Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Colorful wedding dresses

2»

Re: Colorful wedding dresses

• Options
    I agree with you. What about a white dress with a colored sash,bow or some type of detail that takes away from the plain white dress?
  • Options
    You might also want to check out bridesmaids' dresses. Bonus: they're much cheaper than wedding dresses! That's the route I went.
    That is a really good idea.
  • Options
    I love the colored wedding dress trend! I am a very pale person as well and white doesn't work well with my coloring. I'm leaning towards the blush pinks but that green is stunning and has me wondering if I can find something in that color to try on and see. 

I'm happy your going with your own style preference. On your wedding day when your walking down the aisle the beaming, beautiful bride all your relatives' objectives will fade away and they will see that this was the right choice for you! 
  • Options
    The groom wanted white. Mine is a very subtle metallic, like a silvery champagne/gold, and with heavy beadwork. It's not white, but I think is still going to look appropriately bridal and I doubt I'll hear too many objections.
  • Options
    shaylagirlshaylagirl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2013
    I did a happy mix of the two; Alfred Angelo has a "Dream in Color" collection.  Everyone said how amazing they thought my gown was.  It's white with a band of purple (you could pick whatever color you wanted) around the top, and led to the train being in color.

However, if you want to wear an entire gown in a color, ROCK IT!!!  My (now) husband told me I was weird for wearing white.  But, my first wedding, I always wanted to wear the "big white gown" (or some kind of elaborate gown), and happened to find mine and fell in love.

You wear what you want and, like others have said, EVERYONE is going to know you're the bride!!
  • Options
    Shayla that dress is beautiful and you look stunning in it.
  • Options
    @jdluvr06 It's gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE the colour! Congrats, and I can't wait to see pics of you in it once you get hitched!

• Options
    Wow, that dress is SO pretty. What a lovely color.
  • Options
    @smalfrie19
    jdluvr06 said:
    I don't have a picture of me in the dress since my mom feels it is bad luck to take pictures in your dress before your wedding day and it wasn't important enough to push the subject. Here is a picture of the dress
    I love that dress- it is just the color i'm looking for my bridesmaids! I'm sure you will look gorgeous in it!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    @aefitz29 "I make my own luck" hahahahaha I love it! I may have to steal that :)

• Options
    @aefitz29 "I make my own luck" hahahahaha I love it! I may have to steal that :)
    Only if you say it while doing this:

• Options
    @aefitz29 I can't see the image :(

• Options
    @jdluvr06 that is stunning! WOW!
  • Options
    Props to all my fellow color-loving ladies! I'm rocking a red dress and looking forward to getting it in the mail soon! I never seriously considered wearing white. I've been to weddings with brides rocking green and blue dresses and one wearing a Hawaiian shirt with sharks on it. I knew who the bride was each time! :)
  • Options
    I'm a traditional girl- white/ivory. I went dress shopping with a friend & the one she picked was a pink blush. It was beautiful, but she didn't have the feel of a bride.

You could always get something more colorful for the reception & keep with the traditional dress for your ceremony.
  • Options
    @jdluvr06 that is stunning! WOW!

Thank you!
  • Options
    @jdluvr06; Thank you.  :)  I love my dress.  :) 
  • Options
    I bought a blush pink wedding dress and i can't wait for my fiance to see it! it's definitely not traditional but i'm not into everything traditional
  • Options
    I loved the idea of a purple bridal dress for a very long time. I'm now leaning towards maybe a white dress with purple beading instead, because it makes me personally feel more like I'm getting married... But who cares! The old tradition was to get married in your best dress, no matter the color.  By the way, I LOVE the fluffy mint colored dress, it's beautiful! Regardless, buy the dress you love and the dress you feel best in. Period. Green, blue, black, white, any color! It is your day, celebrate it your way.
  • Options
    My dress is ivory but I tried really hard to find a pink/blush colour. I tried BM dresses but the styles didn't suit as well. I'm glad you ladies are able to rock coloured dresses! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress is Ivory, but I really wanted to wear a "wedding" dress, since no one on my family really has "big" weddings. But really I don't think you have to wear a white dress at all.

That mint dress is beautiful! I love it!

In the Little House on the Prairie books, Laura wears a black dress because it was her nicest one. Generally people would wear their best dress to get married in and it was not white. Also, I was watching a WWII bride documentary and most of those brides did not have white dresses either. They had their best dress to wear as well and most of them didn't even get frosted cakes because of the sugar rationing!

I almost started crying watching it because this sweet little old lady was saying in awe how the bakery had told her that they could make her a small cake but that it wouldn't be frosted and she was sad about it but that was just how it had to be. Well the wedding day came and she went to the reception area and there was a frosted wedding cake! The bakery had asked if anyone was willing to donate their rations to make frosting for it, and had gotten enough sugar. I thought that was such a nice story.

I think it's very easy to get caught up in the cultural norms of weddings, but do what you feel best with! That mint dress is gorgeous and I bet you will look stunning in it!
  • Options
    My thoughts are that you should try a few white dresses on for your family and friends. Go in open minded, but mostly say you're looking to see what shapes look best on you, etc. You may be surprised and love white/ivory/whatever, but if you aren't there's no shame in that. Tell the people going in with you that you liked X but you just really couldn't buy into the white tradition. If they're not happy, oh well, you will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards