New York-Hudson Valley

Photography for just 2-3 hours for a small wedding?

Hi everyone,

We are having a small wedding in the Hudson Valley and I am really having trouble finding a photographer for this smaller event.  We aren't interested in an 8 to 10 hour package and would really love just someone to come photograph us during the ceremony, a few family shots, and a bit of the reception but from what I have seen, this isn't really an option.  (I can also understand the fact that they wouldn't want to waste a Saturday booking a couple hour event versus a full day one)

Am I going to have to book an 8 hour package anyway?  It seems crazy to spend several thousand dollars when we only want someone a couple hours.  I don't know what to do.  Any thoughts or ideas?  If anyone knows a photographer who offers different packages, please let me know!

Re: Photography for just 2-3 hours for a small wedding?

• I'm using Alicia King Photography - we did book a full day package, but she may have some options of doing just a few hours.  She's on facebook.    For the full day, 2 photographers and just the disc with all the photos (no prints) she charges $1600, which I found to be reasonable compared to many of the photographers I looked at. 

• Thank you!  I sent her an inquiry.  You are right, that is a great price!
  • Thank you!  I sent her an inquiry.  You are right, that is a great price!

Looking at her pictures online, i love them.  I've met with her - very responsive, eager, young girl.  She was working with another photographer doing weddings, and i think just starting out in the wedding business on her own.  
  • She was very nice and definitely would have accommodated us, but already booked for our date! (9/20/14)  :(  I really liked her pics, too.  I am sure she will do a fabulous job for you!

Any other suggestions anyone?
  • Ah too bad!

Jess Bennett Photography is another I know of.  She doesn't do many wedding - only very small/intimate local weddings, so she may be able to do what you are looking for.  She quoted me on an hourly basis, but my wedding was a little too big for her comfort level (i'm having about 75).  I'll see if I can think of any others.   

• @jenni1221 - emailed her too, so will let you know!  I also found another (fingers crossed) so when I book someone, I will post about it for others for future reference.  As one photographer explained to me, it is prime wedding time that time of year here and understandably, no one will choose my 3 hour event when they can do an 8 hour one!

Thanks again for the suggestions!  I feel hopeful now, lol!
  • Good luck, hope you find someone soon!
  • JC Lemon -- he's in NYC but focuses on elopements so he may be a good choice. I haven't run into any photographer that wasn't willing to travel from NYC to Hudson Valley, so hopefully this wouldn't be a problem for him, either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards