Wedding Reception Forum

Thoughts on reception food? Apps instead of dinner?

Hello there! I would love some feedback on an idea I have for my wedding reception in August of 2014. I was thinking about doing 'appetizer stations' rather than a formal dinner or buffet line. It would be 25 to 30 appetizers organized by a theme of some sort. The 'wedding theme' is 1940's speak easy: dark colors, lots of candles and a few high top cocktail tables intermingled with traditional tables. I'm curious about people's thoughts on this idea. Do you think guests would be disappointed by not having a traditional sit down dinner? Is it too confusing not to have a specific seating chart? I'd really love your feedback!! 

Thank you!

Re: Thoughts on reception food? Apps instead of dinner?

• Hello there! I would love some feedback on an idea I have for my wedding reception in August of 2014. I was thinking about doing 'appetizer stations' rather than a formal dinner or buffet line. It would be 25 to 30 appetizers organized by a theme of some sort. The 'wedding theme' is 1940's speak easy: dark colors, lots of candles and a few high top cocktail tables intermingled with traditional tables. I'm curious about people's thoughts on this idea. Do you think guests would be disappointed by not having a traditional sit down dinner? Is it too confusing not to have a specific seating chart? I'd really love your feedback!! 

Thank you!

As long as you have enough food to constitute a meal, your plan sounds fine.  It will probably be more expensive to do this appetizer dinner though, as that is more work for the caterers.  They need to make all those little pieces of food.

Also, no seating chart is fine.  But make sure that you have at least 1 seat for every butt.  If you are not doing a seating chart, its recommended to have extra seating available as well.  No one will want to be standing at a cocktail table all night.

• Thank you! I agree, it would be unfortunate for someone to not have a seat. Good idea on adding extra seating 'just in case'. The caterers are close friends and giving us an amazing deal, so my thought was to give them some creative freedom on the menu. The idea is to allow guests to eat at their leisure rather than have the traditional dinner hour and organized meal. I'm just not sure if it is an executable concept. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Hello there! I would love some feedback on an idea I have for my wedding reception in August of 2014. I was thinking about doing 'appetizer stations' rather than a formal dinner or buffet line. It would be 25 to 30 appetizers organized by a theme of some sort. The 'wedding theme' is 1940's speak easy: dark colors, lots of candles and a few high top cocktail tables intermingled with traditional tables. I'm curious about people's thoughts on this idea. Do you think guests would be disappointed by not having a traditional sit down dinner? Is it too confusing not to have a specific seating chart? I'd really love your feedback!! 

Thank you!

As long as you have enough food to constitute a meal, your plan sounds fine.  It will probably be more expensive to do this appetizer dinner though, as that is more work for the caterers.  They need to make all those little pieces of food.

Also, no seating chart is fine.  But make sure that you have at least 1 seat for every butt.  If you are not doing a seating chart, its recommended to have extra seating available as well.  No one will want to be standing at a cocktail table all night.

All of this.  If you arent having a sitting charts you need to have 10% more chairs/ tables to avoid couples and families from having to divide you at dinner,

Also, speakeasies were around from 1920- 1933 when prohibition was the law. After prohibition was repealed they almost completely disappeared. So you might need to modfiy your "theme."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It was a mis-type. haha I meant 1920's speak easy is the inspiration. 
  • ALSO, I think it would be ok to have some lounge-style seating set up too. Some traditional tables, some high-top bar tables with stools, some couches and love seats with coffee and end tables. It could be really cool!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ALSO, I think it would be ok to have some lounge-style seating set up too. Some traditional tables, some high-top bar tables with stools, some couches and love seats with coffee and end tables. It could be really cool!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love appetizers and I would be fine eating those all night. Having said that though, if I'm drinking and there are appetizers available all night I am going to eat ALOT of them! Make sure you have way more than what you would have per person for just like a cocktail hour.
  • Excellent. Thank you ladies!! Very helpful!
  • If you have lots of appetizers, your plan sounds fine.

I'd still at least assign tables so nobody has to walk around looking for someplace to sit down.  Especially when there is no plated meal, this can get really annoying.
  • I also wouldn't plan on people eating 'at their leisure'. They will all be hungry if it's mealtime, and especially if they're drinking. They will probably all be ready to eat as soon as the stations open up, so people will be eating at the same time. Then they'll move on to dessert and dancing.
  • I also wouldn't plan on people eating 'at their leisure'. They will all be hungry if it's mealtime, and especially if they're drinking. They will probably all be ready to eat as soon as the stations open up, so people will be eating at the same time. Then they'll move on to dessert and dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards