May 2014 Weddings

NWR: I had to put my dog down today :(

Totally not related to anything else here, but I wanted to share because I don't really know how to cope... My lovely little Jack Russell was almost 18, and we had to put her down today. She had severe canine dementia, she had a lot of back pain, probably had cancer, and she really hadn't been herself for the last few years (save for little spurts here and there). I managed to distract myself at work for most of the day but went home early because I didn't know how to deal. I think about it briefly, but haven't been able to allow myself to really process it, and I haven't let myself cry yet, either. It's just so weird to think that she's gone because I've spent more of my life with her than without.

Re: NWR: I had to put my dog down today :(

• I'm sorry about your fur baby :( My little girl is 10 and we've had her 6 years. She will be staying here when I move out. It already breaks my heart to think about coming home and her not being there. Can't imagine what you're going thru. Grab a box of tissues, some ice cream or wine and let it all out. Sending hugs your way!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear. Fur babies are family. Remember the good times. And I agree... Grab a bottle of wine and some ice cream or chocolate and let it all out.
  • I'm so sorry :( Sending more hugs your way.  It is tough to loose a pet, especially one that has been a part of your life for so long.
    Anniversary
  • I'm so sorry about your dog. I love my dog just like she's family and I will be a mess when that time comes. Definitely take some time to grieve and cry if you think it will make you feel better.
  • Thanks girls! I still haven't been able to cry (I think I haven't processed it yet), but I did crack open a bottle of wine last night and just zone out. I know it will hit me, I just don't know when.

• @pumpkinsandturkeys I do have a Jack Russell.  He came with FI - he's my step-dog. I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl.  It's such a hard loss, especially losing a friend that's been in your life longer than she hasn't been.  PP said think about the good times and I think that's a really good suggestion.  It will hit you eventually, probably when you least expect it, but it's obvious that you loved her and gave her a good life - she knew that and she loved you too.  I'm thinking of you!  Hugs!
  • More hugs to you from me as well!  It's never easy loosing a loved one, nonetheless a beloved pet.  FI and I got our puppy in Feb so I can't even imagine how we will be years and years down the road if/when we get to that tough decision that you recently had to make.  My parents' dog (my "old dog") is getting up in years and having lots of problems with his legs, so I know that we will face to face some sadness eventually too.  I agree with PPs to just always remember the good times you shared.....maybe it might be a nice time to put together a scrapbook/photo book as a way to always remember her and still share her life with your family.
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm so sorry. 18 amazing years, but it never feels like enough time. It's never easy to make these decisions, but you know when it is time. It's a gift to be able to ease suffering for our pets - take comfort in remembering the times shared.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards