Wedding Invitations & Paper

ban wedding talk on facebook?

2»

Re: ban wedding talk on facebook?

• I don't understand what's so wrong about posting about your wedding on Facebook. Isn't the point of social media to post about what's going on in your life? And I'd imagine that if you're getting married, it's a pretty big part of what's going on in your life, right? 

Posting it on Facebook doesn't make it open invitation. You should post about whatever you want to post about, and if people get upset that they're not invited, they can just get over it. 
  • I understand where your sister is coming from, but I also completely understand why you want to share stuff on Facebook! Personally, I did the same thing as you; posting "wedding related" statuses and pictures of my engagement ring.  It is, after all, the most exciting time for me, and I want to share it! Considering what everyone posts on Facebook these days, I don't see it as a problem.  However, you just need to be sure that you are willing to politely inform people that they are not invited when they ask; which is incredibly rude in itself!  As for when people ask for more details, just say that you are keeping it a secret!
    I don't get this logic.  Of course we all know people who over-share on FB, or are obnoxious, or who have no concept of personal privacy.  Why does that mean you should join them?  

I wasn't saying that she needs to join them, or that she shouldn't! Just that, considering what I've seen posted on Facebook lately, its not like posting about your wedding would be the biggest "no-no" ever seen on Facebook! I was only trying to explain both sides of the argument, is all.

• scbeard3 said:
    I don't understand what's so wrong about posting about your wedding on Facebook. Isn't the point of social media to post about what's going on in your life? And I'd imagine that if you're getting married, it's a pretty big part of what's going on in your life, right? 

Posting it on Facebook doesn't make it open invitation. You should post about whatever you want to post about, and if people get upset that they're not invited, they can just get over it. 
    If you are only friends with those closest to you on Facebook, then there is no issue.  But posting on your Facebook page things about your wedding when you're friends with many people who you have no intention of inviting to your wedding is just like having a conversation with a group of people about your wedding when you're only inviting one or two of them.  It's very rude to talk about an event in front of people who aren't invited to it.  The fact that the "talking" is happening over social media doesn't magically make that rule disappear.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I think there is no reason to ban your wedding talk on social media. Social media is there for you to talk about these kind of things. I mean yeah its annoying if that is ALL you post about, but if you were a steady contributor to the news feed before becoming engaged, why not continue and include a few about the most important event in your life? And as far as the people messaging you asking if they are invited, I would either ignore them or be blunt about it. My fiancé and I were bombarded with people asking if they were invited to our wedding only a few days after being engaged, and that wasn't even from Facebook, that was from seeing people in person. We had a couple ask if they were invited, and we weren't good friends with them, it was more like we just share a mutual friend and my fiancé set them straight right away that we weren't invited to their wedding and they would probably not be invited to ours due to budget constraints. I think when I first got engaged I had more trouble saying no when people would ask or even offer advice for wedding vendors/decorations/whatever but I'm only 4 months away and right now I don't even care, its our day and we will do what we need to do.
  • I posted a picture of my ring but after that, I created a secret board on facebook, for all my bridemaids, (all live in different states) I made it secret so anyone that I didn't add could join or see any of the post I make. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards