Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Kids at reception

2»

Re: Kids at reception

• Options

Public Service Announcement: the second you start inviting people to attend your wedding, it goes from being "MY DAY" to being "A DAY THAT I'M SHARING WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHOSE NEEDS HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED."

Also, i know "MY DAY" makes peple sound selfish and entitled...but my biggest problem with it is that it seems to indicate that the day is all about the bride and that the groom has nothing to do with it.  If you're going to be selfish and entitled, can you at least call it "OUR DAY" to indicate that the groom is actually involved?  Unless of course his thoughts and comfort are also being ignored along with the guests'.

• Options
    Jennja is spot on. Your coworkers are not going to be honest with you. I know I wouldn't be b/c I wouldn't want to insult you and have to work with you. I would just smile and nod unless you asked me in all seriousness if I thought your etiquette was poor. This is a forum for advice, so when you post here, that's what you'll get. In real life, people generally aren't looking for advice when they talk about their wedding plans, and unsolicited advice is seldom welcome.

Good luck with your planning, though! Sorry our style doesn't meet your needs. I hope you find what you're looking for elsewhere. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    laurynm84 said:
    I've heard of some family members opening their home and offering refreshments to the other guests during the gap. Maybe she is doing something like that?
    Gaps still suck. That's common in my family since the Catholic wedding tends to be at 10:00 or 11:00 and then the reception starts at 5:00. Everyone is stuck in their dress clothes all day, kids get super bored/itchy, the adults' patience runs out, and everyone is beyond excited to get to that bar and eat something substantial after snacking on crackers and fruit at the relatives' house (which is often cramped and can't fit everyone).

It's just a bad idea all the way around. In fact, because we hate those gaps so much, a lot of family members skip the wedding and just show up for the reception. You'll see about 50 people at the wedding and then 175-200 at the reception. It defeats the entire purpose of the day.

When my brother got married, they found a church that would marry them at 3:00. They moved their cocktail hour up to 4:00 and served dinner at 5:30. It was perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards