Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Honeymoon

So, I spent most of the day looking at honeymoon spots (please see honeymoon woes for background. :)) anyways, I think I have come downt to two possibilities:
http://www.velasvallarta.com/html/puerto-vallarta-mexico-restaurants.asp

http://www.palaceresortsguide.com/IslaMujeres.htm

Both are about the same, so I can't make a price adjustment. The one in Puerto Vallarta has more restaurants, activities, amentities, but the ocean/beach isn't going to be as clear/nice as the other.

The Isla Mujeres (island off of Cancun) is small, and seems quaint and cute. The lack of restaurants is a drawback for us, but the proximity to cancun/riveria maya are nice because if we find something cheap nearby, we could tack it on.

I'd love any opinions or thoughts! Thanks ladies. :)
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: Honeymoon

• Options
    edited December 2011
    They both look great!  I've been to all three places, Cancun, Riviera Maya, and Puerta Vallarta. When DF and I went to Puerta Vallarta in May 2008, we really enjoyed ourselves.  But, we went on vacation looking to do nothing for 4 days.  And thats exactly what we did.  We ate, drank, and layed by the beach/pool. 

I think it is important to have a variety of food choices, as the same restaurant every night can be boring.  But if you are close to Cancun/Riviera Maya you could definitiely find some good places. 

I would say that you would probably have more things to do in Cancun/Riviera Maya.  In Puerta Vallarta, I only remember seeing things you could pay for (swimming with dolphins, ATVs etc). There was nothing within walking distance, but it may have been just our hotel area?

Sorry for the WOT, I don't think you could go wrong with either location.  I think you need to really identify what YOU want on your HM.  White sand/blue water, good food, lots of activities? etc.
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help Duq!

My FI and I really want to do basically nothing except lay on the beach, with a pina colada, eat lots and just veg out. The only excursions that I really want to do is snorkeling, some shopping wherever is close by and that's about it.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh nice! I don't think you could go wrong with either! I have been to Puerta Vallarta on a cruise and I was unimpressed with it (granted we were only on 1 beach for a few hours so I'm not all that sure how valid my opinion is!) I just remember the ocean not being that clear and not that much to do in the 'town' area where we were... However, I remember you talking about stopping in Napa first (which made me want to do the same!) and PV would def be closer proximity to Napa if you were still thinking of going that route!!

If it were me, however, I would prob choose the Isla Mujeres one b/c there is TONS to do in the area around it - i.e. cancun, rivera maya, ruins, etc. - and I think the beaches in the area are jsut stunning! Plus, you originally wanted to go to Rivera Maya/Cozumel area and it is close to those spots....

Sorry for the indecisiveness in opinion on my part, but I'm just trying to help you weigh the pros of each :) HTH!!
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Puerto Vallarta is very different from the Rivera Maya area. The two things we did while there was visit Los Arcos and according to the website, is only 10 miles from where this hotel is. And we did a Vallarta Adventures tour and we did the zip lines and actually repelled down a waterfall (which was terrifying and don't recommend it if you're not into scaring the hell out of youreslf!) The beach is beautiful, but the water isn't as pretty. Here is where I stayed, not sure if this counts for your points that you're getting, but we had a blast here.

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en-GB/Hotels/Mexico/PuertoVallarta/LaJollaDeMismaloya/Home.htm

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I probably would say go for the spot on Isla Mujeres. I actually really like PV but that's more to do with it having an old town/colonial history. So many of the Mexican beach resorts today were developed post-1950s and don't have anything in the way of historical significance/offerings, but PV does including a malecon which I think is nice and very romantic. But, as people have said, the beaches aren't the white pearl sands/crystal blue waters that the Caribbean are.

Isla Mujeres is a VERY small island and really has a laid-back, island kind of feel . The area where the boats dock is more crowded, lots of backpackers, little restaurants and shops. We did a biking tour, but motorbikes/vespas are also really common to rent too to get around. When we took our day trip there last year, we actually were based at the Palace Resort you mentioned and it was very gorgeous and serene. Being based at the Palace Resort, you'll def. be able to veg. out, but hop a ferry to the mainland/do a bus tour to Chichen Itza, etc very easily enough.

My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From what you say you want and the types of places you've been looking for (esp. Hawaii), I would say to go for the Isla Mujeres resort.  The beach there is definitely nicer than it is in the main Puerto Vallarta area, and it sounds like you really want to veg and enjoy the ocean, beach, and pool most days, right?

If you were looking for the adventure-type stuff that Hawaii offers, Isla Mujeres is also close-ish (probably a day trip)  to some really great sites like Chichen Itza (one of the new seven wonders of the world and absolutely awesome) and Tulum.  Cancun also has great shopping!

FWIW, I am not a fan of AIs or even staying on resorts AT ALL for more than like two days, but this is the only type of vacation my mom will take, and actually my favorite spot for this that I've ever been to was in Cancun.  We didn't go near the party stuff except for one night when I went out with my brothers, and until we sought it out specifically, it may as well not have existed.  It was just relaxing and luxurious and calm and pretty in our resort.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your help!!!! I think the island is where we are going to try! Yay!!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards