Wedding Reception Forum

Empty space

I am from Bronx NY. I am a bride on a serious budget. I have been searching for an empty space for my wedding reception at a reasonable price ($1000).One that I can add my own touch and food. However, this is proving to be difficult or am I just not looking hard enough? Helpppppp!!!!!!

Re: Empty space

• I live nowhere near NY, but I do know that an empty space will often not be cheap once you factor in the cost to decorate and also rent all the things you need to fill the space. I would consider private rooms at restaurants, if I was you, esp. if your guest list is small (< 80-100). Then, everything is included AND the space will already look nice-ish. Sometimes they will let you have music, dancing, cake table, etc.

• An empty space will not be cheaper then renting out a hall that already has most of the necessities included.  You can easily put your own personal touches on something that already has chairs and tables and linens and a constructed bar and staff, etc.

• Agreed with pps- by the time you rent all of the things you'd need and pay for decorations, you probably won't have saved money.  It's one of the biggest reasons we're not getting married at a local brewery.  They have a fantastic party space but by the time I'd rent chairs, tables, linens, a dance floor and brought in decorations (even a few votive candles here and there add up), I was at my budget and hadn't even called a single caterer yet.

I suggest posting this on your local board, maybe there are brides local to you that have had success with this, but my best advice is to look into other options.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Post this to your local board for better luck. 

I'm not familiar with NYC, but are there community centers, VFW halls, or conference centers? Do you know anyone who lives in an apartment complex with community space that could be rented? This might sound odd, but depending on the size of your event, could you rent an empty studio apartment for a day/week and host it there? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Post this to your local board for better luck. 

I'm not familiar with NYC, but are there community centers, VFW halls, or conference centers? Do you know anyone who lives in an apartment complex with community space that could be rented? This might sound odd, but depending on the size of your event, could you rent an empty studio apartment for a day/week and host it there? 
    There are some community centers and some club rooms.  But NYC laws do not permit people to sublet apartments for this purpose.  In fact, things like Airbnb where residents sublet their apartments to people for short periods of time are illegal in NYC.
  • Jen4948 said:

Post this to your local board for better luck. 

There are some community centers and some club rooms.  But NYC laws do not permit people to sublet apartments for this purpose.  In fact, things like Airbnb where residents sublet their apartments to people for short periods of time are illegal in NYC.

Ok, but there have to be vacation properties that rent by the day or week, right? Not sure how well that'd mesh with your budget, OP, but we did look at renting a huge cabin for ours. My cousin rented a mansion for hers. We ended up with a barn-type space that is designed for events and lets us do our own food/drinks, but came with table and chair rentals. But we don't live in New York! The problem is that such empty spaces as you describe are very tough to find, and there are often liability issues you need to factor in.
  • edited November 2013
    Jen4948 said:

Gotcha. I didn't mean sublet, but like if a landlord has an empty unit (not rented) and was willing to rent it out for a week. If it's a small gathering, it might work. Also @kitty8403 has a good point about seeking out vacation properties (if it's small). If OP is up front about what she's planning, she's not breaking any laws and the person renting it is cool with it, it could work. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Jen4948 said:

Gotcha. I didn't mean sublet, but like if a landlord has an empty unit (not rented) and was willing to rent it out for a week. If it's a small gathering, it might work. Also @kitty8403 has a good point about seeking out vacation properties (if it's small). If OP is up front about what she's planning, she's not breaking any laws and the person renting it is cool with it, it could work. 
    Thing is, there really aren't those kinds of "vacation properties" in NYC.  And the rental laws here are pretty strict.  You pretty much have to go outside the city for what the OP is trying to do.
  • Loveeeee that idea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards