Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father & Daughter Dance Suggestions?

My father & I are looking for a Father/Daughter dance song for the reception. We both love classic rock, but he wants it to be more slow dance. I guess I am looking for a rock ballad. Most rock ballads seem to be about romantic love, so we are having a bit of trouble. "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns in Roses, was one of my first picks, but he isn't so sure. Does anyone have any suggestions? We both love KISS and Sammy Hagar, but I'll be damned if I can find one by either of them that will work. 

Re: Father & Daughter Dance Suggestions?

• I know you said Classic Rock but my suggestion is I Loved Her First - Heartland. I know it's country *shrugs* but it is a beautiful song.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought of that, but it makes me cry just listening to it. I guess I won't be able to avoid a tear jerker song. :) Thanks for the suggestion.
  • how about Daughters by John Mayer?

• I had this same problem earlier today.  I was trying to decide between "Butterfly Kisses" - Bob Carlisle or "I Loved Her First" - Heartland.  I played both songs a couple of times each while I was cleaning and decided on "I Loved Her First".  It fits my relationship with my father better than "Butterfly Kisses". Both are tear jerkers, and I cried during both. After hearing the 2nd song a 2nd time I didn't cry, but with the song I picked, I kept crying.  :/  

Good luck with finding a song.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

• I had this same problem earlier today.  I was trying to decide between "Butterfly Kisses" - Bob Carlisle or "I Loved Her First" - Heartland.  I played both songs a couple of times each while I was cleaning and decided on "I Loved Her First".  It fits my relationship with my father better than "Butterfly Kisses". Both are tear jerkers, and I cried during both. After hearing the 2nd song a 2nd time I didn't cry, but with the song I picked, I kept crying.  :/  

Good luck with finding a song.  
    Depending on the kind of relationship you have most father/daughter dances I have seen can be very sweet or just down right want to make you cry. It also doesn't help depending on the song you pick lol.

I know I'm going to cry, I cry every time I listen to either of those songs as well. Not sure which I am going to pick...both songs mean something different to me in regards to my father. I guess I'll have to go through it and listen to each song carefully.

For decisions like this, going with what your gut is telling you. Or going with what FEELS right is the best way to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "Butterfly kisses" is a really sweet song to dance to with your father.
  • Butterfly kisses is a good Father/Daughter dance song, but it is not a good song for our relationship. My Dad and I were close once, and neither of us really like squishy music. I E-mailed him to ask him, and he wants a slow dance, so I have no idea what he is going to come up with. He loves Sammy Hagar and Kiss, but I can't see any Sammy Hagar songs that would work. :) I guess I will have to see what he comes up with.
  • I never did like "Daughters" but I do enjoy other songs by John Mayer. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Although this may not be exactly what you are looking for...I am using "It Won't Be Like This For Long" by Darius Rucker.  It has a country vibe, but really sweet message.  The second I heard that song when it came out (which was forever ago), I said to myself, "That is the song my dad and I will dance to at my wedding!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not really Classic Rock but my father suggested for us to dance to "Lullaby (Goodnight my Angel) by Billy Joel. He danced with my older sister to "In My Life" which was beautiful
  • @soontobemrsbuccheri That's my father/daughter song too! I love it! I know I'm going to definitely cry. I always cry when I hear that song but it fits my relationship with my dad so well. My dad told me that's the song he wanted and that was the song I wanted to dance with him too! It was just meant to be!
  • We're dancing to Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman.  It makes me cry every time.
    image 108 invited.
    image 95 will be celebrating with us.
    image 13 will be there in spirit...
    (including the uninvited cousins who
    RSVP-ed and then cancelled after 
    realizing that it wasn't a great time
    to travel to our city....) 
    image 0 are keeping us guessing!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I've seen "My Girl" and "Brown Eyed Girl" used at several different weddings - they're a little more up-tempo, so maybe less tear-jerky.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm using a song called "New Horizons" by the Moody Blues. One of the lines in it is "and i'm never gonna lose/ your precious gift/it will always be that way/ cuz i know im gonna find my own piece of mind/someday/" it just sounds like it was meant for a father "giving away his daughter" to me :) check it out, you can find it on youtube.
  • We're dancing to Daddy's Angel by T Carter Music

Here's a link if you'd like to listen to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otOiO7nKywU
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards