Chit Chat
Options

Aspiring Brides from Pinterest

PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited December 2013 in Chit Chat
I know we have posted about this ad nauseam but I saw a ton of wedding pins and engagement ring posts by friends who are not in relationships. I suppose the holidays bring out the crazy in some people.

Ladies I am all for dreaming but please don't pin wedding boards when you are NOT engaged it makes you look like a crazy person. If I was a dude and saw some girl I was dating two weeks was posting for a wedding I would run for the hills.

Special Note***If you could also please cut out the 'ring I am hoping for from future Mr. Somebody' and 'if he doesn't propose like this I'm having a do-over' that would be great.

Re: Aspiring Brides from Pinterest

• Options
    emmyg65 said:
    Or you know, just make a secret board. 
    RIGHT?!
  • Options
    I really don't understand planning so much of your wedding before you're engaged or in a relationship. And when I see stuff like that, I actually feel pity for the girl. Because IMO, she must be either desperate or she only cares about having a big party where she's the center of attention. 
  • Options
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    OMFG. She needs a hobby. 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    elBecko said:
    I had a fb friend who was so upset because she found the perfect wedding dress on Pinterest and she knew her parents wouldn't pay for it because it was too expensive. Her entire wedding was planned on Pinterest, down to the table linens. When I saw that facebook rant about her parents "ruining her wedding vision", I immediately de-friended her. She's been single for the past 4 years, and her delusional wedding planning really bothered me. 
    Wow...she was upset over a dress that couldn't be purchased for a wedding she wasn't even having? Oh. My. Goodness.

Number 1: Know your financial lane.

Number 2: Great Scott! Special snowflake delusional crazy pants.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I had to had a pintrest for my bestfriend's wedding since I was a bridesmaid  (we had to post and help her find wedding ideas to suit her theme) but I never ever made my own wedding board, it was just disrespectful and not right since I was not engaged then, why take the fun out of my friend's wedding and be selfish? Just not right

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Did your MOH agree to be the point person for all of this or did you volunteer her?

Those seem really over - the - top and micro-managing. If I were a BM and got something like that, I'd be offended. I wouldn't tell you to you face, but I would seriously side - eye you.

I'd also think I was in for one hell of a ride with this wedding, because you seemed awfully set to become a bridezilla.

I am sure no one told you this was too much, because they're your friends and family, but it really is...wow.

ETA: dammit, I meant to type that on the link JCBride shared.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options

Did your MOH agree to be the point person for all of this or did you volunteer her? Those seem really over - the - top and micro-managing. If I were a BM and got something like that, I'd be offended. I wouldn't tell you to you face, but I would seriously side - eye you. I'd also think I was in for one hell of a ride with this wedding, because you seemed awfully set to become a bridezilla. I am sure no one told you this was too much, because they're your friends and family, but it really is...wow. ETA: dammit, I meant to type that on the link JCBride shared.
    HA. <3
  • Options
    Why can't people just ACT NORMAL! I mean I won't lie..I totally pinned ideas for my wedding. ...but the are MENU and HAIR STYLES and VENUES ...not the "dream dress" (tho I did pin the dress I got because I like looking at it) and "rules of proposing to me"
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    oh I've pinned pictures I like and a lot of lists pertaining to processional, timelines, things no one tells the bride, etc. but that was after I got engaged. Not before.

If you get around the trendy 'everyone is doing this SQUEEE cute burlap' stuff there is some helpful stuff in there.
  • Options
    I never pinned wedding stuff before I was engaged, but I don't get my panties in a bunch because some people do. Who cares if they make it public or private? If it annoys you, you don't have to follow them. 
  • Options
    I'll admit to having a wedding board and not being engaged. But, I was engaged before and I started it then. I just left it all up. I still like the ideas and a lot of them are ideas I could corrupt and use for other parties and events. When I am in a relationship again, he'll know that I was engaged before, and he may not even know about or care about Pinterest. I have a board for bling too, but the vast majority of it is museum-type pieces, nothing realistic at all. And I have a separate board for tacky wedding things, ugly wedding things, and etiquette failures that I keep as a PSA. :)
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    I admit that I have a secret "Future Wedding" board on Pinterest, but purely for inspiration ie. colours, pretty cakes, etc.  I also have another not-secret board (why is there a limit on the number of secret boards?) of wedding pictures that I really like the style/pose/feel of for when we talk to a photographer I can kind of explain what I like. 
  • Options
    I also had a wedding board before we were engaged, but we knew we were going to be soon. Also, I just like looking at pretty pictures and wedding stuff. And I enjoy planning things and putting different stuff together. Heck, I'm married now and I still think about different wedding ideas! Different strokes for different folks, and if it really bothers you, unfollow that person or that board.
  • Options
    OP- I'm with you. I purposely didn't allow myself to make a wedding board or look at anything wedding before I got engaged. Because I really think it takes all the fun OUT of being engaged, you know? Now that I am, I get to look at all these fun ideas, what fun would it have been if I got the ring and said ok I already have everything decided. 

• Options
    edited December 2013
    It's not bothersome I just think it's a bit crazy pants. But I wasn't one of those girls who was into wedding planning until I got engaged. If you're a wedding planner, helping someone, bridesmaid, mother of the bride etc. I don't side eye that. If you just enjoy weddings and want to pin about them well then to each their own.

If you post this stuff:  'ring I am hoping for from future Mr. Somebody' and 'if he doesn't propose like this I'm having a do-over' that would be great'

Then I think you're materialistic and your priorities suck.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Dear double post Batman!
  • Options

My FI turned into a bit of a Pinterest junkie a few months ago (after seeing some of the things I was finding on there).  But his pages are all guns, BBQ's, tools and food.  And he has a page for things that he thinks I would like. 

I didn't even have a Pinterest account until I was engaged and started wedding planning. I avoided that site like the plague because everyone was so addicted to it.  But, after I got engaged my sister kept sending me links to it with wedding ideas, so I finally caved and fell into the Pinterest black hole.  But even now my wedding boards are set as secret.  I want to keep the wedding ideas private so people don't know every detail before they even get to the wedding. I also didn't want my FI to see my ideas for my dress, hair, or other things related to how I will look.  I want him to be completely in the dark on how I will look walking down the aisle.  What fun is it to pick out decorations and stuff if everyone can see it ahead of time and knows what to expect?

• Options
    Before I got engaged, I made a secret board. I'm glad I did, because I found some really great pins I have yet to come across again.

Surprisingly, I do find some awesome ideas/websites/pins from aspiring brides, so I don't mind it too much. The ones with 500+ pins filled with obnoxious pictures are what bug me (like you mentioned, the "do over" ones if fiance's don't get it right).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I will admit that I started pinning wedding stuff before FI and I got engaged, but I did wait until after the subject of marriage came up between us, and I made the board secret. It was mostly paper flowers and double-exposure photography though.

I do think it's a little crazypants for people who aren't in a relationship to pin wedding stuff, especially if it's all "OMG it has to be exactly this or it's not happening!". Semi-related, a couple of years ago I bumped into the mom of a girl I went to school with, and she told me she had dreamed she was going to meet Mr Right that month so she went right out and bought a wedding dress - AFAIK she's still single.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    I barely put a thing publicly on pintrest... I want everything to be a surprise for my guests right down to the decor we've planned. The only people who have seen anything on my board (which I created after getting engaged) have been people who have requested to see our ideas to help them enhance their particular jobs, such as the caterer/baker, the florist, and photographer. 
  • Options
    OMFG. She needs a hobby. 
    She has one.. paper crafts obviously ;-) 
  • Options
    What are you talking about, I can't wait to have my burlap and lace mason jar themed Great Gatsby wedding with brideslaves and a cash bar, and my guests are going to LOVE the poems I found about how they should give me money and pay for their own drinks. I've been planning this since I was like 14, I can't wait to take tons of pictures of my butt and my brideslaves' butts on my wedding day, I even found the perfect rhinestone bride panties to match my 6 carat ring and see-through blinged out wedding dress.  It's going to be da best wedding evurrrrrr.
    CLASSIC!

• Options

I think my biggest objection to wedding boards pre - engagement is that they seem like the bride is doing all the planning -- leaving out entirely the groom, you know, the guy who asked her to marry him.

THIS! Anyone remember the story about the lady who had the entire wedding in a binder before her guy proposed? Just can't imagine how the groom would feel, "oh hey I planned my perfect day, so glad you came along to stand in at the ceremony! Your opinion doesn't matter it's all about MEEEE!!!!"

I do have a few friends who started Pinterest wedding boards before they were engaged, but they knew they would be engaged soon. I didn't, felt weird planning a day when it wasn't for sure yet.

• Options
    total side note: does anyone elses FI use pintrest? Mine does, it's always amusing to scroll through my main page I can see when he was awake (he works over nights) It will be cookies, pies, DIY arts and crafts, cute clothes, hair styles from my girlfriends and then all of a sudden... Guns, Trucks, DIY powertool requiring home improvement ideas, comic books, more guns, some hot chicks holding guns...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards