Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Caribbean vs. Hawaii (Late Sept Wedding)

Hey Ladies! TGIF! I have been tossing back and forth between a Caribbean honeymoon (St. Lucia, Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos, Etc) or Hawaii. I originally wanted something all inclusive so we didn't have to worry too much about what we are spending. Now I am second guessing because of hurricane season. Has anyone travelled to these destinations in late Sept or early October and have any pros and cons? Or do you just have a "best vacation ever" location? We are pretty open. We have been on cruises so those are out. We want beach, sun, drinks, food, etc. :) Thanks!!!

Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii (Late Sept Wedding)

• Options
    Here's my .02. We went to Mexico for our honeymoon, and we just got back from a vacation in the South Pacific. In Mexico we had an AI, and there are no AI's in the South Pacific, similar to Hawaii. Even if you spend the exact same amount of money including meals, it's worth the peace of mind not to worry about spending money on food, unless you're a total foodie. Every night in the SP we would have to figure out what our budget was for our meal and it was SO nice in Mexico to not have to have a care in the world what we ordered. It's a really special thing to sit down to eat and not worry about paying. 

Another opinion (again, just my .02, may be an unpopular opinion), is that for a lot of places, if you want a beach resort in the Caribbean, most of them look exactly the same. For what our budget was, we were able to get the NICEST room in the entire resort in Isla Mujeres, Mexico, whereas if we had gone to St Lucia or Costa Rica, we would have spent the same amount for a room among the masses. We did this years ago in Jamaica and was pretty disappointed. And if you want a relaxing beach vacation, I feel like most of them look the same no matter where you are. To us, unless you want to do adventurous stuff specific to the region(which is why we went all the way to the South Pacific), save your money to upgrade to a room somewhere in Mexico at a really nice resort. The other places are GREAT vacations, and I don't mean to speak bad about them, I just feel like it's not worth paying the upcharge when there are so many great places in Mexico, and the resort towns are 100% perfectly safe.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have so much fun, and SCOUR Trip Advisor! That website is truly the best for planning a vacation and asking specific questions about a resort.
  • Options
    We are getting married Sep 20th, so I'm right there with you. We spoke with a travel agent about going to Montego Bay, Jamaica. She said that it was the best time to go to the Caribbean price wise. It's the down season, so they lower prices to get people in. Down Side: That is the start of the rainy/ hurricane season.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards