Outdoor Weddings

Are You Wearing Heels in Grass??

My ceremony is going to be outside on grass and our reception inside.  At first, I just figured I wouldn't wear heels because of the grass, but since I bought my gown, I keep finding heels that I love and might want to wear for the wedding.  Also, my FI is more than a foot taller than me, so heels will lessen the difference.  I don't really want to get wedges, and I actually have a specific style that I really like (peep toe ivory lace pumps because my dress is an Oleg Cassini lace fit and flare). 

Are you wearing heels for your outdoor wedding?
How high are your heels?
Are you wearing them as is or using those little heel cap things (I wanna say they're called solemates)?

Re: Are You Wearing Heels in Grass??

• @hoppersgirl25

I am not having outside wedding but will be taking pictures in grassy areas. I plan on wearing my heels. My heels are about 2.5 or 3 inches high and will be leaving them as is.

My sister however, DID have an outdoor wedding on grass and she wore her heels the entire time. If I remember correctly her heels were about 4 inches high and she wore them as it.
  • I'm wearing my heels as is. They're about 2.5 inches, but they are a pretty chunky heel, so I don't think I'll have issues sinking.

Anniversary
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Ask at your salon--since they sell thingies now to prevent heels from sinking in grass, it's a more viable option than it used to be. But I'd still want some real-world feedback.
    I will probably go with flats or wedges though. Easier to get around in and remember you'll be on your feet all day.
  • Thanks ladies!  I think I'm going to go with heels, but probably pick a lower heel (like 2.5 or 3 inches).  I mean, my parents will be walking with me in and my FI (ahh he'll be my H then!) will be walking me out, so I will have some support, too, in case I end up getting a higher heel.  I've just never actually seen anyone wearing those plastic things so I don't know how they really look/ feel/ if they work.  To me, even though the site says they're discrete, they look a little weird in pictures.  And @kitty8403 I picked out a pair of flats for when my feet get tired of heels!  They match the kind of heels I want to get, but I'm waiting for my dress to ship to my house to be sure they're the same color.

• I had an outdoor wedding and wore heels (2.5 inches), but the ceremony was on concrete. If I were you, I'd buy the heels you want and practice walking in the grass. If it's a pain in the ass and/or you think you'd be more focused on your footing than the moment, get something else (wedges or flats) for the ceremony. You can always change into the heels for the reception. I think the important thing is being able to focus on the moment without thinking about anything else.

FWIW, no one really sees your shoes anyway if you have a long gown. I had bright, kermit green heels and I think 3 people noticed them. 
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915 great ideas!  I think I'll definitely try em out in the grass at home first.  Maybe that will break them in a little, too.  And I can definitely switch into them at the reception, too.  Especially for our first dance: I'd love to be in heels for that.

• I'm getting married on grass but I haven't picked my shoes yet. I'll probably wear flats though because that will work better with my dress. If you want to wear heels I'd go with what Southernbelle said.
  • I'm getting married in grass and the idea of not wearing heels never crossed my mind. In fact I think FI would be confused to hear I bought anything else. He actually was the one who found solemates after we went to my mom's for Thanksgiving and he watched my boots sink into the grass. 
  • I'm getting married outside on grass (I think, still have to nail down the venue) and I will for sure be wearing heels, the higher the better! I think its all down to personal preference. I have seen pictures on pintrest of plywood hearts cut out and place on the grass for the ladies to stand on.

• I think it depends on a couple of things--looks like you're getting married in the summer, so if it's not particularly wet in your area, you might not have much of an issue with sinking while walking (just while standing).  In that case, having pavers for you and your girls to stand on is an easy solution, and you can find a lot of decent-looking ones (or just hope for long grass!).
  • I think the stones/pavers to stand on are adorable.  I've only ever seen pictures of those little heal protectors, but the clear ones seem like they would be an option.  Personally I'm wearing wedges, because our entire day will be spent on the grass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was in an outdoor wedding this past November. We all wore the heelmates. We all had long dresses so no on even saw our shoes. We sunk a lot during rehearsal dinner, so I ran to David's Bridal before the wedding and got them for everyone.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm having wood placers for my bridesmaids and I to stand on, once we make it down the aisle.
  • Wedges may be good for the grass so you don't sink. They do make really cute wedges at Charlotte rouse and who knows they may be more comfortable.
  • My heels were fairly wide and not too tall. I had to have heels as my antique used dress could not be hemmed due to all the cutouts, pearls and detail at the bottom. The venue was not grass but gravel. I was worried about the ceremony so I got an aisle runner for that. The wind made it challenging for it to stay down so my friend who were decorating used left over favors that were jordan almond flowers as weights.
  • I ended up actually buying these the other day:
    I wanted to get lace peep toe heels, but they were near impossible to find without chancing it online and dropping $100 on shoes no-one would even see.  These are super easy to walk in, with like a 3 inch heel.  I found them at Von Maur on clearance for only $19!  And my dress shipped to my house TODAY (eek!), so I tried it on with my shoes (FI is at work).  They are the perfect height for my dress!  Now I won't need to get my dress hemmed :)

• I have Christian Louboutin heels that I will be wearing!! There is an cool little thing that slips over your heel and makes it easier to walk in grass! Usually all bridal shops sell them or know where to get them!
  • I ended up actually buying these the other day:
    I wanted to get lace peep toe heels, but they were near impossible to find without chancing it online and dropping $100 on shoes no-one would even see.  These are super easy to walk in, with like a 3 inch heel.  I found them at Von Maur on clearance for only $19!  And my dress shipped to my house TODAY (eek!), so I tried it on with my shoes (FI is at work).  They are the perfect height for my dress!  Now I won't need to get my dress hemmed :)
    @hoppersgirl25  I want to see your dress!! You mentioned earlier that it is an Oleg Cassini lace fit & flare... do we have the same dress?   Mine is CWG377
    Yes we do!  We're dress twins!  

• I'm getting married on the lawn of a golf club and wearing my 4" heels. They're setting up a segment of dance floor at the altar for us all to stand on so we don't sink. Just keep the weight on the front of your foot and you'll be fine!

• I'm getting married in the grass (and have an Oleg Cassini dress) too! I'm planning on wearing wedges, even though there are so many  cute heels out there. Wedges will just eliminate the stress of possibly sinking into the ground.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I will either be in sandals or barefoot! Partially because it's on a property in the mountains with dirt and wood on the ground, but also because FI and I are the same height. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards