinion. Do I believe that there is too much body shaming, absolutely. However, I also believe that true obesity is a problem. I feel like parents should promote healthy eating habits in children, but also teach them that not everyone can acheive what society determines as "perfect". I believe its a fine line.

Also, no I am not a parent.

Anniversary
  • Options

It's Halloween. If she doesn't want to pass out candy, she should pass out a healthier alternative, like juice boxes and cracker packets. Nuts. Something!

Also, many parents regulate their children's intake of treats. We always had to divide our candy into two piles and let my dad choose one! My stepmom used to hide my stepsister's candy and only let her have two pieces a day. The horror!

Lastly, kids are walking for the candy. Walking = exercise. Maybe not enough exercise to burn the calories in one candy bar, but at least it's somethin'!

• Options
    ElcaB said:

It's Halloween. If she doesn't want to pass out candy, she should pass out a healthier alternative, like juice boxes and cracker packets. Nuts. Something!

Also, many parents regulate their children's intake of treats. We always had to divide our candy into two piles and let my dad choose one! My stepmom used to hide my stepsister's candy and only let her have two pieces a day. The horror!

Lastly, kids are walking for the candy. Walking = exercise. Maybe not enough exercise to burn the calories in one candy bar, but at least it's somethin'!

this. my daughter gets a piece of candy for every year old she is, so now that she's 5 she can have 5 pieces of candy on halloween. we make her trade in the rest at the dentist for money. her walking around to collect it all is just fun, and the ND lady has no way of knowing how parents handle it on the back end so she should just butt out.

• Options
    If I knew, we'd never go to her house.  I'm not a parent but I am a favorite Auntie. 

I'm like urbaneca, never been skinny, never will.  Doesn't mean I don't try, though.  I was a 22-24 dress size five years ago, I'm down to a 14-16.  Would you know that by looking at me?  Probably not.  Even at my highest weight I wasn't an over eater or a junk eater. Got my hormones controlled and a dog then started counting calories last year.  FI is skinny, can eat what he wants anytime. We even had to have a talk about going out to eat since I can't do that all the time.  We share now. 

She's being presumtious that the parents aren't involved in their kid's eating habits in a positive way.  There are better ways to handle it; give out alternatives for candy.

For Halloween  I have candy but also purchase mini Play Do's to give out to the little ones.  The parents love it.
  • Options
    I have an 11 and 6 yr old.  I monitor what they eat, but that is my concern not others. There is too much pressure on girls to stay "skinny"  whatever that it.......  If this story is true, I agree with others don't give candy to ANY kid. 

It is not the place of a complete stranger to hand out a letter saying the kid is too obese.  If someone handed my child a note "neither of them are overweight", the cops may have to be called because I would spit in their face, and kick their butt.

I am also a school nurse, so I see how much pressure these kids are under to be "perfect".
  • Options
    I was about to say, this sounds a lot like a call my local radio station took from an aunt whose sister was a health freak as of January.  She and her husband have decided to tell their two boys that Halloween is cancelled and take them to a movie to prevent them from going out in search of candy.  The aunt was considering saying something to her sister or just kidnapping the children to take them out for a normal Halloween.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear anyone call in to answer because I had to go to work.
  • Options
    I think she is bat sh--crazy!  If you don't want to eat candy or give it to your kids, fine.  If you don't want to hand out candy, fine.  BUT MYOB when it comes to other people's kids.
    FYI- I like to hand out loose change and hope they give it to charity.
  • Options
    It's horrible.

How does she know they are overweight?  If she is only seeing them on Halloween it could be a bulky costume that makes them look fat.  They live in Fargo.  I bet it's cold there tonight.  There might be a few layers under those costumes that make them look fat.  Even if they are overweight they may have a health issue that makes it difficult to lose weight or be on a medication that has side effects that contribute to weight gain.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Fake or not, I don't agree with it.  I'm not a parent either, but I teach Phys-Ed and always encourage kids to eat healthy and exercise.  But I tell them they need junk in moderation too, otherwise life is no fun.  

I'd also like to point out that I live in Canada (north too), and everyone is obese on Halloween cos they've got a parka under their costume.  This is the first year in dozens that we haven't had snow that stuck yet.  

• Options

I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter and I would be livid if anyone ever commented to her on her size - positive or negative. No one needs to tell a child that they are "bad" for being fat or "good" for being skinny, we are so weight obsessed in America it's insane.

I also hate the undertone that being fat is the worst thing a parent can let happen to their child.  What about caring more that a child is intelligent, empathetic, kind, loving.... there are so many more things in life than weight.

This is so true. I do not have children but I feel what the woman is doing is wrong. It's basically telling someone you're raising your kid wrong >.> that is none of her business what parents allow and do not allow their kids to eat. 

Why does she get to be the judge of what is considered "skinny" & "fat"? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This makes me wonder when society changed its mind on what's beautiful. Because 60+ years ago, fat was beautiful and skinny was ugly. I get that she is (hopefully) more concerned about the health issue, but I just don't understand when we as a society went from one mindset to the other. IMO you should try to be healthy (not too fat but not too skinny either) regardless of what society deems beautiful.
  • Options
    This woman is an idiot. If she wants to make a statement, maybe she should give out apples or granola bars or some other healthy "treat". Or if she's against trick or treating in general, just turn off the light and don't answer the door. If I lived by her and I were 15 years younger, her house would be so TPd it would look like Christmas.

I can understand her concern about the obesity epidemic. It is sad, unhealthy and is a huge reason why health care costs are so astronomically out of control. But her actions aren't a solution. If she's so concerned she should go volunteer for healthy lifestyle groups and campaign for healthy food programs in schools.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    mysticl said:

It's horrible.

How does she know they are overweight?  If she is only seeing them on Halloween it could be a bulky costume that makes them look fat.  They live in Fargo.  I bet it's cold there tonight.  There might be a few layers under those costumes that make them look fat.  Even if they are overweight they may have a health issue that makes it difficult to lose weight or be on a medication that has side effects that contribute to weight gain.  
    It's very common, in cold climates, to have your kids wear their winter gear UNDER the costume. Everybody looks fat.

I guess I'm somewhat in the minority here. While I don't have kids at home, I do have a young niece and lots of friends with little ones. I read something like this and say, "OK, neighborhood crazy lady is at it again," and that's it. If the child saw the letter and read it (doubtful), then it'd be time for a one-on-one chat. No need to flip my lid and call the papers.
  • Options
    I am a parent of 3 children and 1 step between 10 and 5 years old.  I am acutely aware of their health, weight, and diet and don't need some harpie from up the street telling me what to do.  If I'd like your parenting advice, I'll ask for it.  I understand her concern and position, childhood obesity is a problem in this country, but her chosen method to deliver the message is inexcusable.  Halloween is ONE NIGHT, and one night will not make or break a child's eating habits!  

If this happened to my children, I'd be taking them out for their first lesson in 'How to TP a House' and 'Proper Dispersement of Eggs for Maximum Annoyance'.  Take that, Debbie Downer!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    All I can say is that as a canadian who's Halloween costume always had to fit over a snow-suit, I was a pumpkin for like 5 years, then a medival princess for the rest, but for school I got a new costume every year. I want to know if she can tell can tell I'm fat under all those layers!

• Options
    wow, I don't know about anyone else but I got super angry reading that! Yes, I can see from posts it's not real but just the thought of these poor children being judged makes my blood boil. Children are children, they should be left with their innocent minds in tact and not worry about weight issues. Health and weight should be dealt with by the parents at home, who should be aware of their own child's health risks. It should also be dealt with in a way that doesn't make them feel different from other children.

Anyway, that's my frustration out, I do admit to not being a parent and having to first hand experience however.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards