Getting in Shape

Weight Watchers Vs. My Fitness Pal

About a year ago I signed up and did three months on Weight Watchers. I loved it. I lost 12 pounds, which I was so proud of. I loved that it was a lifestyle change. However, once my three month discount trial ended, it became more costly and I couldn't continue it. I thought I would be able to continue the lifestyle, but thanks to FI, who isn't weight conscious at all, that didn't last. Over the course of the past year I put that 12 pounds back on, plus three more. Ugh.

I signed up for My Fitness Pal because it's free, but I'm not loving it so far. There aren't as many features as weight watchers (such as recipe builder), but the price is right for sure.

Just wondering if anyone has tried both and can shed some light on some good points of MFP. Otherwise, I may just bite the bullet and switch back to WW.

Re: Weight Watchers Vs. My Fitness Pal

• I have used both. I had a very similar experience with WW. I lost over 20 lbs and have put back on 30. I have used My Fitness Pal in the past, I liked the exercise part of it but the food part isn't as good. I recently kid of got restarted and was playing around with using WW for the food and My Fitness for working out. I have not found a perfect answer though... clearly as I am still trying to lose for my wedding. My favorite free app was "Lose it" which is great and easy to use. Sometimes I think paying for WW helps because if I am spending money I have to be good.
  • Thank you for starting a discussion about this!  I am most likely joining Weight Watchers within the next week and have often wondered the pros and cons.  One thought...my health insurance gives me a discount off of Weight Watchers Online.  It's not a HUGE discount, but one that will be a little helpful.  Maybe check and see if your health insurance does the same?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for starting a discussion about this!  I am most likely joining Weight Watchers within the next week and have often wondered the pros and cons.  One thought...my health insurance gives me a discount off of Weight Watchers Online.  It's not a HUGE discount, but one that will be a little helpful.  Maybe check and see if your health insurance does the same?

Can't escape the box!

This is awesome to hear that they do that. Unfortunately mine doesn't. However, they do give a discount if you can offer proof that you have been to the gym at least 90 times during a one-year period. I would love to get that, but I think you have to have a worker at the gym sign-off on a paper when you go. I go to the free gym at my apartment complex, which has no employees. :(

Good luck with WW though. I really did enjoy being on it. I loved the recipes, as well as the recipe building app and the bar code scanner. Maybe I'll just spring for the membership.
  • @aurorajanette That is interesting about going to the gym 90 times...I have never heard of that.  That is really annoying that there are no employees there for you to get the credit for going!

Thank you!  I am really nervous, but excited.  As I keep saying to myself, I never want to look back at my wedding pictures and think, "Why couldn't you just lose those 15-20 lbs?"  So that is definitely giving me motivation.  I was slightly unhappy with how I looked during our engagement pictures...so I really keep thinking of that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @aurorajanette That is interesting about going to the gym 90 times...I have never heard of that.  That is really annoying that there are no employees there for you to get the credit for going!

Thank you!  I am really nervous, but excited.  As I keep saying to myself, I never want to look back at my wedding pictures and think, "Why couldn't you just lose those 15-20 lbs?"  So that is definitely giving me motivation.  I was slightly unhappy with how I looked during our engagement pictures...so I really keep thinking of that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There actually is a recipe builder on MFP, and you can't beat free! 

I have many friends who have been very successful with MFP. I think once you really give it a chance, you'll realize how many features it has and save yourself lots of money!
  • I was also going to say there is a recipe builder on my fitness pal. I just signed up for weight watchers online for the second time.  Last time I did it, about three years ago, I too did it for the three months and lost some weight then cancelled and gained it back.  I tried doing my fitness pal, but for some reason I just didn't do as well.  I think like someone said, since I was paying for weight watchers it gave me more motivation.  I signed up again because I got a postcard from them for 50% off the three month membership since I had been a member before.  
  • ElcaB said:
    There actually is a recipe builder on MFP, and you can't beat free! 

I have many friends who have been very successful with MFP. I think once you really give it a chance, you'll realize how many features it has and save yourself lots of money!
    Oh awesome! I'll have to see if I can find that on the site. I have been "building" my own recipes on there by just adding ingredients that I used into the food tracker, but if there is a better system for it I'd really like that. Thanks!
  • I just cancelled my WW and started with MFP.  I feel like MFP so far has a little bit better of a food selection.  They do have a recipe builder now too (I used it the other night).  The big kicker for me though is that MFP links with my Fitbit and they work together.  There was no way for me to do that with WW without buying their ActiveLink product (which is not nearly as good).  If you are considering a Fitbit, MFP is by far the way to go (and free!!).
  • The thing I miss about WW is the support you get from others - I think SS community is free but I feel weird on there if I'm not paying for a membership.  I love MFP with fitbit though, without my fitbit I have to say I'm not as inclined to track because I don't get any additional calories and for some reason it makes me a little sad.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards