Chit Chat

Co-worker wants to ban smelly foods.

I just got an earful from a co-worker complaining that another co-worker was eating garlic knots at her desk. Who in the world (or at least NY) doesn't like garlic knots?! She said she's going to the owner to see if we can ban garlic-y foods and eggs too. I can't. This from a woman that eats smelly tuna fish sandwiches twice a week. 

It it Friday yet? 

Re: Co-worker wants to ban smelly foods.

• LOL tell her if she does, you'll go and get tuna fish banned too since it reaks.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • People are dumb.

So if she gets garlic-y foods banned, then Chinese food, any type of seafood, curry, overcooked popcorn, broccoli and/or brussel sprouts, burnt coffee, etc should also be banned.

Hell, why not just ban eating completely in the office.  That would solve everything.
    Seriously! What's next? This woman is such a major control freak. Thankfully the owner takes her suggestions with a grain of salt. 
  • Why doesn't she like garlic, is she a vampire? *rolls eyes* The people I work with reheat whatever they have lying around all the time.  You just put on your big girl pants and deal with it.
  • There was one time I brought in a salad that had onions on it. She was so mad, that she put a giant letter on the front of the fridge saying that smelly foods weren't allowed. So I guess she doesn't like onions either. 

Totally packing onions for my lunch tomorrow. 
  • Ok, I now consider her a biotch.  You wonder how she has made it through life thus far so much "smelly" foods around.

• She sounds BSC! I luckily don't have to deal with this as in my office there's me, my boss and one other girl who works a few days during the week. But our office is upstairs from a hair salon and all you can smell throughout the day is some of the products they use. It sucks.
    Oh wow. That has to be such strong smells to put up with all day! 
  • I used to work in an office where smelly foods were banned. Seriously. There was even a policy about it (talk about too much time on your hands...). Things that were banned:

- fish
    - curry
    - burned popcorn (yea... I know how stupid this one is)
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

I don't work there anymore because their priorities and time allocation were all kinds of lopsided.... this is only one example. 
    *********************************************************************************

• She sounds BSC! I luckily don't have to deal with this as in my office there's me, my boss and one other girl who works a few days during the week. But our office is upstairs from a hair salon and all you can smell throughout the day is some of the products they use. It sucks.
    Oh wow. That has to be such strong smells to put up with all day! 
    What's even worse is the fact that the main door to go through to get to our office is right by the main door into the salon. So even coming and going, you smell it.

I studied Cosmetology in high school and I hated the smells then. Still hate the smell of a new perm. Yuck!
    Ugh. My mom got perms (at our home) in the 80s. The smell was horrific. My dad would have to take us out for the day. 
  • People in my office do microwave some smelly stuff.  But that's part of being at work.  I get even every now and then with tuna.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only time I ever said anything was when a co-worker was too cheap to contribute to the coffee group and brought in his own pot and brewed it at his desk.  I get horrible migraines with strong flavored coffee smells.  I politely asked that it be brewed in the kitchen instead of his desk.  He kept doing it until one day a manager from another department went to my boss and complained.  He didn't talk to me for months after that, oh well.

I love onions and garlic!
  • I can understand some foods, but really to dictate what someone can have for lunch is crossing lines. I have a tiny office, 3 desks, and a coworker always comes in an hour before his shift to eat. Always has the stickiest foods! It's a lot of Hawaiian foods that can taste great, but smell gross. A fishy/seaweed/kaiwi wood smell. But I like to eat tuna fish sandwiches now and again so I can't complain.
  • I used to work in an office where smelly foods were banned. Seriously. There was even a policy about it (talk about too much time on your hands...). Things that were banned:

- fish
    - curry
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

I don't work there anymore because their priorities and time allocation were all kinds of lopsided.... this is only one example. 
    I could not work where I was not allowed to eat saurkraut and broccoli.  I don't eat a lot of saurkraut, but I eat broccoli multiple times a week, both cooked and raw.  This would bug the shit out of me.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Can someone please explain what garlic knots are?

I love onions and garlic. If it tastes good, I'm bringing it to work, no matter what it smells like. My cauliflower salad may smell like feet, but it tastes divine and it's fucking healthy. Anyone who doesn't like it can suck it.

• Oh man, that looks so good. You are killing me with my no carbs, eating healthy thing.
  • I also did not know what "garlic knots" were, so I googled them, and now my healthy dinner of a salad, veggies, and a sandwich is no longer appealing. DAMN YOU, @ClimbingBrideNY for ruining my pre-holiday diet plan! :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • There was a lady I worked with who complained like crazy when someone would heat up fish.  She even walked into the kitchen and sprayed lysol all over the room, while people were sitting and eating lunch mind you, to get rid of the smell.  The person who heated the fish up that day, ate in their office, so they didn't even know that crazy lady went on the lysol binge.  But she got called into HR because she had sprayed so much lysol, it landed in people's food!

If crazy lady ever posts another note about smelly foods.  I would take it, write in block letters - Then Don't Eat Tuna Fish! and place it on her desk while she wasn't there. . .

Oh, and I love garlic knots too!

• Forewarned: I'm in a really bad mood because of work today.

My new favorite sandwich would be open-faced herring just to piss her off.

- fish
    - curry
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

I had no idea broccoli smelled bad, or strong.  I just think of fish when I think of strong smells

• I also did not know what "garlic knots" were, so I googled them, and now my healthy dinner of a salad, veggies, and a sandwich is no longer appealing. DAMN YOU, @ClimbingBrideNY for ruining my pre-holiday diet plan! :)

Sorry! :P
    No apology necessary. I live in Central PA, so garlic knots are probably not an option for me anyway. But I may be stopping for jalapeno poppers now! 

Thanks, though, for alerting me to the deliciousness that these appear to be so I will know to try them next time I go to NY!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Man- she is super passive aggressive. I would directly approach her about the tuna. Passive aggressive people hate confrontation. We have no hard food rules, but people are also polite. The girl who likes hard boiled eggs and the guy who likes tuna both eat in the kitchen opposed to at their desks. 
    No apology necessary. I live in Central PA, so garlic knots are probably not an option for me anyway. But I may be stopping for jalapeno poppers now! 

Thanks, though, for alerting me to the deliciousness that these appear to be so I will know to try them next time I go to NY!!
    Yes, definitely try them next time you are in NY! You will love them. 

- fish
    - curry
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

I had no idea broccoli smelled bad, or strong.  I just think of fish when I think of strong smells
    It is pretty pungent.  When I used to work down on a military base in a large trailer there was this one woman who would bring in one of those "steam in the bag" of broccoli and she would cook it in the microwave.  She would eat this every day.  And let me tell you, cooking broccoli in a small area made the whole place smell for a good hour.

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    One of my coworkers brought in some seriously strong smelling kimchi one time. The entire office made him go eat outside. Normally no one really cares but it was really unbearable and a unanimous vote. He even admitted how badly it smelled!

We have no food bans but I have banned one thing...

People clipping their fingernails at their desk! A lot of my coworkers and I are grossed out by this. Not to mention how annoying the repetitive clipping noise can be.

- fish
    - curry
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

Oh my goodness. And I thought surely that sort of policy was just a Dilbert joke.
    I have worked in a fragrance-free office before, but that was because of migraine triggers (Lotion, perfume). I occasionally got complaints about my shampoo, but food was A-OK.
  • Everytime someone burns popcorn in the microwave, everyone starts up with the banning popcorn. I am okay with this since the only popcorn I like is the kind that comes in a bag with the white cheddar flavoring. No heating required.

- fish
    - curry
    - sauerkraut
    - broccoli

It is pretty pungent.  When I used to work down on a military base in a large trailer there was this one woman who would bring in one of those "steam in the bag" of broccoli and she would cook it in the microwave.  She would eat this every day.  And let me tell you, cooking broccoli in a small area made the whole place smell for a good hour.

Broccoli smells horrible. So does ham and eggs. Especially if you're PMSing or pregnant! (Or is that just me?)
  • aefitz29 said:

People clipping their fingernails at their desk! A lot of my coworkers and I are grossed out by this. Not to mention how annoying the repetitive clipping noise can be.

WHAT IS THIS? I had no idea this was even a thing until my first internship, and even then I thought it was just those individuals. Then I worked at another office where people did that. Then another office! At what point does someone wake up in the morning and think "I should take these nail clippers out of the bathroom and move them to my desk so I can clip my nails there, instead". My husband's coworkers do this too. Now, whenever we see each other clipping our nails (at home!), we'll say "Don't you want to wait until you get to work tomorrow to do that?"
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards