Chit Chat
Options

Weird favor (maybe)?

hlvonbhlvonb member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
edited December 2013 in Chit Chat

Hello ladies,

I was wondering if you could take a moment to look at the wedding website my fiancé and I created and give feedback (misspelled words, weird phrasing, etc).

Re: Weird favor (maybe)?

• Options
    I didn't notice anything wrong. You two are a cute couple.
  • Options
    It looks great and you two are adorable! 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    hlvonb said:

Hello ladies,

I was wondering if you could take a moment to look at the wedding website my fiancé and I created and give feedback (misspelled words, weird phrasing, etc).

*Stuck in Box:

1) EEEEK. I think you NEED to get rid of the whole Frequently Asked Questions tab. The 'info' is very condescending. 

2) Why do you need a honeymoon tab? The picture makes me gag. 

3) I feel like it's a slap to parents to list them as 'other'

4) Why do you need to list names, then pictures?

5) I feel like a photo album is really over the top? Aren't your guests people who already know you?

• Options
    You guys are cute!

In one place, you said dinner 6 pm, in the FAQs, you said dinner at 5:30 pm. There's a few places I would add commas. And the ceremony, is it performed by Ben's grandfather And a Pastor OR by grandfather, Pastor xxx? For his parents, they're listed as Other. Why not just say MOG and MOH? Other is a bit weird, like after thoughts.

It is pretty informative! GL.
  • Options
    Overall I like your website; you two make a very cute couple! That said, the FAQs rub me the wrong way and several are redundant, addressing things you speak to in other parts of the website. Personally I don't think they are necessary. Also, under your engagement section you misspelled botanical garden; it doesn't have an 'e' in it. Good luck with the rest of your planning!
  • Options
    I agree with getting rid of the FAQs. I'm assuming the listing of "other' is the website's default, not the OP.  If you don't have info for the honeymoon, just remove the tab for now; you can always add it in later. And the picture is a little weird.

I see no problem with the photo album. Many of our guests for our wedding only know one of us. I think the photo album is cute, but I would put it at the bottom along with the registries. 

I would also remove all the text you have in the registry tab. Just have the links and that is it. There is no reason to add, our names are spelled blah blah blah since you have the links right there.

• Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    edited December 2013
    jdluvr06 said:
    I didn't notice anything wrong. You two are a cute couple.
    @jdluvr06  and afox007

Thanks!
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    edited December 2013
    hlvonb said:

Hello ladies,

*Stuck in Box:

1) EEEEK. I think you NEED to get rid of the whole Frequently Asked Questions tab. The 'info' is very condescending. 

5) I feel like a photo album is really over the top? Aren't your guests people who already know you?

@misssunshine17

1. I wasn't planning on adding it until my fiance and I got asked those questions about 40 times already.... I will talk to fiance about taking it down tomorrow

2. Not really sure why we added that. Lol. I think it was already one of the tabs on there and we just went with it.

3. We want to add / have our parents on there but they don't have a label for them. It's either Maid / Matron of Honor, Bridemaid, FG, RB, Best Man, Groomsmen, usher or other....

4. We don't NEED to. We thought it would be nice to put a picture with the name.

5. Most of them are but there are some guests on my side who have never met him and some on his side who have never met me. Also there are some guests who haven't seen him since he was 17 (live a long way away)

EDITED: Hit reply before I was actually done replying.
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    edited December 2013
    EverAfer said:
    You guys are cute! Thanks! In one place, you said dinner 6 pm, in the FAQs, you said dinner at 5:30 pm. Oops I didn't even notice that. I will go fix that. There's a few places I would add commas. Where would you add commas? And the ceremony, is it performed by Ben's grandfather And a Pastor OR by grandfather, Pastor xxx? The marriage right part of the ceremony will be performed by his grandfather and the rest of the ceremony will be performed by Pastor R. For his parents, they're listed as Other. Why not just say MOG and MOH? Other is a bit weird, like after thoughts. There is not an option for MOG or anything like that. It's either Maid / Matron of Honor, Bridesmaid, Flower Girl, Ring Bearer, Best Man, Groomsman or Usher or other.  It is pretty informative! GL. Thanks!
    @EverAfter

See my comments in red above. :)
  • Options
    Abbyb987 said:
    Overall I like your website; you two make a very cute couple! That said, the FAQs rub me the wrong way and several are redundant, addressing things you speak to in other parts of the website. Personally I don't think they are necessary. Also, under your engagement section you misspelled botanical garden; it doesn't have an 'e' in it. Good luck with the rest of your planning!
    @Abbyb987

Thanks! I will go fix the spelling mistake and I will talk to fiance about taking out the FAQ.
  • Options
    laurynm84 said:
    I agree with getting rid of the FAQs. I will talk to my fiance in the morning about taking them out. I'm assuming the listing of "other' is the website's default, not the OP. Correct, I was not provided with a parents or mother of the groom / bride option. If you don't have info for the honeymoon, just remove the tab for now; you can always add it in later. Good point. And the picture is a little weird.

I see no problem with the photo album. Many of our guests for our wedding only know one of us. I think the photo album is cute, but I would put it at the bottom along with the registries. Yes I explained to a previous poster that there are people on each side who don't know me or my fiance. I will move it lower though.

I would also remove all the text you have in the registry tab. Just have the links and that is it. There is no reason to add, our names are spelled blah blah blah since you have the links right there. I tried removing the extra but then for some reason the links don't work :(
    @laurynm84

Please see my comments in blue above 
  • Options
    I hate, hate, HATE when wedding websites are written in the third-person singular. You're writing it about you and your FI -- use first person, please. I will change this. I thought it was a bit weird but fiance really liked it. Lol

I do not care about your attendants -- I don't want to see photos of them or read mini-biographies of them. True...

I think the photos are over the top and too many. I agree that the FAQ section comes off as condescending. We added the FAQ because we were asked those questions about 40 times already.

I co-sign everything @misssunshine17 said. 

Take this for what it's worth, but your whole website is "too" -- too long, too cutesy, too wordy. Brevity is the soul of wit, and if I were a guest, I wouldn't read one-quarter of that before just giving up and having a drink. Lol. Ok.

But that's only my opinion, so take from it what you will. Thanks!
    @HisGirlFriday13

Please see my comments above in purple
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    hlvonb said:
    hlvonb said:

Hello ladies,

*Stuck in Box:

@misssunshine17

1. I wasn't planning on adding it until my fiance and I got asked those questions about 40 times already.... I will talk to fiance about taking it down tomorrow If people ask, you buck up and answer graciously. Writing it out is super tacky. 

2. Not really sure why we added that. Lol. I think it was already one of the tabs on there and we just went with it. The picture is really gross and you don't even have any info to share, not that people care. And if they do, they'll ask you personally.

3. We want to add / have our parents on there but they don't have a label for them. It's either Maid / Matron of Honor, Bridemaid, FG, RB, Best Man, Groomsmen, usher or other....Can you just leave it blank? Other just sounds rude to me. 

4. We don't NEED to. We thought it would be nice to put a picture with the name. No one really cares.

5. Most of them are but there are some guests on my side who have never met him and some on his side who have never met me. Also there are some guests who haven't seen him since he was 17 (live a long way away) Since there are people you both don't know, I would really re-evaluate how you're coming across with this website. As a stranger, you look obsessed with yourself and it's really over the top. 

I'm with @HisGirlFriday13, the third person sounds pompous since everyone knows you wrote the website. Also, it really is too much info, too many pictures, too about you. 

EDITED: Hit reply before I was actually done replying.

• Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    I agree with Sunshine and Friday on their comments. The biggest problem I would have with it as a guest (aside from the FAQs)  is it has way too much information. It's too many pages and too much info on those pages.

I don't think it's necessary to provide pictures of your wedding party in addition to their names. The Knot's layout for adding the pictures and names is poorly done. There are ways to do pictures of your wedding party on a website that would allow a person to skim over them but not at the knot. You have to just keep scrolling and it's annoying. Most people don't care to see pictures but I am a visual person and actual enjoy the pictures on wedding websites. Just not through the layout the knot provides.
  • Options
    I also agree that you should get rid of the FAQ page. Especially the questions about what to wear, can I bring a date, are children invited, and do I need to RSVP. You are treating your guests like they are idiots or presuming they will be rude and try to bring people who are not invited. If you do get these kind of questions from guests you just need to graciously answer them individually. I would not risk offending the people who know how to RSVP for a wedding and that the invitation is addressed to those who are invited.

For the hotel page, I would also just prefer to just say something like these are a few hotels we recommend. No need to tell guests they are free to stay elsewhere. I also don't really care for the suitable for any budget phrase.

For the registry page you should be able to make a single world clickable. Like write "Bed Bath and Beyond" and then hyperlink that to your registry so you don't have to have the whole long web address on your website. I also agree with previous posters that you don't need to tell guests how to look up your names on the website or how they are spelled. It is likely they will know one of your last names already or will have a wedding invitation to refer to by the time they go to buy gifts.

I like looking at pictures so those don't bother me so much, but you will probably have people who think it is a little over the top. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I wanted to be honest about what some of your guests will likely be thinking when they look at the website.

This thread also reminds me of this onion article.
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/couple-thoughtfully-puts-up-wedding-website-for-fr,33837/
  • Options
    Also you just gave out your wedding party's entire first and last names out on the internet. Not sure how they would feel about that but I would not be okay with a friend doing this...
  • Options
    Just to add to since I didn't see it anywhere: In your registry tab, you don't need to provide the links since it auto links you by clicking the images at the bottom.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.

Also, what's a head groomsman?
  • Options
    aefitz29 said:
    Also you just gave out your wedding party's entire first and last names out on the internet. Not sure how they would feel about that but I would not be okay with a friend doing this...
    and their pictures along with their first and last names...
  • Options
    I like this thread because now I am going back and changing some stuff on my site based off of everyone's feedback.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    aefitz29 said:

@aefitz29

They're fine with it. I asked before doing so.

• Options
    Another vote to get rid of the FAQs.  Most of those questions imply your guests are dumb.  I also think listing "Heidi and Ben at SummerFest"....etc is overkill.  As PP mentioned, your guests should know who you are!  

Same thing with registry info....remove the comment about your names.  Your guests know your names.

Remove the ratings of the hotels and don't include the line about "suitable for any budget".

I am also curious what a head groomsman is.  I have never heard of this before.

I would not keep this webpage up on this forum.  You have lots of personal info....names of friends, your email and phone number, etc.  
  • Options
    @JoanE2012

I took the link out but I can't remove the post. Also, other people have quoted so the link is in there.
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha

Can you please remove this? 

The save the dates were sent earlier this evening so this no longer needs to be up. Also, as JoanE2012 mentioned, there is some personal information.
  • Options
    I'm not going to give you any feedback on the site simply because it's your business and everyone else has given you plenty to think about. I just can't believe you thought posting so much personal information on here was a good idea. I strongly urge you to proceed with caution in the future, once you put things out here (the internet), it never goes away. I know I would be very upset if a bride put my full name and photo on an unprotected website and then shared it with strangers. I get that you say you asked them, but this took it a step farther.

We're all strangers on here, and while is a super helpful place to get advice and vent, personal details need to be kept to a minimum, for your protection.  I think your best bet is to set a password for your site now that its out there, or if that's not an option, you should probably start over with a site that will let you do so and delete all of the previous info.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, @hvlonb I took out any mentions that included your wedding website link. There's a lot of great advice on here for anyone else working on their website.
  • Options

@KnotPorscha

Thanks! That was a good idea :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards