Chit Chat
Options

Unpopular Opinions!

Wedding related or not! I'm cranky this morning, so here goes... 

1) I want to punch brides when they specifically wear white to showers/rehearsals so 'everyone knows' they're the bride. Get the fuck out, they already know. 
2) I think sweetheart tables come off as anti-social. They just rub me the wrong way. 

Aaaannndddd your turn!

Re: Unpopular Opinions!

• Options

1. I think Christmas would feel more special if it hadn't turned into a 2 month long holiday. Maybe if the "season" started around 12/15 and ended at new years, I'd like it better.

2. I think everyone should put 20% down on a house. Just because you're "preapproved" for a higher amount doesn't mean you should go out and buy a house for that price.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like birthday or holiday proposals. I feel like someone gets screwed out of a gift, and it takes away from a different celebration.
  • Options
    CallaLily25CallaLily25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    It bothers me when couples rush to get married right away to avoid a long engagement when they aren't financially stable. I feel like in some situations, it might be smarter to have a longer engagement so that you start your marriage off as financially stable and responsible as possible.

ETA: I hate peanut butter, which I know is probably a very unpopular opinion! haha

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

1) I want to punch brides when they specifically wear white to showers/rehearsals so 'everyone knows' they're the bride. Get the fuck out, they already know. 
    2) I think sweetheart tables come off as anti-social. They just rub me the wrong way. 

Aaaannndddd your turn!
    I hate head tables. I hate sitting up on a stage staring at everyone while I eat. And I'd rather sit with people I know and my date. I can honestly count on one hand how many weddings I've been to that the SOs have been seated at the head table. On the other hand I love sweetheart tables - solves all the things I hate about head tables =oD

Candy corn - I Hate it with a firery passion that rival the fires of Hell.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I really hate it when people in their 20s complain about how old they are. STFU. 

I agree on sweetheart tables. Not a fan. 

I also think diet soda is really gross and I don't understand why people would want to put those chemicals into their bodies. 
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:

1. I think Christmas would feel more special if it hadn't turned into a 2 month long holiday. Maybe if the "season" started around 12/15 and ended at new years, I'd like it better.

2. I think everyone should put 20% down on a house. Just because you're "preapproved" for a higher amount doesn't mean you should go out and buy a house for that price.

------------------------------------

Yeah that 20% is sometimes just not possible.  H and I bought a house that we can 100% afford but to be able to put down 20% then we would have had to come up with almost $50K.  To save up that much money would have taken us years and years and years.  I mean the amount we put down had taken us almost 10 years to save.  So in your mind since we couldn't put down $50K for a house that we can easily afford each month then we should have either continued to rent or buy a $60K house which just literally doesn't exist in our area? My unpopular opinions... I hate cheesecake with a passion 

I dislike Kanye West. I do not think he is a genius or a musical oddity. I think his music sucks balls.

• Options

I totally agree. I find it annoying, too. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Our area is overloaded with short sales and foreclosures where the owners put down 5% or less. I think there would be a lot less of that going on if people settled for smaller houses and put down bigger downpayments, so that when life's unforeseen circumstances happen, making your mortgage payment isn't as difficult.

When we bought our house, we knew we had x dollars to put towards a downpayment, so we looked for houses where X was 20% of the selling price. Our bank pre-approved us for triple that price. I think that has a lot to do with the current housing market.

my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    20% of the cheapest single family home in my town is $90,000. 

Thankfully FI and I already own a home. 
  • Options
      My unpopular opinions... I hate cheesecake with a passion 
    (stuck in the box...) I don't hate cheesecake, but I don't understand why suddenly so many people announce that they "hate" regular cake and "everyone" likes cheesecake. I also don't get the big deal with the cheesecake factory - it tastes exactly like every other slice of cheesecake I've ever had.
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:

Our area is overloaded with short sales and foreclosures where the owners put down 5% or less. I think there would be a lot less of that going on if people settled for smaller houses and put down bigger downpayments, so that when life's unforeseen circumstances happen, making your mortgage payment isn't as difficult.

When we bought our house, we knew we had x dollars to put towards a downpayment, so we looked for houses where X was 20% of the selling price. Our bank pre-approved us for triple that price. I think that has a lot to do with the current housing market.

We chose not to do 20% for exactly that reason. We would rather have more in our savings vs. paying a little less each month.
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:
    (stuck in the box...) I don't hate cheesecake, but I don't understand why suddenly so many people announce that they "hate" regular cake and "everyone" likes cheesecake. I also don't get the big deal with the cheesecake factory - it tastes exactly like every other slice of cheesecake I've ever had.
    People hate regular cake?  That is so sad.

• Options
    krizzo17 said:
    People hate regular cake?  That is so sad.

I know! And really, if you have the time and energy to list "regular cake" as something you dislike...well, I don't even know
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well we had been renting at a certain price point for two years.  We knew that that price point was comfortable for us and we knew how much we were willing to put down so we found a house that hit our monthly price point (with escrow) when we put X amount down.  We knew that 20% of the house that we bought was just never going to happen due to such high housing prices in our area.

• Options
    vk2204 said:
    krizzo17 said:

We chose not to do 20% for exactly that reason. We would rather have more in our savings vs. paying a little less each month.

...but now, don't you have a higher mortgage payment PLUS PMI? Even with the original difference in your savings account, I don't understand how that puts you ahead than paying more upfront and having a lower monthly payment.
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:
    vk2204 said:
    krizzo17 said:

...but now, don't you have a higher mortgage payment PLUS PMI? Even with the original difference in your savings account, I don't understand how that puts you ahead than paying more upfront and having a lower monthly payment.
    We have to pay PMI but the amount we have to pay in that for the next 5 years does not even come close to the $50K we would have had to put down.  20% for some people just isn't possible depending on your area and house prices.

We could have put down $20K but that would have wiped us out plus we still would have had to pay PMI.

• Options
    @krizzo17 I used to work at a mortgage company and while I was only a clerical, I can tell you that none of the borrowers we had come in ever put down 20%. It's not possible to do so and still have money to pay everything else in certain areas. This is also the same for the renting market as well.

My BF and I had looked into renting an apartment before buying a place. But why rent some 500 square foot apartment with 1 bedroom for $1000/month with no utilities included when you can pay the same amount on your mortgage, condo fees, insurance and such for a 1060 square foot two bedroom condo?

Ok, I've never lived anywhere where renting and a mortgage payment for a house twice the size with 5% down work out to be the same. My house is about twice the size of my last apartment, but even with putting 20% down the mortgage is still double what I paid in rent. I've always lived in high-tax areas, though, so maybe that makes a difference? 
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I put NOTHING down on my house. I stayed signifigantly under what I was approved for so I could comfortably afford it. People are often approved for loans way higher than they can afford but if you are smart about it and only shop in the range you can see yourself realisticallay paying you ahould be alright. I don't think the lender should have approved me with a fresh degree and 6 months full time work history but whatever.

ETA: It was only two years ago so lender should have been more cautious I would think considering the sate of out economy. Maybe I should have been too but I was, and still and confident in my purchase

I'm generally not a fan of snarkiness. I don't see why things must be so direct. It often comes off a bit mean.
  • Options
    Anyway, my UO

1. The holidays go Halloween, Thanksgiving then Christmas. None of this BS of Christmas shit up in stores before Halloween. It makes me hate the holiday more when you get bombarded with it as soon as you walk into a store.
    2. Contrary to what my BF's mother thinks, I think 115 for a 5'3" woman is a healthy weight.
    ...The ridiculousness of #2 should be evident in the fact that I can't figure out if she thinks you're overweight or underweight. It sounds like you're on the thin side for a woman of that height, but until you see someone in person you have no idea what that even looks like! This is why I hate people who judge health by weight alone (not to mention it isn't any of her business!)
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:
    vk2204 said:
    krizzo17 said:

We have to pay PMI but the amount we have to pay in that for the next 5 years does not even come close to the $50K we would have had to put down.  20% for some people just isn't possible depending on your area and house prices.

We could have put down $20K but that would have wiped us out plus we still would have had to pay PMI.

Just pretend I said this too :)
  • Options
    We put down about 15% on our house - and spent (including the mortgage) about 1/3 of what we were approved to borrow. 

Wedding related - I actually kind of like the slide shows that people do (if they aren't too long) with pictures of them growing up.  I don't know if we'll have one, but every time I've seen one it's been about 5 minutes long and I thought it was sweet.

Not wedding related - I hate the movie Love Actually.  Probably because my dad came into the basement when I was watching it in high school during one of the... film viewing scenes.  And he stayed with me for the rest of it because he was worried.

I don't like pumpkin anything.  I can't eat/drink it.  Not sure why... but I'm sure I'm saving a lot of $ and calories not going for the pumpkin spice lattes all fall, haha.
  • Options
    ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Anyway, my UO

1. The holidays go Halloween, Thanksgiving then Christmas. None of this BS of Christmas shit up in stores before Halloween. It makes me hate the holiday more when you get bombarded with it as soon as you walk into a store.
    2. Contrary to what my BF's mother thinks, I think 115 for a 5'3" woman is a healthy weight.
    In general, that is healthy. It also depends on your build. I have always been told that once you're past 5 ft, you should weigh at least 100 lbs, and its an additional 5lbs for every inch you are. So at 5'3', 115 sounds right on when using that method. But build plays into it as well, because I am 5'2' and  I lost weigh when I had my wisdom teeth taken out (thanks, dry sockets) and dropped to 118 lbs and I looked so sickly. Even though I am short, I am built with curves. I have hips and boobs and 118 was not a good look for me. On the other hand, my friend is 5'2' and weights 112 and she looks great; not sickly skinny but fit and healthy. So it all depends. You sound like you are right where you should be, and even though your picture on here is super tiny, I don't think you look unhealthy at all.
    Anniversary

• Options
    my UO...

1. Pizza. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, I just don't care for it. I'll eat it once in a great while if I have no choice but I would really rather not, especially pepperoni.

2. When brides wear tiaras at their wedding. I'm sorry if someone reading this wore one, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but it looks ridiculous. You are not a princess, and you are not playing dress up. Stop with the tiaras.

Anniversary

• Options
    vk2204 said:
    I don't like birthday or holiday proposals. I feel like someone gets screwed out of a gift, and it takes away from a different celebration.
    I agree! My BF told me that he had been asking his friends on different ways to propose to me a lot of them told him to do it either on my birthday (Dec 6th) or Christmas...HORRIBLE IDEA. He didnt like the idea either, thank goodness. I think if that date has a particular meaning then its fine. Like if my BF proposed on NYE, I would be okay with it because our first kiss was at midnight on NYE, but to propose on a holiday that has no significance to you? No thanks. An engagement should have its own special date.
    Anniversary

• Options

BF and I decided to not dump our entire savings into a 20% downpayment for a more expensive home...so we decided how much we wanted to have leftover in savings and then used the remainder as a 20% downpayment on a less expensive home. When we got the pre-approval letter from the bank, we requested to be pre-approved only for the price of the home we were interested in buying. So now we have an $800 a month mortgage payment (includes escrow), 6 months of emergency savings in the bank, and if one of us were to find ourselves without a job...the other person would still be able to comfortably afford the mortgage payment on their own. Sure...we could have "afforded" to buy a home that cost us the same as our former monthly rent (around $1400) but we decided to take a more conservative approach. We eventually plan to upgrade when we can afford a bigger 20% downpayment on a bigger, newer, better home. I honestly believe we're more ahead because 1. We don't have PMI 2. Our cost of living is significantly reduced from when we were renting. So now we're able to save more every month for upgrades to our house, money for a future home, things like that.

For full disclosure: I live in metro Atlanta. Obv our overall cost of living doesn't align AT ALL with cost of living in the New England area. However, we were still able to buy an 1800 sq foot home with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a partial basement plus it sits on a nearly 1 acre lot. It was not a foreclosure although there are PLENTY of homes around here on the market that are.

I think it's total BS to say that it "isn't possible" to put 20% down on a home and still be able to afford the other expenses that come up.

• Options
    You know what also really annoys me about the early Christmas push? (Not that wishing stores would wait seems to be an unpopular opinion around here, lol) There are a few locally owned/operated stores near me that I like to shop at. Two in particular are very religious in nature, although they serve the general public (One is a small grocery operated by Mennonites with some religious items in their gift section; the other is a hardware store where I've notice daily scripture readings taped to the registers for their employees to read throughout the day). These two stores whipped out Christmas right on November 1st this year. You'd think that businesses like this would recognize and try to keep Christmas as a holy day, not yet another commercial opportunity, but damn if they weren't up there with most of the department stores. Sigh.
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not going to completely disagree with you. However, it may be cheaper for you to do it where you live, it isn't where I live. We looked into a lot of different properties to purchase when we first started looking. Everything that was in the range of his pre-approval would have put us into more debt than we already are. Most of the houses, not condos or mobile homes, we looked at needed major work just to be livable. It may be possible for someone who lives in an area where it is possible to put 20% down and not be in debt. Where I am though, not the case, especially if you aren't offered a very high amount for a loan.

ETA because my fingers move faster than I think

You're the one that said it isn't possible. I'm not trying to judge anyone who made the decision to put less than 20%...even Dave Ramsey says to have at least 10% (although 20% is preferred to avoid PMI). That amount of cash for what you really desire in a home isn't always readily available but it's still an excuse regardless of your region and the associated cost of living. You always have the option to wait it out and save for a longer period of time...even if it means renting a shitty apartment temporarily. Lord knows we did it...

But for everyone else...read Dave Ramsey. Seriously. We ended up renting for an extra year and didn't buy a home in 2012 so we could save up for a bigger downpayment this year. It put us in a more secure financial posiiton when we did buy...ie...having a comfortable amount of leftover cash in our savings for any potential emergenices.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home-buying-tips/home/

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-real-estate/lifeandmoney_realestate/

• Options
    UO: 

1) I hate the show Friends. Hate it. I've really tried to like it but I just... can't. 
    2) dislike Sweetest Day. 
    3) just say no to colored skinny jeans - anyone wearing these is going to feel straight up ridiculous when they see pictures of themselves in these 20 years from now. 
    4) I like yard work
    5) I do not like cranberry relish. Never have, never will.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    30 something year old club promoters.  In my book that is not a career.  I can see doing it as a part time gig for extra cash but I can't take someone who says that's their career seriously.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards