July 2014 Weddings
Options

XP: Caught off guard (could turn into religious conversation or get tense)

A friend and I were out to lunch today and we were talking about weddings and marriage in general when she said something that caught me off guard and I had no idea how to act or what to say. She said that a couple can stand in front of the church and go through the ceremony and be pronounced husband and wife by the pastor but that they are not considered legally married or fully married in the eyes of God unless the consummate their marriage and that it must take place the night of the wedding. She said if it is done the next morning they will not be considered fully married since it didn't happen on their wedding night.

Would you have been caught off guard?
How would you have responded?

Re: XP: Caught off guard (could turn into religious conversation or get tense)

• Options
    Looked at her in total shock and said "well I guess I won't be fully married then!" Knowing my fianceè there will be no consummating on our wedding night. Getting a bunch of cowboys together with liquor is not a good thing sometimes. But seriously who says that stuff?!  
  • Options
    Looked at her in total shock and said "well I guess I won't be fully married then!" Knowing my fianceè there will be no consummating on our wedding night. Getting a bunch of cowboys together with liquor is not a good thing sometimes. But seriously who says that stuff?!  

@mrswerner2014

We may not be "fully married" then either. Lol. I know how hard my FI parties at weddings we've been too so I can only imagine what it will be like at ours.

I agree that cowboys + alcohol does not always equal a smart idea but oh well. Lol

• Options
    I think legally in some places its easier to get an annullment if you haven't consumated the marriage...but that being said, that's a RIDICULOUS pressure to put on someone...take your time..that's the whole point of the honeymoon! I know lots of couples who didn't consumate it the night of for a variety of reasons...
  • Options
    Wow! That was a little forward... I would say don't worry about it! If it happens it happens and if not you won't be any "less" married when it does!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards