Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Can my bridesmaids hair be their gift?

I want to make sure I treat my bridesmaids well...they all mean a lot to me. But I also want to avoid going overboard on unnecessary expenses. When I asked them to be bridesmaids, I told them their hair the day of would be my gift to them. I didn't want to get them a cheap trinket they may never use again, and I thought they'd appreciate the gesture. But based on other posts I'm reading I'm afraid I'm cheating out on them. Can the wedding hair count as a gift? Or is it more me dressing them for the occasion and I'd look bad if I didn't get them a gift too??

Re: Can my bridesmaids hair be their gift?

• Options
    Anything that you gift them that speaks directly to your wedding itself is traditionally not seen as a "gift".  Your gift does not need to be expensive, but it should speak to each BM individually. 
  • Options
    That's a really great way to look at it. Thanks!
  • Options
    So many people on here say that if it's used for your wedding then it's it's for you and not for them and it doesn't count as a gift. But honestly, my SIL did this for us and I didn't mind one bit. She asked us if we wanted the hair or a mani/pedi gift cert and I chose the hair. I'm with you on the not needing a useless trinket...I feel bad but another wedding I was in I was given a purse hook and a wine stopper and I threw them both out. 

• Options
    I want to make sure I treat my bridesmaids well...they all mean a lot to me. But I also want to avoid going overboard on unnecessary expenses. When I asked them to be bridesmaids, I told them their hair the day of would be my gift to them. I didn't want to get them a cheap trinket they may never use again, and I thought they'd appreciate the gesture. But based on other posts I'm reading I'm afraid I'm cheating out on them. Can the wedding hair count as a gift? Or is it more me dressing them for the occasion and I'd look bad if I didn't get them a gift too??
    Paying for their hair is not a gift, it's a kind gesture.  You should shop for their bridesmaid's gift as if you were shopping for their birthday.  The gifts don't have to be the same (presumably they all have different interests/tastes, so they would be all different).  You also don't have to spend alot of money......a small gift and some kind words you write in a card would go a long way.  (Note, I would still pay for the hair since you mentioned it to them already)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards