Wedding Party

Asking Bridesmaids to be in your wedding with diy ring pop gifts

I want to make cute little diy gifts to give my friends when asking them to be my bridesmaids. But I guess I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I don't want to pressure them to say yes with the gift, but I love the idea of giving one.

My question is how do I do it..... go to my friends house with the gift and give it to them and ask them while opening the gift? Or do I give them the gift and ask them to open it after I leave and not really ask in person?

Please help,  I just keep picturing in my head being really awkward lol

Re: Asking Bridesmaids to be in your wedding with diy ring pop gifts

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, as someone who has gotten these gifts, this IS super awkward. It will put pressure on them to say yes. I vote you save your time and money to get them awesome bridesmaid gifts. 

Why not just send them a cute card or give them a phone call?

• edited December 2013
    Yea, save your money and spend it on their bridesmaid gift. That's the thing they'll keep as a keepsake or appreciate as they remember standing up for you.

ETA: also ring pops are way over done and super cliche.
    *********************************************************************************

• ajw927 said:
    I want to make cute little diy gifts to give my friends when asking them to be my bridesmaids. But I guess I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I don't want to pressure them to say yes with the gift, but I love the idea of giving one.

My question is how do I do it..... go to my friends house with the gift and give it to them and ask them while opening the gift? Or do I give them the gift and ask them to open it after I leave and not really ask in person?

Please help,  I just keep picturing in my head being really awkward lol
    That's what's going to happen if you ask them by giving them gifts.

I'd go for just asking them in a gentle, dignified way.
  • Don't give a gift. You're right that it will be awkward and that they'll feel pressured to say yes. Just ask. When I asked my MOH, I said this: I was wondering if you'd like to be my MOH." She cried and said yes and we hugged and it was a great moment. Simple and perfect. 
  • If you don't get to see these girls all the time but want to do something special then a simple card would do.  Otherwise I would just call them and ask them.  The gift is a little overdone and may cause them to feel pressured.
  • @ajw927 I found a cute shop on Etsy where she makes these little cut-out boxes with their names and "Will you be my ..." cut out on top, and inside she can put a custom message on a ribbon around a (fake) flower. She can make the boxes in a variety of colors, which I liked because it gave my bridesmaids a sneak peek at our wedding colors too. All my girls LOVED the boxes. I wanted to find a cute way but felt the ring pops were just over done IMO. I also have half of my bridal party out of state, so it was a little bit more special than text or facebook message since that's how we often communicate anyways. If you want I can find her shop for you. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    @ajw927 I found a cute shop on Etsy where she makes these little cut-out boxes with their names and "Will you be my ..." cut out on top, and inside she can put a custom message on a ribbon around a (fake) flower. She can make the boxes in a variety of colors, which I liked because it gave my bridesmaids a sneak peek at our wedding colors too. All my girls LOVED the boxes. I wanted to find a cute way but felt the ring pops were just over done IMO. I also have half of my bridal party out of state, so it was a little bit more special than text or facebook message since that's how we often communicate anyways. If you want I can find her shop for you. :)
    Yes, because I am sure your friends would have been fine hurting your feelings by telling you that they hated the random boxes you gave them so of course they "loved" them.

• You have to write them a cute poem. The offer is only valid if accompanied by a cute poem. Everybody knows that. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I just sent cards to ask with custom notes to each. I asked my MOH and my FSIL over the phone the night we got engaged b/c there was no question about the fact that I wanted them up there with me. I still sent them cards anyways just to confirm that it wasn't all the excitement and champagne. A heart felt card/note goes a long way.
  • I think it's a cute idea and if it's something you want to do then do it! We are doing candy bar wrappers that ask "Will you be a part of our special day" and then asking all those who are being a significant part (bridal party, readers,friends who are doing hair and makeup). we are making little candy bags, why not be cliche and cute? it's your wedding! :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    I think it's a cute idea and if it's something you want to do then do it! We are doing candy bar wrappers that ask "Will you be a part of our special day" and then asking all those who are being a significant part (bridal party, readers,friends who are doing hair and makeup). we are making little candy bags, why not be cliche and cute? it's your wedding! :)
    But you are asking others to take part.  Being cliche and cute puts more pressure on them to say yes when they may have to say no, and it's not always appreciated.  You may never hear someone say to you "This is a stupid idea with no cuteness in it at all" because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but their silence doesn't mean they love the idea or even like it.

So save the gifts for people who have already agreed to be your bridesmaids-not people you are asking who haven't said yes.
  • Please save the gifts until after they've agreed to be your bridesmaids.
  • I think it's a cute idea and if it's something you want to do then do it! We are doing candy bar wrappers that ask "Will you be a part of our special day" and then asking all those who are being a significant part (bridal party, readers,friends who are doing hair and makeup). we are making little candy bags, why not be cliche and cute? it's your wedding! :)
    So having a wedding equates to being cliche and cute?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards