Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Alterations

Hello Everyone!

I got my dress from David's Bridal and I have an appointment next Saturday to get my alterations done. I have heard different opinions on getting them done here. Its basically going to cost me about $225-$250 to get my bustles put in and turn the back of my dress into a corset (they charge $40 just for the ribbon on the corset)

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Alterations

• morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No - I have heard horrible things about the excessive prices David's Bridal charges for alterations.

Find an independent seamstress for your alterations.
    I know there are several listed in the recommended vendors list in the sticky post at the top.
  • edited December 2011
    I paid around that price for alterations, but had them done at a private seamstress in my area. My gown needed significantly shortened, a bustle, and the top needed worked on, namely the straps. That sounds a bit high, but I don't know how involved it is to change dresses to corset backs. I haven't heard the best things about DB alterations either (got my dress there too), so I took mine elsewhere, esp. since I live OOT.
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard Clarissa's in the South Side does great alterations.

ETA: I have no idea if that is too much or not, but I'd imagine remaking a dress into a corest back is pretty significant work! Why did you decide to go this route instead of buying a dress with a corset already in it? Just wondering.
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh that's great, I work in the SS... I was torn between 2 dresses, one had the corset and one did not. I really like the front of the one without the corset and I really like the back of the one that did. Everyone that I was with just told me to get a corset put into it so I can get the dress that I like the most. I am still undecided if I will go through with it, but I am leaning toward doing it because I got a really great price on the dress!

Thanks for the info!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards