Honeymoon Discussions

Changing License/Passport/Name Change question.

I wasn't really sure where to ask this...So, I've moved to a different state and have to get my license updated to reflect that. However, I don't really want to change my license now to just have to change it again once I change my name. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm fine to get a passport since that isn't issued by the state...am I correct in assuming that? But does anyone know if it will be difficult to update my license once I get my name changed? 

Does this make any sense? As I'm typing this, I'm realizing I sound like I'm over analyzing everything. I am just making plans to go apply for a passport and don't want to get screwed over by things that are as silly as updating my address and name changes...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Changing License/Passport/Name Change question.

• Your passport will have to be in your legal name when you use it, if that's what you're asking. You cannot legally travel outside the country on a name that doesn't belong to you. 

If your wedding and honeymoon are coming up soon,  I'd recommend going on your honeymoon on your current passport if you have one or applying for one now under your maiden name and then just legally changing your name when you get back so you don't have to stress about getting the passport issued in time between the wedding and honeymoon. 

And most people have very few issues changing their residency/name for their license, but the process varies by state.
  • I have a similar problem with the driver's license. I haven't really decided yet what I'm going to do. I will say, when I moved to the state I live in now, I waited until my old state's license was about a week away from expiring before I got a new one--even though they say you have to obtain a license in your new state within 90 days (or that's IL's rule anyway) no one at the DMV cared, even though my lease (which I needed to prove residency) showed I had clearly been living there for almost a year at that point. Also, know that you will probably have to take the written test and may even have to take a driving test (although that is less likely). Check the laws in your new state--you don't want to arrive to the DMV only to find you will have to take a written test and fail it. Also read the state's driver's manual just like you did when you first got  your license to study for the exam. You might be surprised about some little, silly state laws you didn't know about that could be on the exam. The one question I got wrong was one of these, apparently in Illinois it is illegal to open the car door on the driver's side when you are parallel parked on the right side of the street, even if no cars are coming and the street is deserted. Yeah, because people really follow that. Also, how are you supposed to get out of your car!?
  • Let me just make sure i understand - you need a passport now but your current driver's license isn't issued by the state that you live in?  And you are not married yet...correct?

Apply for a passport now in your current name.  The passport has to match your Social Security number and, if it is your first passport, your Birth Certificate (if this is a renewal, it just has to match the name on your old passport).  After the wedding, do all of your name changes at once, and get you driver's license in your new home state at that time.  If the passport is for your honeymoon, make sure all air travel is booked in your maiden name.  Your flight itinerary must match your passport.

A simple name change on an existing passport is FREE if you submit the necessary information for the change within one year of the passport's issuance.  My honeymoon is in June.  My current passport expires in July - but most countries won't let you in with less than 3-6 months remaining on your currnt passport.  So I am renewing my current passport in December, using it for the honeymoon, and then submitting the name change once I have dealt with the Social Security office and legally changed my name when i get back (hopefully pre-December, so that it won't cost me any extra money).  All of my air and hotel reservations for the honeymoon will be made in my maiden name, because that it what my legal name will be at that time.

• The passport is issued by the United States, not the state you live in.  If you are traveling right after the wedding you need a passport in your maiden name, and your flight must be booked under your maiden name.

You should follow the laws in your state about getting a new driver's license, even if it does mean a second trip to the DMV in a few months.  It's really NBD.

Even if the DMV doesn't care if your license is expired or hasn't been changed to the new state within the legal time period, believe me that cops WILL care if you get pulled over.  It's just not worth it.  Wake up an hour earlier one day next week and get it done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• delujm0 said:

Let me just make sure i understand - you need a passport now but your current driver's license isn't issued by the state that you live in?  And you are not married yet...correct?

Apply for a passport now in your current name.  The passport has to match your Social Security number and, if it is your first passport, your Birth Certificate (if this is a renewal, it just has to match the name on your old passport).  After the wedding, do all of your name changes at once, and get you driver's license in your new home state at that time.  If the passport is for your honeymoon, make sure all air travel is booked in your maiden name.  Your flight itinerary must match your passport.

A simple name change on an existing passport is FREE if you submit the necessary information for the change within one year of the passport's issuance.  My honeymoon is in June.  My current passport expires in July - but most countries won't let you in with less than 3-6 months remaining on your currnt passport.  So I am renewing my current passport in December, using it for the honeymoon, and then submitting the name change once I have dealt with the Social Security office and legally changed my name when i get back (hopefully pre-December, so that it won't cost me any extra money).  All of my air and hotel reservations for the honeymoon will be made in my maiden name, because that it what my legal name will be at that time.

This information was very helpful -- I, too, think I need to get my passport renewed before the honeymoon as it will be within the 3-6 month expiration period but didn't want to go through the hassle twice when I would be changing my name around that same time. We have a little bit of time between the wedding and honeymoon (one month) but I don't want to push it trying to get my name changed and a new passport issued with that name in such a short timeframe, so I am happy to know I have some breathing room.

Thank you for sharing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards