Wedding Etiquette Forum

creative way to ask for money

Re: creative way to ask for money

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    We have decided to donate our wedding to a charity. However, our wedding is at a winery so it is a private event and we are required to purchase all the wine ahead of time and we cannot  charge people for the wine, so I thought of putting out tip jars instead. I need a creative way to say " Im paying for your food and alcohol all night so put some money in the jar". Thoughts.....
    This makes no sense. 

Your wedding is not a fundraiser.

Lose the tip jars.  There is no "creative" or "cute" way to solicit contributions to charity, or any other payment, from your guests.  It's not their job to pay your bills or contribute to charity on your behalf.  Donate to charity without involving your guests.
  • The only time I've heard of donating a wedding to charity is when the wedding is called off and the hosts invite residents from a homeless shelter, women's shelter, etc, to enjoy the already paid for wedding dinner. So I'm operating under the assumption that the wedding has been called off.

In that case, I'm fairly certain that the people who run the shelter or charitable agency won't allow alcohol to be served to their residents, so you could easily get away with not having a bar and just serving water, tea, coffee, and soft drinks.

If it's anything other than this scenario....just no. No no no no no.  God, no.

• Not saying anything new, but it's not okay to ask your guests for money, no matter how "creative".

If donating to charity means that much, why not donate any gifts you receive at your wedding to the charity?

• I am too confused to form a good response...until I receive clarification from the OP all I can say is Tip Jars are rude and id you think so little of your guests you should just elope.
  • AddieL73 said:
    Am I drunk again?

Maybe, but I should be. Then I bet I would understand the question.
  • Countdown to, "OMG, you guyz. I asked for ideas for a cute poem, not your opinions on how I should live my life. I feel sorry for your husbands!"

In 3... 2... 1...
    Dont forget that we are bullying also.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I want whatever you guys are having ...
  • kgd7357kgd7357 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    I'm pretty sure this post isn't real. It just doesn't make enough sense to be real.
  • Inkdancer said:
    Do you mean that you would like people to give to charity instead of giving wedding presents?

If that is the case, do not register anywhere and put a note on your wedding website that says "In lieu of a gift, please consider donating to X, Y, or Z charity."
    I agree, if you want people to donate to charity, include it as a registry option.  Do not ask for it at the reception... big no, no.  But, some people will still prefer to give hard, tangible gifts and don't like giving cash, no matter the reason.  So, don't make cash their only option either.  And some people don't really care to give you money that you are going to just give away... they want to finance your future, not some strangers.  If you want to donate any cash gifts to charity, that's your choice, but don't force your guests to make charitable contribution.

Our first thought was that FI and I really don't "need" anything and thought about charitable contributions as a gift.  So, on our wedding website, for our registry info (on the last of 10 pages), we first state: "Gifts of any kind are not required.  But, if you want to do something to honor our big day, here are a few charities that we believe in and regularly donate to ourselves, and donations in our honor are definitely appreciated."  We then listed 3 charities that we like (one for cancer, one for another medical condition, and one for assisting lower income), all of which we have looked into and have very low income to overhead ratio (a big annoyance our ours is when a charity has large overhead and very little money actually serves the cause).  We then provided links to these charities websites so they can donate directly to the charity.  We then also includes some limited store registries, with very few items, to accommodate the people that would rather give us tangible items.

• nicoann said:
    Inkdancer said:
    Do you mean that you would like people to give to charity instead of giving wedding presents?

If that is the case, do not register anywhere and put a note on your wedding website that says "In lieu of a gift, please consider donating to X, Y, or Z charity."
    I agree, if you want people to donate to charity, include it as a registry option.  Do not ask for it at the reception... big no, no.  But, some people will still prefer to give hard, tangible gifts and don't like giving cash, no matter the reason.  So, don't make cash their only option either.  And some people don't really care to give you money that you are going to just give away... they want to finance your future, not some strangers.  If you want to donate any cash gifts to charity, that's your choice, but don't force your guests to make charitable contribution.

Our first thought was that FI and I really don't "need" anything and thought about charitable contributions as a gift.  So, on our wedding website, for our registry info (on the last of 10 pages), we first state: "Gifts of any kind are not required.  But, if you want to do something to honor our big day, here are a few charities that we believe in and regularly donate to ourselves, and donations in our honor are definitely appreciated."  We then listed 3 charities that we like (one for cancer, one for another medical condition, and one for assisting lower income), all of which we have looked into and have very low income to overhead ratio (a big annoyance our ours is when a charity has large overhead and very little money actually serves the cause).  We then provided links to these charities websites so they can donate directly to the charity.  We then also includes some limited store registries, with very few items, to accommodate the people that would rather give us tangible items.

No.  If people want to donate to charity, they need to make that decision for themselves without you "nudging" them by putting donations on a registry.  They may not agree with the cause you choose to register.

To be honest, the polite thing to do is not use your wedding as a fundraiser or awareness-raising event.  That's not why people attend weddings.  If you want to donate to charity, do it of your own funds and keep it to yourself.  Leave your guests out of it.
  • WOW apparently I need to clarify. We are not registering for gifts. We are not asking people to give US money. Instead we are asking people to donate to a charity of OUR choice which is a local camp for children and families suffering from pediatric cancer. People coming to our wedding do not have to pay for drinks and do not even have to pay for a way home. It is all being provided by us. I do not understand why we cannot put out a jar for people to donate money to without sounding rude. Its for kids who the cancer!!!!! To all you bridezillas chill out, clean up your language and next time give constructive advice before jumping to conclusions. Oh yes and congrats on your wedding good luck with the wedding planning and my condolences to your future husbnads. Last time I use this resource......
  • Also, I'd like to add that just because someone doesn't want to support your charity doesn't mean they're a heartless person who doesn't care about the CAUSE.

For example, I'm sure all decent people care about children's cancer and would want to donate to help those children.  HOWEVER, a lot of people want to investigate a charity first to see exactly where the money goes.  Some charities (not saying yours) don't actually spend much of the donation money directly on the cause.  A lot of it goes to advertising, legal issues, overhead costs, etc.  People like to know more about the charity they're giving to first.

That's why we say its NEVER a good idea to ask your guests to donate to charity because no matter what the cause is--Children cancer, saving puppies, giving food to Africans--people don't always support every particular charity there is for these issues.

SaveSave
  • My thought is that you are one of the tackiest brides I've ever encountered EVEN on TK, and that this is quite possibly the rudest idea ever. Also no. Also, there is no cute sign for being a money-grubbing, tacky, rude hostess. However: For those who have joined us here Even though you think you're dear We're too cheap to pay for beer Give us tips in this jar We will spread the wealth so far We don't want to pay to wed We aren't really that well-bred Money, money, checks and cash Give it now and give it fast Money grubbing whores are we Isn't this poem cute and twee?
    I will curse you 1000 spells if this becomes next weeks top "pin" ;-p
  • So you guys get this was a troll, right?
  • It smells like speshl snowflake in here!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We have decided to donate our wedding to a charity. However, our wedding is at a winery so it is a private event and we are required to purchase all the wine ahead of time and we cannot  charge people for the wine, so I thought of putting out tip jars instead. I need a creative way to say " Im paying for your food and alcohol all night so put some money in the jar". Thoughts.....
    This is not gonna go over well, but

http://img.pandawhale.com/82379-how-about-no-gif-Kurt-GLEE-N6Eq.gif

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Countdown to, "OMG, you guyz. I asked for ideas for a cute poem, not your opinions on how I should live my life. I feel sorry for your husbands!"

In 3... 2... 1...

• WOW apparently I need to clarify. We are not registering for gifts. We are not asking people to give US money. Instead we are asking people to donate to a charity of OUR choice which is a local camp for children and families suffering from pediatric cancer. People coming to our wedding do not have to pay for drinks and do not even have to pay for a way home. It is all being provided by us. I do not understand why we cannot put out a jar for people to donate money to without sounding rude. Its for kids who the cancer!!!!! To all you bridezillas chill out, clean up your language and next time give constructive advice before jumping to conclusions. Oh yes and congrats on your wedding good luck with the wedding planning and my condolences to your future husbnads. Last time I use this resource......
    Aw, we haven't had an "I feel sorry for your husbands" in a long time
    Rock on!!! Its against etiquette to put out tip jars or solicit those money from guests (for any reason) at your wedding. You came to an etiquette board I can only assume because you care about doing the right thing etiquette wise. Now you know its not right. If you dowere going to do it anyway, I don't really understand why you'd post here to begin with.
    I giggle hysterically at this! :) 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards