Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Handfasting?

Ok, So neither of us nor our families are Pagan, I'm Mormon and he's Baptist. But He is Irish, and he likes celtic things. So I was thinking about adding in a handfasting during the ceremony. Something simple, I don't want it to be to invoved but I think it's pretty and could be just a little different than the typical ceremony. 
My only problems are that people might think we're trying to perform a pagan ritual (No offence to anyone who is, we just aren't) and where to fit it in the ceremony, when to do the rings, vows etc. Opinions? Ideas? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Handfasting?

• Options
    @BuckarooChaser

I don't think people would think that. I would add it in after the exchanging of the rings or before. It might help take away any "pagan ritual" thoughts people might have if you do it right before or after exchanging rings. 

Ex: Vows, rings, handfasting, etc

• Options
    My FI is Irish, and we are planning to incorporate a handfasting into our ceremony. We plan to say our own vows right before the handfasting and following it immediately with the ring exchange so that it falls where the lighting of the unity candle would. Most people that I know only know of handfasting from movies like "Braveheart" so don't really equate it with Pagan or Wiccan rituals. I don't think it will be a problem, but if you're still worried, you can always add a little blurb about handfastings at Celtic tradition in your wedding program.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I'm with you @BuckarooChaser. FI and his family are Irish and we wanted to incorporate celtic things into the wedding. We thought of doing a handfasting also, but because it is traditionally viewed as a Pagen ritual, I wasn't sure if out officiant, who is also my BIL, would be willing to do it. I did some research on Celtic wedding traditions and found one called Celtic Blessing Stones. As guests come into the ceremony space, they take a stone (you can put a basket of them by the programs). They are to hold it in their hand during the ceremony. Instead of lighting a Unity Candle, the officiant tells the guests to hold the stone tightly in their hand and make a wish for the newlyweds to help strengthen them and their marriage. Everyone then adds their stone to a vase and the bride and groom can keep the vase filled with wishes (stones) for their marriage.

I loved this idea so we will be doing it.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards