Chit Chat
Options

Xmas Gift Help...any cigar knowledge out there?

For Christmas I want to get my fiancé some nice cigars.  Anyone out there have any tip/suggestions. I know absolutely zero about cigars! He likes to have one every once in a while with my dad and my stepbrothers so I wanted to get him some nice ones.

Re: Xmas Gift Help...any cigar knowledge out there?

• Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013

My FI smokes them.  His favorites are the Romeo and Julietta's from the Dominican Republic, they are "medium" something or other.

Do you know what he smokes when he does smoke them?  WOuld your Dad know?

Generally speaking the Dominican Republic cigars are considered the "best".  Their growing climate is very similar to Cuba and a lot of the Cuban growers have taken their seeds and escaped to the DR. Cubans are mostly popular in the US because people can't get them legally.

ETA:  If you don't have a humidor you may want to get an inexpensive one if you are going to get him more than 1-2 cigars.  They will dry out and go bad if they aren't kept properly.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    @April H81 thank you! I will l check with my Dad as well I think he usually gives my fiancé one when they are together. What's a humidor?
  • Options
    Not a cigar smoker either, but from the guys on the golf course, I would second the Romeo and Julietta.

Humidors are for storing cigars.  It is usually a box though can be more elaborate but it's purpose is to maintain the humidity level, as PP said, so the cigars doesn't dry out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! Maybe I will look into one of those as well. Thanks ladies! There's a tobacco shop near my work I just didnt want to walk in there completely clueless.
  • Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013

I bought my FI an inexpensive humidor on Overstock for his birthday last year.  I think it was about $40 and will hold about 10-12 cigars I think.  The one I bought him needed to have the glass insert sealed (clear silicone caulk you can get anywhere) to keep the humidity levels stable, but it is very easy to do it yourself.  If you go this route I would upgrade to a digitial humidity level checker thingy...  (Kind of like a thermostat) It will be easier to read than the analog one. You also want one with a glass top so you can see the humidity level without opening the lid.

I think a basic humidor with a few cigars would be a great gift.  I would also recommend getting a butane lighter, because FI has informed me that you should NEVER use a BIC type lighter because it will alter the taste of the tobacco. 

And I think that this has exhausted my knowledge of cigars, but I'm kinda surprised I've learned this much from him when I think cigars are nasty.  lol

• Options
    Thanks! I was wondering if ordering one from somewhere like Overstock would be OK or not.
  • Options
    Thanks! I was wondering if ordering one from somewhere like Overstock would be OK or not.

Check the reviews and you should be fine.

I also googled "what to look for when buying a humidor" to get a basic understanding of how they work.  You can also try to find a local cigar shop to go in, they are usually pretty friendly folks who will help you find what you need.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards