Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I bought an eBay China dress!

It was $20! I figured it was a good gamble. So it took 3 weeks to get here (CRAZY!!!) and it's measured to me I guess (I sent in my measurements) but idk if I measured right because I was trying to make sure there was enough room. Either way, I love it!

Re: I bought an eBay China dress!

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Double post :/ It's going to need a little alteration. The straps are too long! But my grandma can do that :) and I still have jeans on underneath so I think it'll flow better with proper undergarments lol
  • Options
    Everyone always asks ya know and I was curious. So I like it. One good experience! A very very cheap dress.... Pretty well made :)
  • Options
    @clairekundinger

That's good. :) 

When is your wedding? I want to see pictures of you in it on your wedding day. Lol
  • Options
    Not till 2015! I know it sounds way early lol but I didn't know the dress would come so soon and if I hated it I would have to order a dress here and if have had to start that in juneish so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time for failure lol. Plus how often do you see a 20 dollar wedding dress??
  • Options
    your one of the lucky ones and very few get a dress as advertised. gl with all your wedding planning
  • Options
    Not till 2015! I know it sounds way early lol but I didn't know the dress would come so soon and if I hated it I would have to order a dress here and if have had to start that in juneish so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time for failure lol. Plus how often do you see a 20 dollar wedding dress??

@clairekundinger

This is true..

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Yikes...I don't know. The lining of the cups is showing, and the back looks really cheap and poorly constructed to me. The fabric almost looks see-through, so you'd have to wear a slip or a petticoat. I'm not trying to be nasty at all, obviously it was only 20 bucks so if you decide not to use it, no harm no foul! I'd just be hesitant to wear something that looks cheap on my big day. I'm sure you can find a budget dress of a better quality at a local department store.

I am impressed that it got to you in 7 days, though! That's nothing short of a miracle.

Sounds like you've got plenty of time to play around with other dresses and ideas, too. :)
  • Options

Yikes...I don't know. The lining of the cups is showing, and the back looks really cheap and poorly constructed to me. The fabric almost looks see-through, so you'd have to wear a slip or a petticoat. I'm not trying to be nasty at all, obviously it was only 20 bucks so if you decide not to use it, no harm no foul! I'd just be hesitant to wear something that looks cheap on my big day. I'm sure you can find a budget dress of a better quality at a local department store.

I am impressed that it got to you in 7 days, though! That's nothing short of a miracle.

Sounds like you've got plenty of time to play around with other dresses and ideas, too. :)
    It's not tied up right and it def is a little big! It's not see though at all :/ I'm having a hard time understanding how you see that. I wish I did because I would hate to have an emperors new clothes moment at my wedding!!!
  • Options
    Is there some sort of white mini dress under there? Or is it just winkled? 

I agree, I think it looks like a $20 dress. If it really isn't a priority for you, I'd take it to a good seamstress and see if they could make some fixes and fit it well. It's not like you don't have time. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I know you probably don't want to hear it, but another vote for the material looking poor quality.  :(

Your wedding is going to be one of the most important days of your life and you are going to be in the spotlight.  Do you feel comfortable wearing that dress or are you going to look back in 5 or 10 years and regret it?  While you may never wear the dress again, you'll always see it in photos.

If you post your budget, many girls here may be able to point you to dress ideas in your budget.  Also, you mentioned your wedding is in 2015.  That would give you plenty of time to save up a decent dress budget. 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I feel like you could do a lot better.... i don't know- it looks like a nightgown to me....

Edited for poor grammer
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP's that the quality isn't that good.  The material looks super cheap and the stitching on the cups looks off, the whole dress looks like it wasn't put together very well.  Not only is the back lop-sided the seams are all puckered… This was very poorly sewn.  I've been making clothes and dresses since I was 10, and that dress looks like some of my really early "Creations."  It's your wedding, you don't have to spend a ton of money, but you AT LEAST deserve a dress that was properly made with decent materials…   I would save up and get a better dress, even if it's the exact same design, just made better.  You definitely got what you paid for here.  
  • Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    now that i see the back on my desktop there is this ruffly thing at the top by where the zipper is whats up with that and the rhinestones on the straps of the dress in the back look funny. and the rhinestones along the back are also placed uneven.
    and looking at the front i can also see the material is a tad seethrough and it looks like you can see your legs from the fabric,

i am not sure where you are from but can i suggest googling bridal consigments in your area,

also check out bridepower.com its the website for vows bridal from the hit show i found the gown on tlc i think you can order the dress online. and they sell designer at huge discounts

also try calling every bridal salon near you tell them what you wan to spend and if they have any discontinued samples they are looking to get rid of

also you could  consult with a seamstress bring the dress with you and ask her how much would it cost to make the same dress with higher quality materials
  • Options
    For a corset-back dress, it should have way more inner construction to help you look and feel your best on your wedding day. This is basically just a lace-up back that's making everything look wrinkly and wonky. I agree with PPs on the fabric and construction; if I saw this walking down the aisle, I'd assume you made it yourself. I totally get that you only spent $20 and wanted to see what you could get out of it, but here's the thing... You're going to be wearing that dress ALL. DAY. (and night). You're going to be photographed in it, and you're going to look back on those photos for the rest of your life. The dress is also one of the few things that other people will remember years later. It should highlight you and all of the wonderful things about you and let you shine, rather than detract and distract from you. I strongly encourage you to find a new dress. If budget is an issue, there are so many discounted options out there, as others have mentioned. Please reconsider.

• Options
    Eh its not that bad. Proper undergarments (I'm assuming that is your bra showing in the front picture not the actual cups) and some alterations to make it fit better and I think it will be ok. Will it look like a designer gown? Probably not but I don't think you will look terribly sloppy in it either.
  • Options
    The back isn't uneven it's just how it's tied. It def needs some stuff but i do already have amazing wedding undergarments and we will see how it looks once all that is on!
  • Options
    The lighting also totally plays with the first picture... I really don't think it's see through!

I'm zero offended though. I appreciate all the feedback even the girls who don't like the dress. I'm stoked about the dress. If I decide not to wear it for the wedding, I'll wear it somewhere else! But I'm going to pull it out next weekend and try it on with all the undergarments and see what I think then.
  • Options
    As long as you are happy and feel beautiful in it that is all that matters! 
  • Options

It's not tied up right and it def is a little big! It's not see though at all :/ I'm having a hard time understanding how you see that. I wish I did because I would hate to have an emperors new clothes moment at my wedding!!!
    @clairekundinger

1. If you're happy with it go with it! 
    2. There's only 1 spot where I thought it was see through. I cant tell if its the light making a shadow but it seemed like maybe I could see your thigh outline or something. I circled it on the picture in black.
    3. The red circle shows what I am assuming @laureneliz87 meant by the lining of the cup.
    4. Again, if you happy with it go with it :)
  • Options
    Hmm... I mean, yes ultimately it only matters how you feel in the dress, but I have to echo others' sentiments that perhaps you should consider a different dress. Even if you go with something else, which I personally think you should, $20 isn't a lot to have lost. At least you gave it a shot, right? 
  • Options

I agree with everyone else, but again, it was $20.00. It looks like a $20.00 dress, so you got what you paid for.  I don't think it's horrible, but I do think the fabric looks a little seethrough or sheer.  I also think the folds across the chest look uneven and the back doesn't look right. I can tell where it's tied uneven, but the draping, even when it's tied correctly, still looks a little "off".

But, if you are happy with it, and you are comfortable wearing it on your wedding day, then more power to you.  And again, this isn't said to be offensive, but I wouldn't except a whole lot of ohhhhhhhhs and ahhhhhhhs about it.  It is a very simple, somewhat nightgown shaped dress.  You have a great bust and waist, from what I can tell.  I can imagine something else being much more flattering on you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards