African American Weddings

Checks!

minsu5minsu5 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited December 2013 in African American Weddings
MToday, my FI and I took off from work to complete our remaining wedding plans. We began this morning at the Baltimore City Courthouse, where we applied for our marriage license. After handing over $85 cash and swearing we weren't blood relatives, we got the ceremonial marriage certificate, officiant's copy, and court license. Next, we met with our florist. I initially met the florist with one of my friends because my FI couldn't attend (he lives and works in D.C.). Before signing the contract, though, I wanted my FI to meet her and talk about his boutonniere. My color is blue, his is red. There are limited flowers available that has both colors. He quickly fell for her charm and motherly advice ("Oh hon, you won't want gerber daisies. They're too fragile!").

After our florist, we went to my apt so he could take a nap and I could conclude our photo booth contract and mail the deposit.  We found the deal on Groupon -- 4 hour photo booth rental for $379 at Charm City Photo Booths. I spent much of Friday and Saturday emailing one of the owners about their packages and upgrades. Today, we closed the deal and I still got it under my $500 budget.

Then, once E left my place for D.C., I visited one of my friends for dinner. He's a well known man in Baltimore, hosts a radio show, and a prolific writer. He also happens to be an ordained minister. I've been having trouble finding an officiant in the past. I was turned down by one of my judge mentors ("Officiating weddings is more of a clerks job than a judge's") and a colleague who is a minister but I learned was against same-sex marriage ("I like you, you're a good guy, but I just can't support that.").  I was playing phone tag with another guy who was an ordained minister and a self employed consultant. After 3 strikes, I asked my friend. I thought he would decline because he was either 1) too busy to do a wedding or 2) out of my price range. How wrong was I! Not only did he agree, but said he didn't need the money. He would attend both rehearsal and ceremony and I could pay what I could.

After tonight, the only thing outstanding is my photographer, which my FI is supposed to handle. The photographer is a childhood friend of my FI and he already knows our budget. I'm working on invitations with my best friend who's also a designer. Hopefully they'll be done by the end of this month. I already bought and received my bespoke tux and ring (both of which had to be resized twice). For the most part, all I have to do between now and May is drop deposits and write checks.

I feel so relieved.

My Tux

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

Re: Checks!

• Loving the tux... Wow u got a lot done before we got hit with more snow Not mad at ya
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • minsu5 AWWWWWWWW you are on a roll honey! Congrats on all your checks and might i add that tux is soooo lovely... im sure you will be gorgeous! Question... In Baltimore you have to get the marriage license early? Only reason i ask is because i was under the impression you didnt need it until at least a month or two before the wedding..

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• WONDERFUL CHECKS!  Congrats, especially on the officiant. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats on getting your checks completed before all this snow we got. I love the tux. Glad you found an officiant for your big day. I was thinking about making the trip to the courthouse to get license soon. Guess I will go next month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Daaaannnnnnnnnnn you got a lot done! Go head now! If I was still in md I would be sending you my address for my invite! How are you doing in the bad weather?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What's the material of the pants?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @misstira, In Maryland, we have a 2 day waiting period, so at the latest, you could wait till 48 hours before the ceremony. With an order, a judge may waive that rule. My FI wanted to join me in getting the license, but because of the distance between us, we had to take a day off. 

Now why Dec. 9? I don't know because he chose that date. I suspect it has something to do with one of his secret plans for the wedding. He's been taking videos and snapshots with his Ipad. (That's fine because I have my own surprise for the wedding)

@RanyattaCasey, work was closed, my frige is full of food, and the snow slowed to a stop midday. I survived our first winter storm of the season. You're right, though, had we waited an extra day, we would've been S.O.L.

@marsm4, The pants are 100% wool with a satin stripe. You can't see it in the photos, but on the inside hem of the pant legs is my embroidered name.  My name is also sewn in the jacket. The tuxedo as a whole was inspired by James Bond in Skyfall and designed by Derrick King at Charles Schafer Clothiers. Literally, when I tried on this suit, all I needed was a gun or a vodka martini.

• @marsm4, The pants are 100% wool with a satin stripe. You can't see it in the photos, but on the inside hem of the pant legs is my embroidered name.  My name is also sewn in the jacket. The tuxedo as a whole was inspired by James Bond in Skyfall and designed by Derrick King at Charles Schafer Clothiers. Literally, when I tried on this suit, all I needed was a gun or a vodka martini.

NICE!! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok i cant wait to see the pics of the tux on... 
    @Minsu5 i hope you are bundled up today it is beyond cold 
    i feel like i am back at home in chicago 
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am! It was 27 degrees this morning. This is why I can't stand winter. Sometimes I wish my parents migrated to the West Coast instead of Baltimore.

• Yay for all of your checks!
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • I'd say you had a pretty productive day.  YAY!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• minsu5 said:
    I am! It was 27 degrees this morning. This is why I can't stand winter. Sometimes I wish my parents migrated to the West Coast instead of Baltimore.

This cold is disrespectful lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awesome checks!! Love your tux by the way!! Very James Bond like!! I see you 007!!

After 3 strikes, I asked my friend. I thought he would decline because he was either 1) too busy to do a wedding or 2) out of my price range. How wrong was I! Not only did he agree, but said he didn't need the money. He would attend both rehearsal and ceremony and I could pay what I could.

LOOK AT GOD WON'T HE DO IT! That is a blessing!!

I can't wait to see the final outcome of your wedding! I bet it is going to be a hit (meanwhile I will be in Louisiana celebrating my baby's 6th birthday pretending to be Doc Mcstuffins LOL)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards