Wedding Party
Options

Other ways to include friends not in the bridal party?

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to include good friends who aren't part of the bridal party in the wedding-process (aside from just showing up as a guest). I have 6 bridesmaids who are my closest friends but also have a few other good friends that I want to try to incorporate into the wedding in some way aside from just showing up. Any thoughts on how I can do this?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Appreciate any suggestions!! Thanks!

Re: Other ways to include friends not in the bridal party?

• Options
    I personally am not a fan of assigning other "jobs" or "tasks" to people not in the wedding party (readings, etc.). It feels to me like a consolation prize. I'm sure most people understand that you can't have everyone in your bridal party. 
  • Options
    Don't assign them any jobs or duties. This ends up coming off as "I don't want you to be a BM, but you can do these jobs for me...." KWIM?

Invite them dress shopping, cake/menu tasting, venue touring, if someone offers to throw you a bach/shower see if they can be guests.... Keep in mind though they can say no to any/all of these things. Not everyone likes wedding planning, especially if they haven't been asked to be a part of it. Seat them at a table close to the head table and make sure you socialize with them at the reception. That's your best bet without it seeming like you're trying to over compensate.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Don't assign them "jobs" or "tasks."  Nobody feels "honored" or "included" to be asked or told to do them.

Don't assign them any jobs or duties. This ends up coming off as "I don't want you to be a BM, but you can do these jobs for me...." KWIM?

Invite them dress shopping, cake/menu tasting, venue touring, if someone offers to throw you a bach/shower see if they can be guests.... Keep in mind though they can say no to any/all of these things. Not everyone likes wedding planning, especially if they haven't been asked to be a part of it. Seat them at a table close to the head table and make sure you socialize with them at the reception. That's your best bet without it seeming like you're trying to over compensate.
    This.
  • Options

Thanks for all the feedback! I will definitely take this advice and just include her in the fun stuff (if she wants, of course) but nothing along the lines of an assignment!

Thanks again!

• Options
    You could always ask for them to do a reading at the ceremony. I recently attended a wedding in which just the brothers were the MOH and BM - so the bride had her closest girlfriends do readings! It was a sweet way to acknowledge friends contributions to the relationship. Now on a side-note - I asked my FH's SIL to do a reading instead of being a bridesmaid and I was informed that asking someone to do a reading is "insulting"... but I don't think most people take it that way!!
  • Options
    How about saving a dance for them? Or just make sure you make time for them during the day, even if it is a few minutes.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards