Wedding Reception Forum

Courtesy Basket in bathroom - yes or no?

The thought didn't cross my mind until the coordinator at my venue asked if we are doing them.   Are they necessary?  I think it would be simple enough to put together and I'm sure I could use coupons over the next few months to buy some travel size products to put it in, but will anyone even use the stuff in them...what are your thoughts on having them or not?  

Re: Courtesy Basket in bathroom - yes or no?

• No they are not necessary.  I would put this as one of the last things on your to do list.  If you get to it great, if not, then it isn't the end of the world.

Honestly, when I go to weddings I bring the items I think I will need with me.  I have never once needed deodorant or toothpaste or mouthwash or tampons (I always keep a few in my purse).  I mean it isn't like guests are on a 2 day wedding adventure, they will be at your venue for maybe 5 hours.  What could they possibly need that they wouldn't already have on them?

• I've never seen this done, and we've been to a lot of weddings! I think it's a great idea though. Kind of like welcome baskets or favors I guess--nice touch, but not necessary.
  • pretty much every venue here supplies them.

i think they're nice to have. i've used a safety pin more than once and take a mint to suck on.

• Totally not necessary.

However, we had one and got a ton of compliments on it. We put in stuff like a lint roller, a tide pen, bobby pins, hairspray, mints, gum, one time use flossing stick things, tampons and pads. It was totally not necessary, but we did it anyway.
    *********************************************************************************

• If I do decided to do one - okay to have on just in the female bathrom and not the male?  I can see women possibly using it, but definitely don't see any men requiring anything in it.   There are very few single's coming to our wedding...so it's not like a guy is going to need a spritz of cologne or mint to try to pick a girl up lol :)

Maggie0829  advice and put it last on the list.  If I have time i'll put something together. 

• They are completely optional. 

I typically have what I'll need right in my purse as well and have never been at an event where I wished I had access to some deodorant/ toothpaste so I didn't include those things in the ones I made for my first wedding.  Mine had Tums, Tylenol, a mini sewing kit, a lint roller, some Band-Aids, and a cologne/ perfume sample and the ladies room version had a few tampons.  I might have tossed in some safety pins/ bobby pins and hairspray as well.  They were definitely last on my list and as I gathered trial sizes of things to bring on our honeymoon, I tossed stuff into baskets I already had.  I'm doing them again for the second wedding- they were a hit but everyone's mileage is different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did and I noticed a lot of the items were used.  We really hit the dollar store hard and got some great stuff (Hairspray, clear nail polish, breath mints, hand lotion, and on and on).  I found a really pretty box on sale at Michaels.
  • I don't think they are necessary and unless you will have venue all to your event, then you are making things nice for other parties. In my area it isn't uncommon for a large reception venue to host multiple events in one night in different rooms but all events share the same bathrooms.
  • I think they are a fantastic idea! I was actually at a wedding a couple of years ago and had got pepper stuck in my teeth, my fiance tried to retrieve it with cardboard from a match book, which also got stuck in my teeth.  I went to the bathroom to try and get all this crap out of my teeth before i had to do family pictures and thank goodness there was floss in the bathroom basket!! There are many things you could throw in that most women are not carrying with them, like floss. bandaids, nail polish for panty hose runs, hairspray, body spray, mouth wash or an emergency sewing kit.
  • I hadn't even thought of this until I saw this board and now I really want to have one! I think this is a great idea! 
  • I decided to do them, but I'm ahead of schedule on planning and I figured whatever isn't used I can throw together for an emergency kit in my car.
  • jenni1221 said:
    The thought didn't cross my mind until the coordinator at my venue asked if we are doing them.   Are they necessary?  I think it would be simple enough to put together and I'm sure I could use coupons over the next few months to buy some travel size products to put it in, but will anyone even use the stuff in them...what are your thoughts on having them or not?  
    I did one.  Easy, cheap.  Guests really seem to love them (just one of those things that lets them know you were considering them).  But, generally if they are not there, they are not missed.
    BigLots, Dollar Store and those little travel items from hotel stays (sewing kits, lotion, mouthwash) are either free or less than a dollar.  

I would suggest aspirin (or equivalent), anti-acid, bandaids, mints are "musts" if you have a courtesy basket/tray, but generally anything from a typical beauty emergency kit is appreciated. 

Bonus-they can double as wedding party emergency kits.  I have a list of what I included here (if you are interested)
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, not necessary at all.  But, if I was a guest and went to a wedding that had one in the bathroom, I would be pleasantly surprised. 
  • wabanzi said:
    jenni1221 said:
    I did one.  Easy, cheap.  Guests really seem to love them (just one of those things that lets them know you were considering them).  But, generally if they are not there, they are not missed.
    BigLots, Dollar Store and those little travel items from hotel stays (sewing kits, lotion, mouthwash) are either free or less than a dollar.  

I would suggest aspirin (or equivalent), anti-acid, bandaids, mints are "musts" if you have a courtesy basket/tray, but generally anything from a typical beauty emergency kit is appreciated. 

Bonus-they can double as wedding party emergency kits.  I have a list of what I included here (if you are interested)

very cute!
  • jenni1221, Thank you! That helps a lot! :)
  • indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    not necessary, HOWEVER, my guests loved it. Things were definitely used throughout the evening and were appreciated. I received compliments telling me that they liked the added touch.

I made a cute basket with a sign that matched my table numbers that said "courtesy of bride and groom"
  • jenni1221 said:

If I do decided to do one - okay to have on just in the female bathrom and not the male?  I can see women possibly using it, but definitely don't see any men requiring anything in it.   There are very few single's coming to our wedding...so it's not like a guy is going to need a spritz of cologne or mint to try to pick a girl up lol :)

Maggie0829  advice and put it last on the list.  If I have time i'll put something together. 

I put one in our guys restroom and one of the guys stole it! LOL. So I guess the stuff was needed
  •  

I put one in our guys restroom and one of the guys stole it! LOL. So I guess the stuff was needed
    LOL!
  • A agree with PP, not really needed but is still a cute idea. If you plan ahead, you can get a lot of the  items for almost free through couponing. I like websites http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ and http://ilovetogossip.com/ to help me find great deals using coupons. 

Here are a couple of photos I plan to use as inspiration for my baskets. The ladies' basket will have more items and the men's will include the basic items like stain removal, safety pins, etc. 

• @retro_belle24 I currently use couponmom.com for couponing...i'll check out those other sites too, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards