Wedding Etiquette Forum

Politely Declining Shower

My FMIL has expressed the desire to host not one, but multiple showers for me. The problem? I don't want any. How do I go about declining them in the most tactful manner possible?

Re: Politely Declining Shower

• Just be honest and thank her for the offer but you aren't interested in having a shower. 
  • Tell her, "Thanks, FMIL, but I'd really prefer not to have a shower."
  • Ditto PPs. That's how I turned down my shower. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'll add, since this is FMIL, make sure to talk to FH about the situation, preferably before you do the actual declining so he can back you up.  Since the shower would be in honor of you, it is your choice, but it is his family so he will probably get asked.
  • I've already declined a couple of showers (although it was more like, "Do you want me to host your shower?"). I'm sure I'll have to decline them more firmly once we get closer to the wedding. But I said stuff like, "That's so thoughtful of you to ask, but Fiance and I are not comfortable with bridal showers. Thank you for offering, though."
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Family members don't host showers, because that would look like a total gift grab.  The shower is hosted by the MOH, assisted by the BMs, and the bride's closest friends are invited.  I've only seen a FMIL invited to ONE shower, ever.

What she's probably offering is an engagement party, to introduce the groom's extended family to the bride-to-be.  That's customary in traditional etiquette, for the groom's parents to host an Eparty after the bride's parents host an Eparty.  But you don't have to have those either. 
  • What she's probably offering is an engagement party, to introduce the groom's extended family to the bride-to-be.  That's customary in traditional etiquette, for the groom's parents to host an Eparty after the bride's parents host an Eparty.  But you don't have to have those either. 
    That is not necessarily true. Although traditional etiquette would hold that family members do not host the bridal shower, it has become a common occurrence. 
  • Family members don't host showers, because that would look like a total gift grab.  The shower is hosted by the MOH, assisted by the BMs, and the bride's closest friends are invited.  I've only seen a FMIL invited to ONE shower, ever.

What she's probably offering is an engagement party, to introduce the groom's extended family to the bride-to-be.  That's customary in traditional etiquette, for the groom's parents to host an Eparty after the bride's parents host an Eparty.  But you don't have to have those either. 

No, it was definitely a shower she was offering to host.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards