Wedding Invitations & Paper

Better to not invite lone kids?

If you have kids, do you care if a wedding you/they were invited to wasn't particularly kid-friendly? We're having a small wedding where most invitees don't have kids. If we put kids on the invitation list, there would be one 2 year old, one 5 year old and one pre-teen, none of them siblings. I have no objection to any of them being there, but I also feel like they'd probably be bored out of their minds since nothing there is going to be kid-friendly or kid-centered. None of them are children that I'm personally close to or who know a lot of the other guests. I feel like if I were a parent, this is something I'd want to either be aware of or just not have the kid invited at all rather than show up and have them be stuck there with a bunch of "boring" childfree adults.

Re: Better to not invite lone kids?

• If I were a parent and were concerned about that, I would call you and ask if other kids were going to be there.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think that if I were a parent, I'd want to know what arrangements were made for the kids.  Are they supposed to be at the ceremony or at the reception?  Is there going to be babysitting or any special activities for them?  Will they know anyone else? 

I'd make my plans based on the answers.  If nothing at the wedding is going to be kid-friendly, I'd consider getting them a babysitter and not attending with them.
  • luthienluthien member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2013
    Jen, they could be at the ceremony and reception, but there's not a place on-site that's good for babysitting, no special activities, and they aren't close to anyone invited but their own parents. I want to make things easier for the parents, but not at the expense of making things kid-centric at an intimate wedding.
  • Most weddings are not kid friendly. I think the parents would probably expect that. I don't think there is anything you need to do.
  • luthien said:
    Jen, they could be at the ceremony and reception, but there's not a place on-site that's good for babysitting, no special activities, and they aren't close to anyone invited but their own parents. I want to make things easier for the parents, but not at the expense of making things kid-centric at an intimate wedding.
    Right, but I was considering what the parents would want to know.  These things that you mention in this quote are things that I think you should share with the parents by word-of-mouth so they can make appropriate arrangements for their kids, which hopefully won't include bringing them to your wedding.
  • Senecaf said:

Most weddings are not kid friendly. I think the parents would probably expect that. I don't think there is anything you need to do.

Agree! The parents should know its a wedding not a child's birthday party. You don't have to worry about anything.

• laurynm84 said:
    Most weddings are not kid friendly. I think the parents would probably expect that. I don't think there is anything you need to do.
    Agree! The parents should know its a wedding not a child's birthday party. You don't have to worry about anything.
    Unfortunately, too many parents don't realize or accept that a wedding invitation to them that doesn't list their children means that their children aren't invited.  You may need to just tell them the truth-there's no babysitting, special child-centered activities, or other guests for the children and hope that the parents won't bring them.
  • It seems that the Op doesn't care if the kids come, as she is inviting them. But she isn't going to add any child activities, which she shouldn't.

• laurynm84 said:
    It seems that the Op doesn't care if the kids come, as she is inviting them. But she isn't going to add any child activities, which she shouldn't.
    Which is fine, but is something she should tell their parents so they can decide whether or not they want to bring the kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards