Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding April 2014

Hi All,

I just got engaged last week and we want to get married in the next 3-4 months. We are thinking about a destination wedding in the Caribbean or Mexico, since we don't want anything big. We want to do somehting in March or April of this year.

Am I crazy to think we can pull this off?

Thanks!

Nicole

Re: Destination Wedding April 2014

• Options
    We decided on our DW in October (although it's only a few hours away, and very small). If you are very organized, and get started quickly I'm sure you can make it work. Start getting organized, and then get invites out ASAP so people have time to plan. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think you are crazy at all. Where there is a will there is a way!! I've found the hardest part is picking a location. there are so many amazing options. After that it's all icing on the lovely wedding cake :) Congrats! 
  • Options
    Hi,

We got engaged in June and are doing a Feb 2014 wedding at Sandals in Jamaica. We have 36 people coming. I preferred March over February, but we did Feb for personal reasons.

We got a lot of mixed feelings from friends. My friends with kids aren't going. My fiance has more friends with less kids and they are going. Going happily, I am not sure, ha.

We planned in August and final payment was due by December, so that is another thing to consider. Most resorts do the 60, 45 day payment.

daveandkath.com for pricing and other info!

Hope this helped! Good luck!
  • Options

I am getting married on cruise ship, while its docked in port before leaving for 7-day Caribbean cruise.  It is affordable and simple.  Their wedding packages run about $1500-$2000 (+ cost of cruise) and that includes ceremony, reception, food, open bar, DJ, cake, flowers... everything.  And since they provide everything, you can do it all relatively quickly and have few decisions to make. You can still customize a lot of it too.  But, once you book the cruise and wedding, you don't need to do anything or submit your choices for flowers, cake, etc. until about 4-6 weeks before wedding, so really you could plan the whole thing and get married in as little as 2 months. We booked and started everything about a year in advance, but now all my planning is on hold until about 2 months before wedding because there isn't anything I need to do.

So you are not crazy. There are lots of options for wonderful DW's in short time frame.  The only big timing issue with that quick is that you may not be able to get many choices on wedding gowns, since many take 6 months or so to come in.  So you will have to find something off the rack, buy used, or find something at a trunk show, of which there are still some amazing choices and often much better pricing. 

• Options
    Totally doable, like @nicoann said. I am doing it too! We got engaged on Christmas 2012 and always wanted a elopement destination wedding. We decided on April 2014 in Grand Cayman. We even picked out the location to hold it at right away. However, I procrastinated and did not reserve the place till September 2013. As a result I didn't get any of my first choice days, but many other days were still available and was able to book one the worked. We just booked our airfare and hotel on Thanksgiving weekend. Last month, as a last minute thing, we decided to invite our families. I informed the wedding coordinator the we wanted a ceremony with chairs, a dinner reception for 16 people, photographer, flowers, etc, and it was no problem. I am actually emailing her next week with some additional requests and I do not anticipate any issues. I assume since they hold weddings almost everyday all these vendors are almost "on staff". Our families have been able to book hotels and flights, but things are more limited (peak season and school vacation week) and prices were increasing daily. Some still have not booked flights/hotels or gotten passports, but my passport renewal only took four weeks. I ordered my dress from David's Bridal (the Vera White collection) on 12/3 and it just came in last week and they quoted 10 weeks. My MOH's dress was order a week after mine and it was also quoted 10 weeks. I am a little concerned about my dress alteration timing, but that is because I am also ordering custom flip flops from Etsy, which I need to hem to. Lastly, many places do same day on/off a cruise. I know my location offers a simple, quick, small package for as little as $700! Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards