Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Ceremony/Reception at Children's Museum???

My FI and I are trying to have a fun, kid-friendly wedding...not only are our two kids in the wedding, but many of our guests have children and instead of potentially causing an issue with a no-kids rule, we thought it may be cool to have our wedding/reception at the Children's Museum. You can rent out the ENTIRE museum for I think 4-5 hours so the kids would have free reign of the place.

Am I the only person crazy enough to try this? LOL

Re: Ceremony/Reception at Children's Museum???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about the Children's Museum, but several ladies have recommended it on here, so I say go for it. I think it's great to invite children- we didn't have a lot at mine, just b/c there aren't many in the family.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are many brides with or without children who have had weddings at the Children's Museum!  I think it's a cool space, and one of my favorite caterers (Big Burrito) is an option there.  I believe Nunu has had events there for work, and she always recommends it- if she doesn't chime in here, you can page her for more info.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My boss has an annual fundraiser there and they charge a lot- well over $1,000 and this is for a discounted non profit rate.. but if its within your budget, I say go for it! Its a beautiful space!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that since we're getting several of our big things (cake, some wedding jewelry, etc) free or at a discount, we may be able to pull this off...I would much rather have a wedding that our guests enjoy than be overly concerned about things like table linens or centerpieces!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love their space!
    How many guests are you thinking? You can fit a lot there.
    Their rental rates are well-priced for the type of venue, definitely give it a look. I always love events there.

I will say though, that if it is cost-prohibitive to do the whole museum, you can do the Grand Hall and one or two of the exhibit rooms (Mister Rogers, The Attic, The Garage or The Studio). It still gives you the feel and the kid-friendly aspect, but is lighter on your wallet.

If this is the type of venue you are looking for, look also at the Carnegie Science Center (a bit more $$), the Pittsburgh Zoo, the National Aviary, and the Carnegie Museum of Natural History.

I was looking for something similar to you and looked at all the above. Any questions, send them my way! I ended at the Aviary.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    cshafercshafer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jaime! I am having my reception at the Children's Museum! So far, they've been great to work with. I am really, really excited about it--it's such an unusual and interesting-looking reception space!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards