August 2014 Weddings

I feel so behind!

SenecafSenecaf member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
edited December 2013 in August 2014 Weddings
Just over 8 months till August. All that I have done so far is book my venue and photographer. I haven't looked at dresses, cake, DJs (FIs job but I'm pretty sure he hasn't done it) anything!

I'm going to a bridal show next weekend, maybe that will kick my butt into gear.

Re: I feel so behind!

• Auglaize14Auglaize14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013
    Don't sweat it! My wedding date is August 2nd and all I've done is book my minister, ceremony, and reception venue. I told myself after the first of the year that I'm really going to get serious about planning - because who needs all that extra stress around the holidays?

Besides, I went to a wedding in September where the bride had a gorgeous dress, everything flowed smoothly, the cake was beautiful, and the music was great - all put together in six weeks. So we've got plenty of time! :P
    Anniversary
  • @Auglaize14, we're wedding twins! My wedding is the 2nd as well.

I think we're all in the same boat. So far, I've only gotten the venu and DJ booked. We got lucky with the venue as it will cover the ceremony, receptin and, catering. We knocked that out in one shot so that helped. I haven't  even begun to look at dresses or cakes. Like Auglaize said, "Who needs that stress over the holidays?" We'll get there. I've seen some beautiful weddings come together in short amounts of time. It can be done and we all still have plenty of time to plan. So, no worries. I think after the first of the year, we will get started too.

Congrats!

• My wedding is August 1 and all we have booked is the venue! I just got my dress and we had our first meeting with a caterer today. We are meeting with a photographer and Dj on Monday. We both work in schools so we are on holiday break and hoping to get as much done as possible now, but for people with normal work schedules I would say relax and enjoy the holidays! The only thing I worried about before booking our venue was that it is "engagement season". We got engaged in early November but wanted to beat the rush of Christmas engagements if they were going to book up the venues and vendors!
  • I'll raise you--wedding is August 2 and we don't even have the venue yet! We just got engaged 2 weeks ago but FI is moving up to where I live to start school at the end of August, so we're having a short engagement. We're planning a non-traditional reception venue (fingers crossed for an upscale bowling alley) so I'm not super concerned about that being booked, but musicians, photogs, etc....yikes!
  • Even though mine is Aug 30 I feel like I'm in the same boat, but trying not to stress. It will all come together. Reading these posts helps me not feel so alone. Wanting to go with a wedding planner that is at the same company as my caterer. Hoping to get that situated. Working on photographer. Only thing set is the Venue. Reading the checklist from this site gets overwhelming too.
  • I'm in the same boat. I'm getting married August 9. I booked the church, reception, and have talked to the caterer but haven't booked as of yet. I wanted to wait until after the holidays to get on board. Don't worry ladies, we still have plenty of time.

• I'm glad I'm not alone. I think the venue only got booked because I was afraid the dates would get booked. I'm slightly overwhelmed by all the stuff that needs to be done!
  • Talk to older married women, it helps you feel better! A few that I have talked to about feeling behind think that it is ridiculous because 6 month engagements were pretty common in their time. Now we have bridal magazines telling us that if you have not booked your officiant, florist, etc 9 months ahead then we are doing something wrong! I know the industry has changed but it helps to put things in perspective....... Nevertheless I am pretty excited that we booked a Dj, photo, and video package this week!
  • So at the bridal show I went to I got "scolded" basically by a dress shop because "9 months is like next week in wedding time"

What?? Ugh, that bothered me so much I'm not going to shop there!
  • Senecaf said:
    So at the bridal show I went to I got "scolded" basically by a dress shop because "9 months is like next week in wedding time" What?? Ugh, that bothered me so much I'm not going to shop there!
    I'm afraid of this. All we have done so far is looked at a venue and I just emailed them to see if the weekend we want is available. We had originally chosen a Feb 2015 date but after 9 years, we just want to get married! So I'm in freaking-out-panic-mode because we just literally (like tonight) chosen August to be our wedding date. 
  • We booked the venue in October because they get unavailable pretty fast in the DMV area. They provide the catering too so that was a good all in one. I am concerned though about the wedding dress because I have read they take months to arrive (6-8). My day is August 31th and i want to go and try them on but I want to loose weight too! :(

• I booked my venue last August, got my dress in November, and just booked the officiant, but feel totally unmotivated to do anything else. I feel like any time I do anything involving the wedding, it brings drama, so now I'm just scared because I wanted to enjoy this time of my life and I'm really not. All I ever heard was how exciting it is to plan a wedding, but I'm finding it's totally the opposite, and it's making me not want to do anything! 
    @jessicafer, you're fittings are way closer to your date so you can still choose your dress and lose weight, I had 2 friends that did that and they both looked beautiful! 
  • I feel the same way! My wedding is August 3 and we have so much to do! I want to get everything accomplished this month. We have the venue, church, photographer and I ordered my dress. Every day we have off this month we are doing something wedding related. I'm going to feel so much better once we have everything else booked!
  • Senecaf said:
    So at the bridal show I went to I got "scolded" basically by a dress shop because "9 months is like next week in wedding time" What?? Ugh, that bothered me so much I'm not going to shop there!
    I feel your pain. I was at a bridal show last week and I told a vendor I picked out my engagement ring before my fiance bought it. The vendor replied with "Why didn't you just send him to the store with a wad of cash?" Uh, you just lost a customer. Thanks for playing.
    Anniversary
  • I'm in the same boat!  Things we have done: venue, DJ, dresses, honeymoon, stationary, alcohol, and decor.  Things we need to figure out: day of coordinator (our venue provides nothing: it's a barn), officiant/ minister, caterer (have 2 in mind), cake, photographer, hotel block, rentals, and a bunch of other little things.  It's hard for us b/c we're planning it in my home state, 12 hours away from us, so we can't easily stop in places.  

Hopefully our caterer options will get back to us soon, cause that's kind-of important, as well as the minister.  FI's job is to figure out the hotel block and tell the caterer (once we have one) what the final foods are.  FMIL keeps suggesting I hire a planner, but first off, I've been an event planner before-I know what I'm doing; second, I don't have that in the budget; third, we're paying for everything ourselves so all decisions are ours.

• Starting to get a little anxious also.  Our date is August 16th.   We have our church, venue (it provides the catering), photographer, DJ, photo booth, and day of coordinator.  I ordered my dress mid-December and just received a card saying it should be in May 8th. 

Still need to find a florist, block hotel rooms, arrange rentals, and invitations.   Working on Save the Dates this weekend

Still feeling a little behind everytime I look at the checklist on this site. 

• I'm finally going to look at dresses this weekend. I called a bridal shop and was told that I still have time but that I should probably try and find my wedding dress this weekend if at all possible. I have my venue, photographer, officiant, and save the dates done. I just need to get my florist, chair covers, and bakery booked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Got our bridesmaid dresses! And pretty close to booking our caterer. Ordered save the dates and sending them next weekend...
  • I don't feel so bad now. I've felt like a lazy bride! Wedding is Aug. 16 and we have ceremony and reception venues, photographer, and we sent the STD's out before Christmas. Picking up my dress this weekend (!!) have the maids dresses taken care of, now need to settle on hotels, caterers, rentals, officiant, and the rest of the "little" things. The FH has insisted on helping with the centerpieces and other things, but getting him as motivated as I am, is almost impossible!
  • This makes me feel better. I've got the venue booked (we are having the ceremony and reception at the same place), dress just came in the mail today, photographer is taken care of, next things on the list are finding Bridesmaids dresses, a dj and talking to the caterers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards